Create custom shape as a border

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Create custom shape as a border

Postby CAPT VIDEO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:08 am

I would like to put a thin border around a Maple Leaf logo and have it come alive using a keyframe transition. Much like I have seen here using cookie cutter shapes as layers placed underneath. Can a custom shape be created using the logo pic which is a .png format in PSP ? I have read some of the tutorials for Elements 6 & cs3 but still havn't got it, not too handy with either. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Esteemed Member

Re: Create custom shape as a border

Postby marjolijn1957 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:14 am

I work with PE6.
Do i understand you correct you want to use the shape of the maple leaf as a border?

Postby CAPT VIDEO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:02 am

Yes, I would like to create a thin border around the logo by enlarging the created shape slightly and placed underneath the original logo. I know that this can be done in cs3 by using the pen tool and outlining the maple leaf, but I thought there may be a way to do it in PSP using masks & or vignettes.

Thanks. Rick

Esteemed Member

Postby marjolijn1957 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:25 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: I reaaly don't know but I think tis is not be done in PSP because you can't crop a special selection. Perhaps it could be done with a mask when you heve the right shape.
I guess the most easy way is to make a border in PE6 or CS. Maybe your wish can be done with the first steps creating an Out of Bound picture. That's the way I use to make a PNG image with a border. I hope you understand me.

Postby trulytango » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:16 am

Hi Rick

Is your maple leaf logo a solid image/graphic on a transparent background? If so, you can easily select it and generate a decent outline around it by using Photohop/Element's 'Stroke' feature. When this new image is placed beneath the original, you could have it appear via a radial layer transition (or similar) as per the cookie-cutter demo I have on my site.

Hope that helps

Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby trulytango » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:51 am

A better alternative...assuming the maple leaf is a PNG image that when placed in a slide in PSP, the background is visible around it i.e. it's a png embellishment as opposed to a rectangular image file - then you can achieve a border directly in PSP.

Firstly, size and position your image, then duplicate the layer by right-clicking on the layer and choosing 'duplicate layer'. Now with the lower of the two layers active, go to Layers>Editing and in the 'Adjustments' box, slide the 'Black Point' slider up to 100%, This should turn the lower leaf image into a solid white shape - this worked fine on a leaf png used at my end. Playing with a combination of sliders will result in different colurs being achieved.

After that, increase the size of the lower graphic slightly and choose a 'radial' layer transition to make the border appear around your image - as per the cookie-cutter demo you saw on my site.

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby CAPT VIDEO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Thanks Iris,
I did as you suggested and it worked great, such a simple proceedure to achieve the wanted effect. I'm sure others may be interested in this simple proceedure. Your site was my inspiration for this effect. I had tried several attempts in Elements without good results, I will try to get more proficient in CS & Elements, know any good tutors?

Regards, Rick

Postby trulytango » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:38 pm

You're very welcome, Rick. Glad I could help. :D

To answer your question re a good tutor for Photoshop/Elelments, there are many fine tutors and knowledgeable individuals 'out there'. Coming to slideshow making as I did a few years ago, with an existing interest in digital scrapbooking... I learned an awful lot of interesting techniques from Linda Sattgast (Adobe's Digital Scrapbooking Guru), that I have been able to transfer to my shows.

TTFN
Iris

Postby CAPT VIDEO » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks again Iris,
Do you have and email address for the Guru? Also, I am looking for an effect where a car would come bursting thru the front picture leaving a torn opening as it passes thru. I have looked at the same effect at "out of the box" in their leasure package, would have to purchase the entire package though, and not exactly what I wanted. Do you have any thing like that available for purchase?

Later, Rick

Postby trulytango » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:45 am

Hi Rick

If you have an idea for your own particular 'take' on an existing style, you should consider contacting the creator of the original style. With any luck Anita over on Outside the Box can adapt her style for you, rather than having the entire thing built from scratch elsewhere. Either way you will have to pay for what you want. A style adaptation sounds the cheaper route.

What I can say about the effect you want is that the skills required outside of PSP to execute it, lie in an image editor such as Elements - and that's before the complicated task of compiling the slide itself. And the skills required for the image content of the styles you mentioned happen to be ones that fall within the skillset of a competant digital scrapbook designer/artist i.e. cutouts, partial layers, torn edges etc.

Profile - Linda Sattgast
http://www.photoshop.com/spotlights/linda-sattgast

Linda Sattgast online training and DVDs
http://www.scrappersguide.com/

TTFN
Iris

Postby heckydog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:35 am

CAPT VIDEO wrote:Thanks again Iris,
Also, I am looking for an effect where a car would come bursting thru the front picture leaving a torn opening as it passes thru. .....
Later, Rick

Don't know what kind of graphics editor you have, but here's a link to a tutorial on how to achieve the effect.

http://www.photoshopessentials.com/phot ... h-through/

Joe

Postby trulytango » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:10 am

Nice link, Joe 8)

Postby heckydog » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:50 am

That was a clever idea so I saved the link. I had also seen a tut similar to this of a skier flying out of a snowy ski run scene but I can't find that one :(

That would be a nice project to do. Several different ones with one, two, or three punch outs. Sort of like how you can get bullet holes or broken glass png files.

Hey! Somebody already shot holes in my idea. :lol:

Joe

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks