Using Low Res Video Files for Editing

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Using Low Res Video Files for Editing

Postby Joseph Allen » Mon May 16, 2011 11:31 am

Will this workflow work?

Shoot Video Footage
Batch Process Raw footage using transcoder (Streamclip, etc) to low res files
Import and Edit Low res footage in PSP
Close PSP
Replace Low Res footage files with Hi Res files (that have the same name as the low res files)
Restart PSP
Render Final Video

Re: Using Low Res Video Files for Editing

Postby im42n8 » Mon May 16, 2011 12:29 pm

Instead of a video, try the experiment with a still graphic. The same principle applies. It "should" work . . . but I'm doubtful.

I'd recommend doing your editing with the low res video version. Then, when all editing stuff is done (and you've got your show where you want it), drag-drop the high res version over the low res version on the layer. Let it import and regen the cache (go to dinner or take a break), then export the final show to the format desired.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Joseph Allen » Mon May 16, 2011 12:49 pm

Dragging a new layer might not work because if any editing was done to the individual clips.

I'll give it a shot alter tonight.

What is PSP doing with the Cache? Is it using the Cache for Video rendering, or the original video clip.

Postby im42n8 » Mon May 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Joseph,

Kind of think of the PSP cache file as a kind of transcoding.

If you make changes (brightness, cropping, rotation, pan, zoom, etc) to a layer (image/video), the image/video dragged on top of that layer should inherit those changes.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Joseph Allen » Mon May 16, 2011 1:43 pm

Dale,

Thanks! Is the Cache being used for full transcoding? Or is it just being used to hold metadata like and XMP file in Photoshop.

I'm anxious to find out with my test this evening if I can edit using low res video clips, then swap them (with PSP closed) before the render for good results.

Cheers!

Postby heckydog » Mon May 16, 2011 2:01 pm

Why do you want to use low-res video and then swap it out for hi-res?

If there's that much video that it's bogging down PSP, you may want to re-consider your work flow and use a video editor instead. Just a thought.

Joe

Postby Joseph Allen » Tue May 17, 2011 2:50 pm

Joe,

You bring up a good point. I have played around with Premiere and Vegas. The problem I;m having with "real" video editors is their transitions and captioning. I created a short 30 second clip the other day that was all pretty much video.

I was able to use layers for linked captions, slide audio for voice overs, and two different sound tracks that matched up to clips that all had music.

The only thing that was slow to me was the video import piece.

Maybe I need to spend more time in Sony Vegas, but I do like the story line of the ProShow Products. Plus the text and graphics layering workflow in PSP is pretty simple to use, but provide very nice and advanced results. The big limitation is the video import.

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks