Need to Create a DVD in PAL format -- help!

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Need to Create a DVD in PAL format -- help!

Postby collsh » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:45 am

Hi folks:

I have some family overseas that I'd like to send a DVD of family photos. I know this needs to be in a PAL format, but I've never done this before.

Can anyone give me some instructions on how to do this without changing my original format? I've not done this before and I don't want mess anything up.

I'm fairly new to Proshow Producer and absolutely LOVE it! I've had so much fun creating slideshows, but I'm pretty much just using the basics right now.

Would appreciate any suggestions you might have. :)

Re: Need to Create a DVD in PAL format -- help!

Postby compass » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:00 am

When you create dvdin the options tab down the left hand side there is a drop down menu under tv system . Select Pal.
Chris

Postby collsh » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:33 pm

Thank you Chris. This won't change my original file will it or does it just create another file in the PAL format?

Postby compass » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:37 pm

It will only burn the dvd in PAL. After burning your PAL disc you can go back in and revert to NTCS.
No harm done.
Chris

Postby Vogelaus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:19 am

You really dont need to produce your DVD in PAL as almost without exception all PAL DVD players (and PAL TVs) will happily play NTSC . However, the reverse is not true for US NTSC DVD players that generally wont play PAL DVDs. So you cant play your PAL DVD to see if its OK although I am sure it would be. I have never had any prolems with burning PAL or NTSC.
Hope this Helps

Postby bonalymac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:35 am

As someone who lives in a PAL area (UK) and who has a had some (admittedly) limited expereience of problems, I would suggest that

almost without exception all PAL DVD players (and PAL TVs) will happily play NTSC

is a bit too optimistic!

Many will quite happily play an NTSC DVD, quite a few will not.

In particular, older models often may not. Some players may also show the video in black & white by default, although you can probably change this in the player options if the user knows how to.

Since burning a PAL DVD in Producer is so simple, I suggest you avoid the possibility of problems (however small) by burning in PAL format.
Colin

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:10 am

Follow Chris's advice to burn in PAL.

PAL is not compatible with NTSC and vice versa.
PAL is of a better quality due more scan lines and file size just a little larger.
You do not have to change anything else.

Current DVD players can play NTSC, PAL and SECAM.
Current TV can sense automatically the format of the DVD and switch accordingly.
But I would rather have PAL.

All formats can be 4:3 or 16:9 and paln accordingly.
regards.
pd

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks