adjustment mask

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

adjustment mask

Postby reptep » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:23 am

Tyring to move and adjustment layer mask from left to right on the screen so that the dark portion of the mask will show the picture in color and the white portion will keep the picture in black and white
I have the gradient adjustment set with the black portion in the middle section of the picture and kf set1-2 set so mask should move from left to right to have pic show in color in middle portion only
It's 1)not moving although the KF show correctly. and 2)it's not making the black portion show color
I just learned about adjumsent masks recently and not sure if I have it set correctly.
Any suggestions
My layers are

1)Smaller photo in color
2)Adjustment mask moving left to rt
3)full size b/w photo.

Suggestions from the experts is much apprecieated

Thx
Todd

Re: adjustment mask

Postby anitaemile » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:04 am

To me it sounds like you have been reading some kind of hocus pocus book :D . I have no idea what you are trying to do, and I figure most don't either, or there would have been a response from those faster than me. Are you talking about an adjustment layer or a mask layer? What are you trying to accomplish? Would you like to make the color image disappear ? I get the idea you are confusing gray scale masks with adjustment layers .

If you let us know what it is that you are trying to do I am sure there will be an answer shortly.

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:38 pm

I'm sure I am confusing alot of things

I am trying to.....
Have b/w full frame photo in the backround, with a second layer as the smaller color foto (same picture) Then I want a mask?gradient?adjustment layer to come from left to right and colorize only the part of the backround picture that is within the maks portion and have the rest of the backround photo black and white. I am changing the shapeof the mask to be horizontal with a 1-2 inch prt that will show color of the backround picture. The smaller color photo on top remains constant thru the whold slide.

I thought the mask would have to be a gradient mask since I only want it to affect the 1-2inch mask portion whilte the remainder stays black and white

Postby anitaemile » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Is it this you want to accomplish ? ( I did not include a top image ) http://www.photodex.com/share/outsidethebox/cm6p9mg4

If so this is done with a mask. I used a alpha mask.
First layer is the mask- I used an alpha mask- ( I made it 16x100%, so I unlocked the x an y zoom) and moved the mask from -60x0 to 60x0. The mask is just a solid layer. If you use any color use it as an alpha mask, if you use white you can also make it an intensity gray mask and achieve the same effect.
Second layer is the color image. Third layer is the black and white layer.

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 pm

Well kind of.
With the mask, I am trying to move it from left to righ to expose the color portion of the black and white photo yet have the remaining part of the picture stay in b/w So I want wherever that mask it to reveal only color and the reset remain black and white. That's why I was thinking I needed a gradient mask set up as a adjustment mask so that a portion of the graident mask would show the color but leave the rest of the photo in black and white. I'm not talking about a different opacity.

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 pm

Anita
See this
http://www.photodex.com/share/toddy/kx6p9mg4

But what I'm trying to do is....I want the layer behind the mask to be full screen and b/w. Then when the mask moves over the b/w pic, I want the portion of the picture where the mask floats over to be color and the rest be b/w. Then the small photo I want just as is (which is on top

todd

Postby anitaemile » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:37 pm

I
anitaemile wrote:th the mask, I am trying to move it from left to righ to expose the color portion of the black and white photo yet have the remaining part of the picture stay in b/w So I want wherever that mask it to reveal only color and the reset remain black and white. That's why I was thinking I needed a gradient mask set up as a adjustment mask so that a portion of the graident mask would show the color but leave the rest of the photo in black and white. I'm not talking about a different opacity.

The color portion from the black and white photo? How can a black and white photo have a color portion ?. Gradient mask as adjustment mask? Do you want half of the image to be color, and half of it black and white? Do you want that to happen as if color slides in from the left over the black and white? http://www.photodex.com/share/outsidethebox/ak6p9mg4 Like so?

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 pm

Boy this is difficult trying to explain.

My full frame backround picture is actually a color photo. But what I want to do is slide the mask (which I have horozonzilly) over the backround photo to ONLY SHOW the color portion of that photo and leave the rest of the photo in black and white. I thought that had to be an ajustment layer set as a linear mask.? Obviously that is not working though
I made a slide style where a photo starts in black and white and when it reaches the adjustment layer mask it turns into color.

Postby im42n8 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Todd, Anita,

Here's an easy and simple setup that'll get you started.

Version 1. (3 layers needed) Put your image on the slide. Duplicate it.
On the lower image, desaturate it (Colorize it. Turn colorize on and set it to white, for the most "contrast").
Now, add a white full frame layer (solid or gradient) as layer 1. Change the zoom-x to 20%. Make it a mask (grayscale or alpha) of the full color image (layer 2). Change the pan settings of the mask layer. As it moves across the screen you will get the color image under the mask in place of the grayscale image (you'll see a color bar of the image move across the screen).

Version 2. (2 layers needed) Change the all white mask to an adjustment layer and then invert it. Next, colorize it to all white at 100% (that's what makes the area outside the AL a grayscale image). As the AL pans across the screen you should see a grayscale image with the color bar of the image showing through wherever the AL moves.

Hope this helps.

Dale
Last edited by im42n8 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:28 pm

Dale
Thank you . That's exactly what I needed and Version 2 is much easier. I have done this before but this time was trying it as an adjustment mask and just wasn't working that way.

Anita...thank you for sticking in there with me. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Postby anitaemile » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:01 pm

Aha, I see what you wanted.- Your video came in after my last attempt to understand what you wanted to accomplish-. I would have solved it with the mask method, which I find easier to work with than with the adjustment layer. But that's just that preset click in my brain I guess. Glad it got solved.

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:30 am

Anita
Yes got it solved. Not sure why I was trying to use adjustment mask.
I built a style like you have for sale in where the picture on the left starts as B/w and then turns into color once it goes through some color lines. I did it with an adjustment layer and that was why I was thinking I could do an adjustment mask for what I wanted.
Anyway wanted to mention thanks for putting gift certificates on your site. Tried to get some last December and apparently you weren't offering them so now that you are, it's on my christmas list

Todd

Postby anitaemile » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:31 am

Todd

If you are trying to achieve that effect: it looks nice if you make some shadows to make the illusion of depth, as if the layer travels over and under bars . If you manage to move that above the other layers ( also underneath a mask) you got yourself a nice effect.

Anita.

Postby im42n8 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:56 am

I concur with Anita. I also would go with the mask route since I have more control over what I want to do. Adjustment layers have their place but, since everything underneath an AL is affected by it, the AL must be carefully used so as not to affect those images or parts of images you don't want impacted by it.

There are a number of ways to create shadows to give that illusion of depth. And, it definitely usually improves the viewability of the effect.

Here's a trick that can help. Duplicate the layer that's doing the color bar, twice. One will be white (the same as the mask) and you will color the other one black. The white one will be an inverted grayscale mask of the black layer. The black layer will exactly follow the path of the white (mask) layer (which has the same pan and zoom settings as the mask that makes the color bar) but offset from it by a small amount (both horizontal and vertical). The amount of offset will determine the size of the shadow. Be sure to change the opacity and blur of the black layer to give it an appropriate shadow effect. These two layers should probably be beneath the color bar effect (but don't have to be unless you've used modifiers to pan follow. In that case, they should be below the layer they're following).

The advantage of this technique is that when the the color bar mask is faded away, the shadow layer will not show through.

Have fun.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby anitaemile » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:17 am

Ooops, I didnt' mean shadows , like how Dale describes them, but more like an overlay to create the illusion the image is traveling over the round bars which causes some kind of white shadow there where the image is bent over the bars. . I assume Todd was talking about a style from the color series where the image travels over, and under bars.
The way I achieved to show the image turned into B&W is to have the a colored picture travel through the bars from left to right, duplicated that same image and turned it into B&W, placed it underneath the colored image . The colored image was placed under a mask, but that mask was placed to where the bars ended. So you only see the colored image underneath its mask, that stretches to the end of the bars, and you only see the black and white image there where the other mask ended.
I also made negative and positive shadows as overlays for the bars and masked those with copies of the traveling images.

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks