Color correction with Colorize

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Color correction with Colorize

Postby Magmatic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:48 pm

I finally figured out that the Colorize feature on Slide Options Layers Editing can be use to color-correct an image! So, you don't have to bounce in and out of an external editor! I had not figured out how to do this until I noticed the Strength option. I can set the color to say, magenta, with a low strength, maybe 3. That helps get the green out of a shot. Or, if you want to warm up an image, use orange. Wonderful! And I don't see that mentioned in the manual! This would have saved me some time if I had figured it out earlier!
David Shuford

Re: Color correction with Colorize

Postby im42n8 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:39 pm

You can do similar things with an Adjustment layer (AL) where, instead of applying changes directly to the image you make changes to all images below the AL at the same time.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby becky_calif » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:06 pm

David,

Thank you for passing on that tip.
Becky

Postby debngar » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:01 am

This is exactly what Barbara's Photo shifters do. Set #3 has two styles that compensate for incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Check them out.

http://www.theframelocker.com/photoshifter-3.html

This quickie show displays other possibilities but I left out the 2 color correction styles since in this show.

"Photo Shifters" - No Photoshop Required!
http://doitallinproducer.com/2011/03/12 ... -required/
Last edited by debngar on Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:09 am

Yup, Shifters 3 has color-cast correction styles for incandescent and fluorescent lighting. Apply the style, maybe tweak it a touch if your photo is extreme, and you're done with it. They weren't built, however, using the Colorize + Strength method.

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby debngar » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:38 am

im42n8 wrote:You can do similar things with an Adjustment layer (AL) where, instead of applying changes directly to the image you make changes to all images below the AL at the same time.

Dale

The results may not be desirable on all photos below the AL if the images were all taken with the WB in the camera set to AWB. Applying a certain amount of warm or cool tone to one photo may not be what another photo needs to look right, color-wise. For best results, images should be taken in the same lighting conditions and the camera set to something other than AWB. If the camera is set to a particular WB, even if that's not the correct WB, THEN at least groups of images shot in similar color of light condition can usually be adjusted with the same amount of correction. Otherwise, they'll likely have to be corrected one by one.
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:23 am

I always shoot in RAW mode where there's no light balance setting at all, and since I don't do that much photography these days, I just process the photos individually with the RAW converter. Even after that, I've had any number of instances where the photo looks great until it gets into Producer, sometimes because of the color of the background or because of downsizing, and so adjustments have to made. Annoying amount of fiddling we do, right?

Barbara

Postby debngar » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:44 pm

BarbaraC wrote:I always shoot in RAW mode where there's no light balance setting at all, and since I don't do that much photography these days, I just process the photos individually with the RAW converter. Even after that, I've had any number of instances where the photo looks great until it gets into Producer, sometimes because of the color of the background or because of downsizing, and so adjustments have to made. Annoying amount of fiddling we do, right?

Barbara

I agree, that a RAW photo provides the most post-production color correction options because of the greater amount of information in the file. But many digital cameras provide numerous WB setting choices with which to shoot the image regardless of whether it's shot in jpg or RAW. Set it correctly before the image is shot, and color correction may not be needed in post production.

For instance, the choices on my Canon 5DMII and my P&S Canon SX1IS are as follows:

AWB (auto white balance - the camera makes the decisions and it can be different in every image)
Daylight
Cloudy
Shade (only on my 5dMII)
Tungsten
Fluorescent
Fluorescent H (for daylight calibrated fluorescent bulbs) (on Canon SX1IS only)
Flash
Custom WB (shoot a white card with the lighting in the scene photos will be taken and use that for the custom WB)
K (Kelvin temperature # setting - only on my 5DMII)

If I'm only shooting in one kind of color of light, such as Tungsten, I set it on that and shoot away. They will be fairly the right color without me having doing anything to correct the color afterwards.

What can really throw things off is having a Tungsten and Fluorescent lit scene - not fun! :(
Debbie

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:03 pm

There's no sense in my setting white balance since I'm likely to take a photo or two outdoors then some indoors, and then I might go down into my little studio and work with fluorescent. I'd spend more time setting WB on my camera (and forgetting I've done so) then quickly running the photos through Camera Raw. It's different if you're taking lots of photos all the time that fall into large groups taken in specific lighting conditions. Professional photographers need to find the speediest way to process their pictures, but for casual folks like me, it doesn't really matter. Even if the WB were set, I'd still spend time on each individual photo in Camera RAW because some nifty tools sit there.

Barbara

Postby Magmatic » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:48 pm

[quote="Magmatic"]the Colorize feature to color-correct an imagequote]

You're welcome for the tip, becky_calif.

Dale, using an adjustment layer is a way I had not thought of. I had tried using a regular layer. Your way is better, if you have more than one layer to adjust. But for one, Colorize works. A combination of the two could be used too. For example, if you want to color-correct and change saturation.
David Shuford

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks