Editing a transition

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Editing a transition

Postby compass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:44 am

I have just made my first transition but after viewing it in a show I am not happy with the result. Is it possible to edit it to make the changes I would like or have I to start again?
Thank you with any help you can give.
Chris

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Editing a transition

Postby pd » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:52 am

I assume that what you call a transition is actually a show. You can therefor adjust and tweak it as amny times you want. My advise is to work on a copy of it so that you can recover a bad move.
pd
regards.
pd

Postby compass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:00 am

In Producer 4.5 I have made a transition to add to the list of built in transitions.
But I do not seem to get back in to edit it.
Chris

Postby anitaemile » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:47 am

Chris

when you make a transition, you should save the slide you made it from. That is the only way you can go back and tweak it, and save it again. There is , as far as I know, no way you can change your transition .

Postby compass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:59 am

Thank you for your reply. I shall start again and save it as you suggest.
I always seem to learn the hard way.
Thanks again Chris

Postby BarbaraC » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:51 am

It's probably not a good idea to try revising a transition, and so the best bet is to always save the show where you created it, even if it's a one-slide show. When I first started creating them, it seemed like I had wreckage all over the place, not being able to find anything, so take a tip from me if you start getting prolific: Save the slides used for making transitions into categories so you can easily find the originals when you need to.

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby compass » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:12 am

Thank you barbara.
Chris

Postby AMD » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:09 pm

Chris,

I have edited several transitions by going into the transition cache file; of course, I was only editing colors or images. It has worked fine for me and, so far, no little "transition spook" devoured my computer in the process. For transitions that I personally make I do try to save them in one folder, though, for easy changes.

Ann

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:03 am

Hi Ann,

would love a little insight of how you do this. I looked into a transition with notepad and it appears risky unless you what you are doing. (Of course you work on a copy)
I have probably misunderstood your explanation a would love to know more about your method.
Thanks.
pd
regards.
pd

Postby BarbaraC » Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:06 am

Ann, the reason I warned about editing transitions is that it's phenomenally easy to edit the wrong one and lose it in the process. Those who are new to the software need to tread carefully in some areas, and since there are always newcomers showing up, I thought it prudent to issue a warning.

Barbara

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:26 am

BarbaraC wrote:Ann, the reason I warned about editing transitions is that it's phenomenally easy to edit the wrong one and lose it in the process. Those who are new to the software.............. I thought it prudent to issue a warning.

Barbara

Hi Barbara,
I have been around quite some time and still get lost........
The warning is pertinent. Over time, I have learned to always backup. That way you can always revert to your previous state. That way, you only loose some time and sanity remains intact. ( or thereabouts )

pd
regards.
pd

Postby AMD » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:49 pm

Barbara and PD,

You are so right about the backups. Also, when I have changed the image in a transition, I have simply renamed the original image by placing a letter or No. at the end of the original name and leave it in the folder. Of course, the only transitions I can change are the ones with videos or images that I can edit--not ones that have nothing in the cache folder.

PD, all I do is go into the Applications Folder and locate the Cache file under Transitions. Then, I make a copy of the image, make my changes, and rename it and copy it into the Cache folder. Then, I simply rename the original image as well as giving the changed image the name of the original one. (This way I am preserving the original image so that I don't inadvertently lose it). Of course, if the image was edited with Colorize off when the transition was created, you cannot change the color--as was the case with the Classic Wedding transition from Photodex as far as I could determine. Of course, if you elect to go back to the original transition, you would need to make sure that any shows you did with the adapted transition are "in the can."

Ann

Postby kojaysnana » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:19 pm

I have been wondering if I could make minor changes to those transitions, I am going to try it!!

Postby BarbaraC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:48 am

Once again, I want to stress caution because there's this thing called Murphy's Law. You know the one: Whatever can go wrong will go wrong.

Ann pointed out the problem of shows using the original transition, but be assured there's the likelihood of other problems lurking behind the potted plants just waiting to pounce. :D

Barbara

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks