Making a caption effect stay on screen longer

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Making a caption effect stay on screen longer

Postby mgator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:05 pm

Hello....this is my first post. I have previously read numerous posts and have found the information very helpful. I have used PS Gold since 2.5 but finally moved up to Producer 4.5 a few months ago. I love it. My primary use is to put together shows of the travels my wife and I have taken.

The problem I am having, and can't seem to solve, is how to have a caption/title remain on the screen for a longer period of time before transitioning into the next slide. In Gold I used to simply duplicate the end of one slide to the beginning of the next slide. I can't figure out how to do this using keyframes. I applied a complex caption style called "slow curling effect" where words come into view from different angles. I have added Keyframes to each of the words and then copied the end of one keyframe to the beginning of the next in hopes the title would remain on screen longer....but it doesn't. I then copied the finishing positions onto a new slide hoping I could add a three second slide with no movement. Didn't work.

I don't know if any of this makes sense but if it does I would be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Re: Making a caption effect stay on screen longer

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:18 pm

I think I understand what you are asking. Two ways - you can do it the way you did in Gold, or you can do it with keyframes by having a slide that actually contains multiple images. You make the slide as long as you want the caption to be then use keyframes to make the various layers (images) come and go using opacity for each one as you want it to look. You could have a 30 second "slide" for example with 10 image layers and you could make each image layer show for 3 seconds or any combination (including zooming, motion, multiple images visible at the same time etc) during that 30 second slide. Now your caption can be 30 seconds long during that full slide. Is that what you were wanting to do ??

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Postby mgator » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:49 pm

Mikey....thanks for responding. Here's my problem. After applying the style in slide one it goes thru the set movements but the final caption only lasts for a moment, not enough time to really read it. I'd like that final caption to last for 3 to 4 sec. before transitioning into the next slide.

When I right click on the 2nd keyframe and select copy settings I get the dialogue box and choose slide one keyframe two, choose the settings to transfer...only x and y motion....and then check slide two as the destination I get the message..

please select one or more destinations to copy to (I thought that's what I did)

What I'm trying to do is copy the exact setting at the end of slide one to slide two and let it remain on screen without moving for 3 or 4 seconds. I can't figure out how to do that by adding a keyframe to the first slide with no change between two and three or copying settings to next slide.

Shouldn't I just be able to add a keyframe to slide one. duplicate the settings from keyframe two to keyframe three and have the caption end up staying on the screen for a set duration....sorry for rambling but it's driving me crazy _er.

Postby anitaemile » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:34 pm

Is the caption ending before the slide ends? Or is the caption visible only at the very end of the slide and that is too short to read? What exactly do you want? Do you want to continue the caption in the next slide ? ( which means there should be just a cut transition), and if so, the caption should end at the end of the slide, Not somewhere before the end of the slide. Or do you want the slide to be longer so the caption would show longer?
First, drag the last keyframe of the caption to the end of the slide (if it isn;t there already), You can either extend the duration of the slide by adding time , or you can copy the caption to the next slide. Not like how you were going about it, but by clicking the copy motion effects icon ( left side of screens , in Effects>Motion effects, and choose: copy end to the next slide. There , in that next slide, you can drag the second ( last) keyframe from the caption to where you would like it to disappear. Hope you 'll get is solved before you'll turn insane. :D

Postby mgator » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:10 am

Thank you Mikey and Anita. My problem is solved and now I seek something else to drive me insane. Your responses helped me a lot.

I needed the caption to stay longer so that people could read it. I added a blank slide and attempted to copy the last frame of the title slide to it. No luck until I copied the first slide to the second and copied the position of the last keyframe to the first keyframe in the second slide. Eureka!!

Postby cherub » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:00 pm

mgator wrote:T
....No luck until I copied the first slide to the second and copied the position of the last keyframe to the first keyframe in the second slide. Eureka!!

It's easier if you use this button when you are in Caption Motion:

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks