How can I recreate this in Proshow? Scrapbook/iMovie

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

How can I recreate this in Proshow? Scrapbook/iMovie

Postby nenner1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Hi Everyone! :D

I am trying to make a slideshow of our recent Disney vacation. It will be a video scrapbook style and I saw this movie in youtube and was hoping to recreate something like it, only in Proshow.

Here is the example, it is actually a template from iMovie but I like the style and think I could jazz it up a bit in Proshow with some styles and transitions. You can see how it looks like you are moving from picture to picture in a scrapbook or photo album in the first 10 seconds or so of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMYPa4XSuk&feature=related

It seems like it would be easy to do, but I am just getting started. I do have Producer 4.5, but I've only made a few shows with it (this is actually my first show with the awesome 4.5, I was recently able to upgrade from 4.1).

Where I'm having some trouble is in a multi layered slide (say a background and two pictures), I want all three layers to move together so I can zoom in one one of the pictures then zoom out and pan over to the other, similar to what is happening in the youtube clip. Can this be done? (I haven't gotten it to work yet)..I'm OK with keyframing but I haven't done anything with modifiers. It appears I could create the slide just like a scrapbooking layout in Photoshop then plop the whole thing with layers merged into a slide in Proshow, but that seems like double the work. Or is that the only way? Also my show is 4:3 and has to stay that way because I am using the Photo Album Template as the opener. Originally I had my show at a custom 12x12 to match some of the scrap templates I have. I'm afraid if I have to pre-create the layouts in PSE that they will not "fit" right in a 4:3 aspect show.

Also transitioning smoothly between slides, I have been using the left push to simulate moving through the book (kindof like the effect in the example where you are sliding through it from left to right), but of course there are the seams in the background as you transition through from one slide to the next.

Is this more trouble than it's worth? I know it seems kind of lame to "rip off"an iMovie template but I was inspired by it and if I can just implement how I have it visualized in my head this will be a darn fun movie.

Thanks for any advice, ideas, or inspiration you can share!

:) Jen

Re: How can I recreate this in Proshow? Scrapbook/iMovie

Postby AMD » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:14 pm

If something like the following is the effect you wish to achieve, it can be done with a photo editor and the use of simple keyframes.

Ann

http://www.photodex.com/share/amd09/wkdd9mg4

Postby cherub » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Hi,

nenner1 wrote:Where I'm having some trouble is in a multi layered slide (say a background and two pictures), I want all three layers to move together so I can zoom in one one of the pictures then zoom out and pan over to the other, similar to what is happening in the youtube clip. Can this be done? (I haven't gotten it to work yet)..I'm OK with keyframing but I haven't done anything with modifiers.

Linking layers together and then zooming, is one of the setbacks of Producer, and the feature that goes at the top of my wish list for future releases.
For the time being the layers can be linked through modifiers, as you said, but when we come to zooming, things go haywire. I think that Dale has come up with some solutions. I'm not sure that in this particular case the many calculations are worth the trouble.

nenner1 wrote:It appears I could create the slide just like a scrapbooking layout in Photoshop then plop the whole thing with layers merged into a slide in Proshow, but that seems like double the work. Or is that the only way?

You can also use Producer to create everything, and then use the feature "Capture Frame" to zoom into everything and move along in your show.
Here is how:
Arrange everything (scrapbook elements and your pictures) in the way that you want. Make a large page, that goes beyond the actual preview of one screen.
You can use the Precision Preview at a lower percentage (say 30-40 % to see beyond your screen).

When you are satisfied with the arrangement, press on "Copy Start To End (All Layers)" to ensure that your slide is static and nothing moves. Then use the feature "Capture Frame(s)", by RIGHT clicking on your main preview.
I have a tutorial on my site about this, with more details about how to capture a frame.
https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0Aa64 ... l=en&pli=1

Save the captured frame in a large resolution, as a graphic file on your computer (perhaps as png).
Now you can reinsert it in Producer and start the zooming games.
You can do this in one slide, by using keyframes, or you can use multiple slides with similar content.

nenner1 wrote:Also transitioning smoothly between slides, I have been using the left push to simulate moving through the book (kindof like the effect in the example where you are sliding through it from left to right), but of course there are the seams in the background as you transition through from one slide to the next. :) Jen

In order to create a smooth animation between slides, do the following:
1. The second slide must start at the very same point where your fist slide ended. In order to achieve this, use "Copy End To Next Slide (All Layers)".
2. There should be no transition between slides. That is, an AB or a Cut transition of 0 time
3. Move right, left, or zoom in one slide, by keyframes or by layer transitions, and not by slide transitions.

I hope that this method will work for you.

Postby nenner1 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Ann, thanks so much, that's how I started it off. i have some great multi photo templates that work really well using that method. (And I already know how to do it...whee!)

Mona, thank you very much, I knew there had to be a way to do it all in Producer! I'm sure I will use both methods depending on the slide contents. And the transition advice is very helpful (so simple I must have overlooked it, ha ha!)

I'm having a lot of fun making this show, I can't wait to share it!! Thanks so very much for the help!!! :mrgreen:

:) Jen

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks