Delayed video start (How to?)

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Delayed video start (How to?)

Postby RobertJay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:04 am

Hi fellow enthusiasts!

Is there a way to set a delay before a video starts playing within a given slide, allowing the first image of this video to be displayed and frozen for a given amount of time before the video starts playing normally? (kind of mimic what users do on YouTube and other web stuff, but with no user action).

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Thank you,
Jay
Last edited by RobertJay on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Delayed video start

Postby heckydog » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:54 am

Not sure if this is the perfect solution but you can do a frame capture of the first frame of your video and add it as a slide before the video. Set the slide time to the amount of delay you need and set the transition time to zero.

Right-click on the preview screen and select Capture Frame(s) at the bottom.

Joe

Re: Delayed video start

Postby RobertJay » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:51 am

heckydog wrote:Not sure if this is the perfect solution but you can do a frame capture of the first frame of your video and add it as a slide before the video. Set the slide time to the amount of delay you need and set the transition time to zero.

Right-click on the preview screen and select Capture Frame(s) at the bottom.

Joe

Hey Joe, thank you very much for your quick answer. I appreciate. Actually I was thinking of using the method you suggest but was wondering if there exists a more PSP "native" way to do so... (mainly because, I have many short videos to embed in my show and would like to ease my workflow).

So I remain open to more suggestions :idea:
Jay

Re: Delayed video start (How to?)

Postby Dean Athans » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:51 am

Jay -

A variation on Joe's suggestion: Duplicate your slide and keep the pair side by side. On the first of the two slides, set the run speed of the video to "0". In the 2nd slide, set the video to whatever speed (normal, slow, fast, etc.) you want. Use a "cut" transition set to 0 sec.

I'm not near my home computer right now but think that you can scale the video speed all the way down to zero. If not, please ignore my suggestion!

- Dean
Dean A

Re: Delayed video start (How to?)

Postby RobertJay » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:55 am

Dean Athans wrote:Jay -

A variation on Joe's suggestion: Duplicate your slide and keep the pair side by side. On the first of the two slides, set the run speed of the video to "0". In the 2nd slide, set the video to whatever speed (normal, slow, fast, etc.) you want. Use a "cut" transition set to 0 sec.

I'm not near my home computer right now but think that you can scale the video speed all the way down to zero. If not, please ignore my suggestion!

- Dean

That is a brilliant idea Dean, thank you. I've tested it and it worked for me. Actually the slowest video speed you can get is not zero but 1 (if you push the cursor all the way left you actually get a display of "zero" but PSP sets it back to "2" automatically). Anyway, at this very low speed the video 1st frame is kind of frozen and that solved my problem.
Joe's suggestion was interesting but there was small a visible "jump" between the captured frame and the video, making it necessary to adjust all the positions...
Thanks again! and maybe the possibility of completely freezing videos 1st frames at a real "zero" speed can be a nice to have feature in future releases.
Cheers,
Jay

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks