Who's on top

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Who's on top

Postby reptep » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Tyring to create a symmetrical montage. 9 photos in a 3x3 arrangement.
Example on pg 211 of Experts book.
Couldn't understand fully the ratio however I shrunk them myself and placed manually
My question is....when I zoom each picture into the center of the screen and hold it there for a couple of seconds, how cdo I make sure every picture that zooms in is on the top of all the other photos. It doesn't seem to matter which layer they are in the slide.I'm zooming in but not large enough to cover the some of the other pictures. The book example shows each picture on top of the others. My first photo works fine. The corner of the second picture hides underneath the first picture and so on.
Thanks for suggestions and expertise
Todd

Re: Who's on top

Postby eric » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:39 pm

Todd, Zoom first image ( should be top one), zoom back to normal size. Second image ( now the top layer, you switch this layer to top at the moment the first layer has zoomed back to normal size) zooms out. Zoom back to normal. At moment that comes to normal size you set third image as top image and start zooming . So most layers will be present twice. Once as small image before zooming, underneath the layer that zoom, and once as top just when zooming begins.
eric

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 pm

Eric
So am I understanding you to say....My first layer, on top, I set my key frames for movement and zooming. Then once that is done, I move layer 2 up to layer 1, set key frames for motion and on and on? By the time I sent all of my keyframes for all 9 pictures, won't layer 1 be back on the top? Or does it have to do with where the layer is when you set your keyframes?

Todd

Postby im42n8 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:57 pm

Todd, you can do this all in a single slide easily.

You'll have duplicate images of the ones in the matrix. These duplicates are given 0% opacity and are located in layers above the ones in the matrix. When you zoom an image out, what'll actually be zoomed out will be the image from one of the upper layers, not the one in the matrix. To do that, you'll need to make sure the duplicate images have exactly the same starting and ending zooms, exactly the same start and end locations, and the exact same size (which may require you to crop or mask your images).

When the image goes full screen, the duplicate image will change from 0% to 100% opacity and then zoom out. After it zooms back in to its original location you will then make it go away (stop displaying) or set the opacity to 0% in a very short time. The viewer shouldn't notice any jumps in the image as the transparency of the duplicate is changed (that's why everything has to be exactly the same). They should never notice the change. When you do it this way, you don't have to work with multiple slides or worry about who's in a higher layer since the duplicate layers are transparent until needed.

So, set up your images for the matrix first. Set all positions and zooms and crops, as necessary. You won't need any additional keyframes for these images. Next, duplicate each the images (they'll retain the settings you set for each image). Now, set up the keyframes for changing the opacity and doing the zooming. Do this for each image in turn. Test each image for proper viewing motion, timing, etc. Once you've got the first image done, the rest of the images can then use it as a model. Doing it a step at a time will save lots of time and effort later (and some frustration).

Hope that helps.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Ron » Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi Todd
I was trying to figure out how to word my response to you when I noticed Dale's post. He said exactly what I would have said but only much more clearer.
1 slide, 18 layers (2 of each), 6 keyframes per layer, Opacity on dupe as described
Then save it as a Slide Style & you'll have it for future use.
Have Fun
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby eric » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:49 pm

Todd, To clarify your question to me, Imagine layer 1: kf 1 is where zoom starts ( say 0 seconds) kf 2 is where zoom stops ( say 1 second) kf 3 is to where it stays zoomed ( say 3 seconds) kf 4 is where layer one zooms back to original size ( say 4 seconds. ) Now at 4 seconds place duplicate of image 2 on top ( kf 1) and start zooming, so kf 1 is at 4 seconds, kf 2 ( full zoom) is at 5 seconds, kf 3 is fulll zoom full time at 6 seconds, kf 4 is zoom back to original size is 7 seconds. Now place the duplicate of layer 3 as first layer at 7 seconds , etc etc.

Have fun,
eric

Postby Ron » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:14 pm

Todd
Check you private message I sent something to you that might be of assistance.
Ron
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks for explanation Dale
Ron helped me alot also and finally got it working. Not sure I understand EVERYTHING about the style yet, but trying

Todd

Postby im42n8 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:36 pm

Take it a step at a time and work on a copy of what was provided you to play with. Turn off layers and see what each does (pay attention to any layer that acts like a mask to the one(s) below it too). You won't get it all immediately, nobody does. But, teaching yourself a little at a time and getting the basics down first will pay big dividends later. There's a lot to learn!

Good luck and have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks