Zoom Question

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Zoom Question

Postby jvlady » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:55 pm

I am starting off with a square photo centered on a square frame. I want the frame behind the photo to zoom out only to the left, with the top, bottom and right side remaining in place. I have unlocked the zooming ratio so the top and bottom are not an issue. The problem I'm running into is that the zoom goes from the center, so to widen it on just one side means I'm eyeballing the right side after zooming it hoping to get it in the exact same place. Is there a way to have the image zoom from the right side instead of the center, kind of like the rotation option? I'm sure there's got to be an easier and more specific way to do this that I'm not seeing.
Thanks for your help.
Sandy

Re: Zoom Question

Postby cherub » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:39 pm

jvlady wrote:I am starting off with a square photo centered on a square frame. I want the frame behind the photo to zoom out only to the left, with the top, bottom and right side remaining in place. I have unlocked the zooming ratio so the top and bottom are not an issue. The problem I'm running into is that the zoom goes from the center, so to widen it on just one side means I'm eyeballing the right side after zooming it hoping to get it in the exact same place. Is there a way to have the image zoom from the right side instead of the center, kind of like the rotation option? I'm sure there's got to be an easier and more specific way to do this that I'm not seeing.
Thanks for your help.
Sandy

Hi Sandy,
I'm not 100% sure that I understand the effect that you have in mind, but just one thing that I want to point out is this:
If you want one part of your image, to behave differently than all the rest of the same image, then that part cannot be the same image (layer).
Effects are usually based on things that trick the eye. We often use duplicates of the same image to create the "illusion" of just one picture.
In your case, I would try to use two parts for the same frame, or twice the same frame with the help of masks.

It could be that with the help of keyframes and adjusting the zoom each time, you could manipulate your frame the way you want, regardless. I don't think that unlocking the x and y is the answer.

But, then again, I might have misunderstood the effect that you want to make.

Postby heckydog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:24 pm

If I understand you correctly, this might show you one way to do what you need.

By doubling the canvas size in the way shown it moves the center of rotation to the right edge of the frame. Now when you unlock x and y and change the horizontal setting the right edge will stay stationary. To keep the left side stationary you would double the canvas size but put the frame on the other side.

Joe

Postby heckydog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:25 pm

duplicate :(

Postby im42n8 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:29 pm

This can be done easily. What you need to do is to notice where the left edge ends up when you zoom out to the desired zoom level. Then, on the keyframe where the zoom will stop, adjust the pan-x to a value which puts the left margin of the image at the location where it stated.

I often use this for certain types of zooming where I want one of the edges to appear to stay in one location while zooming. All it is is a matter of finding the value necessary to place that edge where you need it (when the zoom stops and for any keyframes thereafter).

Now, you may have to use a linear motion (for both the zooming and the pan-x values) and you probably want smoothing to be 0. I've found this reduces the tendency of the left edge to move during the zooming. That smoothing can really muck things up sometimes as can a non-linear motion.

Good luck! :D

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby jvlady » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:37 am

Thanks to all who replied. Dale, the smoothing was the trick - that's one (of many) aspect I haven't messed with much. I was basically trying to do what you suggested but it was jumping around.
Again - thanks to all - this forum is GREAT!!

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks