Slide Styles Got Me Beat.

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Slide Styles Got Me Beat.

Postby johnmac2007uk » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am

Hi Everyone:
Something I have found out “Got Me Beat”

Although I keep a fantastic Tree = Images/Music/Shows, this is for every show I make, so for that show everything is in one place.
SO
I have purchased Style Pack 4 & Style Pack Escapes, now once I had installed all software on my New PC, thus including PSP, I opened up PSP on my new PC, to view my latest shows I had made prior to buying new PC, it was a coming up saying “Files Not Found” this was always pointing in the direction of these 2 Style pack, what I had to do was locate each file that the missing Style was for then apply again (Although When I Opened The Slide Up, The Style Was Already Ticked) also I had same or/and intermitting Style problems with third party styles.

Just wondered why if style is installed, why at opening point it advises style missing.

“Remember That Only Happened On First Open Of Shows On New PC”

What causes that or is there something I can do to manage my styles.

John.
John Robert McNally
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
United Kingdom

Re: Slide Styles Got Me Beat.

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 am

Just wondered why if style is installed, why at opening point it advises style missing.

Hi John,
The answer is connected to the fact that you have a new computer, with newly installed styles, and to the fact that you are trying to open an old show, which is based on styles.

When you install a pack of styles, a kind of compressed form of these styles is placed in the right directory on your computer. These files have the extension pxs.
After you use a style for the first time, the style gets uncompressed, and a new small folder is created on your computer. This new folder contains an uncompressed version of the style, with all the information of the slide (a psh file), as well as all the graphic files that the style uses. These newly created folders are the cache of the styles.

When you make a show, the program keeps a record of all the files that are being used, and where they are located. For slides based on styles, it will record that the graphic material is located in the new folders that it created, in the cache.

On your new computer, since you haven't used the styles yet, there is no cache, but the program is still looking for it, because you are working on an old show, using an "old" record.
The solution is to recreate the cache, by reopening/using the styles again. You don't have to do this in the same show. You can do this in a new show. Just apply the styles, and the cache will be recreated.

A second solution is to copy the styles directory and the styles cache from your old computer, to your new computer.

I hope that this rather simplistic explanation is of help. If you need more details (such as the exact path of things in the program), please let us know.

Postby johnmac2007uk » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Mona:
"Explained Excellently" understood 100%.

Can you further guide me for future reference into how I:--
"A second solution is to copy the styles directory and the styles cache from your old computer, to your new computer.
"

Looking forward to this vital info for future reference, which could be used if I need a complete reinstall in the future.

John.
John Robert McNally
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
United Kingdom

Postby cherub » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:52 am

John,
Each OS has its own paths, so what Windows system are you using?
And, since there are some differences between Producer 4.0 and 4.1, what version are you using now, and/or have used on your old computer ?

EDIT POST

John,
I have been thinking about this problem a bit more, and I think that my solution above may be a bit too technical and/or too complicated.
The simplest way to continue an old show on a new computer is by going through the "Collect Show Files" option.
This ensures that all your files get copied to your new computer, without any reference to having used styles or not.
Here is Photodex' tutorial on collecting show files:
http://www.photodex.com/support/resources/howto/move

Postby johnmac2007uk » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 pm

Hi Mona:
I am using Widows 7 Home Premium & the latest version of PSP v 4.1.

But Yes I will follow your link for collect files on Photodex site.

Once again thanks for your time.

John.
John Robert McNally
Gateshead
Tyne & Wear
United Kingdom

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks