How do you stay organized?

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

How do you stay organized?

Postby KatzInAZ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:18 am

Hi!

As the volume of slide styles, templates, backgrounds, images, masks, frames, etc. grows, I'm finding it more and more difficult to remember exactly what I have. Sometimes I end up recreating a style that I already had - not a great use of time. OR - it takes forever to sort through the templates to figure out what they do, which I want etc. etc.

So - I'm putting the question out there - how do you keep all of your resources organized so they are easy to find and utilize.

Thanks!

Kathy

Re: How do you stay organized?

Postby anitaemile » Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:01 am

Hi Kathy

I can only give you info on how I organize my proshow stuff. Maybe you will get some ideas on how to do it, ( or not to do it :lol: LOL)..Under styles I categorize all styles ( you probably already knew you can make your own categories) so they are easier to find .
I keep one main folder with styles, and that folder has a separate folder for each style pack . All style folders are named by the style pack and have a number first. Eg: 001 memorial styles. 002 travel styles, etc.
In that folder i keep everything I could retrieve in case something crashes. ( the styles and their graphics )
That folder is on an external drive.
I also have main folder with all graphics that I use when I am creating styles. , . I often delete graphics in the main folder if I haven't used them for a while, knowing I can still find them back on the external drive.

Images go in folders and are grouped by year and month ( 1008001 would be 2010, august , picture 1) )under pictures, and older ones are also on the external drive. Sometimes I make sub folders for images I use for styles I am working on, and usually delete these when I am done.

When I create styles I pull from my image folders and from my graphics folder, and make more as I go in photo shop. Saving the new ones in the graphics folder and with the styles once they are done, on the external drive.
So every created style has his own folder , named with a number in front of it.This folder has both the style files, and the graphics on the external drive and I pretty much work from the main graphics folder , adding and deleting while I am working.

Anita.

Postby KatzInAZ » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:59 pm

Hi Anita,

Thanks for the tips. I haven't religiously categorized the styles so that they make sense to me - so that's something I'll tackle right away. I have graphics on a separate drive, but not the styles - great idea! I like the idea of having a folder for each if it requires additional graphics to keep the style and graphics together. That would help as well.

My graphics (scrapbook papers, graphics, masks, frames etc.) is huge - so I'm trying to sort out how to remember what I actually have. I started trying to create contact sheets to flip through -but that quickly became cumbersome.

Need to figure out that - and if there is a way to do something similar for the styles themselves (maybe just being more descriptive with the name/category would work :) )

Again - thanks for the ideas! I appreciate it.

Kathy

Postby BarbaraC » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:42 am

Kathy, after having been forced into meticulous categorization, I can tell you this: However you decide to do it, it'll be wrong in certain situations. If all images are stashed with their respective shows/templates/styles, when you go looking for an image, you won't find it unless you can remember what you had used it for. I'm extremely familiar with that particular scenario. Eventually I realized that duplication is the answer. I still stash those images with the items where they were used, but I also have a monster "Resources" folder that's divided into sub-folders that make sense to me. If I'm looking for dogs, I can find them, or if I'm looking for fabric, I can find it because each of those things has its own clearly named folder.

Duplicating is good, and tripling is even better. I trust neither my computer nor my memory. :(

Barbara
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby KatzInAZ » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:51 am

Great suggestions Barbara - thanks!

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks