Kaleidoscope Slide Style

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Esteemed Member

Re: Kaleidoscope Slide Style

Postby Mac » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:09 am

I agree with Peter about PSG. I normally don't use my own shows as examples, but I'll link to a show I made with PSG before some of the new features in the latest version.

This show can demonstrate a couple of things though. If your computer graphics are going to give you trouble with perfect timing, you'll see it by watching the Proshow Presenter version. If you compare the Presenter version with the youtube standard graphic version, you'll see what a difference in image quality there is between the two.

Presenter: http://www.photodex.com/share/swami_barmi/6b2c7mg4

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV2tJm0WRYY
PSP 0.1
Kaypro 8086 4.77Mhz CPU, 728Kb memory, dual 5.25" high density floppies
Windows 1.0, Windows Paint
Kodak Pocket Instamatic 60 with Magicube
Model E-41 Ditto Machine

Postby mulawa1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:15 am

Ok! I think I've gone as far as I can with this effect. Here's my final version:

http://mulawa.net/special/ProShow/kaleidoscope4.pxs

It incorporates all the previous discussion and even goes a step further in that you can move (even animate if you want) the centre of the kaleidoscope by simply changing the position of the MASTER layer but note that this is only entirely successful in 16:9 format.

I did try to allow the size of the kaleidoscope to be changed but was unable to achieve this without the user having to change more than just the MASTER layer - thanks to Dale for help in this investigation.

Peter

PS a technical note - when using a function modifier on rotation, a value of 100 corresponds to 360 degrees - I missed this first time round.

Postby HunnyB » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:47 am

You are so nice to us. :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Puma

Postby Puma » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

Ok im new here...not on the level with y'all (yet). I love this style...I have downloaded it and tried it. I am able to get the kaleidoscope effect..but never able to get the picture to show up at the end....it just ends with the kaleidoscope spinning around.

In the videos I watched the pics appear at the end. Am I missing something?

-Puma-

Postby mulawa1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:46 pm

Hi Puma,

Here's how I did the effect in the demo:

After applying the style to your picture on slide 1:

1. Drag your picture to Slide 2.
2. "Effects" icon on Tool bar.
3. Select Slide 1.
4. "Copy Motion Effects" icon in the left tool bar.
5. "Copy End to Next Slide"
6. Close the Motion Effects window - you should now see a black and white sector in Slide 2.
7. Double click on Slide 2.
8. Right click on the MASTER layer and click "Use as masking layer"
9. Close the Motion Effects window.
10. Drag your picture to Slide 3.

You'll probably not be completely happy with the result but hopefully there's enough ideas here to get you started.

Peter

Puma

Postby Puma » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:25 pm

Wow....Im gonna spend a few minutes reading that and trying it on my program....I'm hoping it sounds tougher than it is....lol.

What I had done in the meantime....which im sure isnt the "normal" way of doing things...but I always must find A way..is this...... I put another slide in the show next to this kaleidoscope one....I used the "ab" transition I then took a circle mask and placed it in the same coordinates as your kaleidoscope and matched the size of the circle. Then as the slides moved from one to the next it just looks like the picture fades from within the kaleidoscope.

In addition I made the circle mask gradually grow so it reveals more and more of the picture.... I like it...but I am sure its not orthodox at all ....lol....but hey I wont ever claim to be normal on here.

Now I will try and decipher what the heck you said to do...lol :)

-Puma-

Puma

Postby Puma » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Ok I have made it more than halfway through your directions...and I think I did pretty much what you said...I just did it the hard way. It seems like a more streamlined way of doing what I did.

Cool...and thanks for the quick response....I have put so much time into this montage. Its for my girlfriends dad...he is gonna love it. Its a story of his life from the time he started having kids until present day...he has 5 kids and a bunch of grandkids now.

Thanks again,
-Puma-

Postby mulawa1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:26 pm

Great that it worked out!

You'll find that this Forum will always give you a quick response and that there are many folk here who are far far more knowledgeable than me who are only too happy to give up their time to help we newbies.

I'm sure everyone will look forward to seeing a show from you before too long!

Peter

Postby Ove Benneback » Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:59 am

It is fun and it works great!. Thanks so much for sharing!
Ove
:D

Postby DavidSmart65 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:45 am

Very Nice, Thanks for sharing

Postby compass » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:04 am

Thank you for this style. It has been useful to me.

Postby BJOertli » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:41 pm

This is a really neat style - thank you so much for sharing.
Bonnie
"In every work of genius we see our own rejected thoughts" ~Emerson

Esteemed Member

Postby twodoor55 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:34 am

Thanks for sharing this style, I was trying to figure this out and create it on my own but you made it easy for me.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
Thomas A. Edison
US inventor (1847 - 1931)

Postby mulawa1 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:03 pm

It's very pleasing that so many have found this style of interest and it's great that you take the time to express your appreciation - thank you for that.

After my initial rush of enthusiasm for ProShow sadly I'm now distracted on another absorbing project. Some of you may be wondering what is exciting enough to drag one away from ProShow - remembering what they say about curiosity and the cat, here you go:

http://mulawa.net/olpc/journal/sep10.html

Peter

Previous

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks