Simulating through photo page book

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Simulating through photo page book

Postby joseg » Sun May 09, 2010 7:20 pm

I want to create a moving photo layout. Basically the entire layout(including the background) moves as if the photos were stuck onto the background. I would like to know if there is an easy way to lock the photos to the background so that i can just move ONE object instead of setting keyframes for each one individually.

I know I can create the entire layout in photoshop and then import the background and photos as one JPG into producer, but I would like to create these as STYLES so I can reuse them...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
JOSE G

Re: Simulating through photo page book

Postby anitaemile » Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm

Move the background layer in your slide and move the image in your slide . Just like you would need to do if you had to do it for every single slide, but this time you go into layer, layer setting and determine you want the background as a non replaceable layer, but the image as a replaceable layer. Now save it as a style. Each time you take an image, put it in a slide and apply the style the background will reinstall and the image you originally had will be replace by your new one, but still have the same keyframes and settings. I am sure you will read his and go.. DUH.. :D

Postby cherub » Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm

joseg wrote:I want to create a moving photo layout. Basically the entire layout(including the background) moves as if the photos were stuck onto the background. I would like to know if there is an easy way to lock the photos to the backg.Thanks
JOSE G

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if it is possible to group layers together, so that they move together as if locked.
In principle, it is possible to create a kind of grouping of layers through modifiers. However, I was never very successful with this method. It pretty much depends on the kind of movement that you want to achieve.
Simple movements from point to point are rather simple. The problems start when your motion also includes some kind of zooming in the locked layers.

So, what kind of movement effect do you want to achieve? Is it a kind of page peel, or what exactly ?

Postby joseg » Mon May 10, 2010 2:54 pm

I have uploaded a sample file on you tube so that you can get an idea of what I am trying to accomplish using Pro Presenter. This can be easily done in final cut or after effects but I am interested in also creating a template so that it makes it easier to recreate the shows using different pictures.

I already tried doing this by keyframing each element and getting them to moves together. While it does work, it was very tedious and I was just wondering if their is an easier method I can use.

Here is the link to the sample.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptRK0j-lEzw

Thanks all

Postby tdew » Mon May 10, 2010 5:03 pm

Have you considered putting them onto a background with your photo editing program? You could then move the whole thing around without worrying about having the photos move.

Postby cherub » Mon May 10, 2010 5:19 pm

I don't think that this effect can be done as easily in Producer as in After Effects.

For a smooth movement, I would say that your best bet is to use keyframes on the motion of your background, and to set up modifiers on all your other layers (the pictures themselves) to follow this motion .

Either way, if you use only keyframes or if you combine them with modifiers, it does require some planning and some work on your part.

When you are done, and you are pleased with your result you can save the slide as a style, or you can save several slides as a template. This will allow you to replace the pictures each time, with no extra work on your part.
If you are going to use the same background and the same flower animation every time, then save those layers as "non replaceable layers" with your slide style or your template.

Alternatively, you could use a graphic editor for the whole thing, or to use the feature of "Capture frame" in Producer and to animate it. But this is not something that allows you to replace the pictures each time as you wish.

Postby im42n8 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:34 pm

One thing to keep in mind to keep photos seemingly together is that their movement must cover the same amount of distance in the same amount of time. (basically). When the Zoom (and zoom type, as in fit to safe zone, fit to frame, etc) is different for each item then you can get into some pretty complicated stuff. But, if you use the same settings for all of the images/graphics you should not have a problem.

While you can do it with modifiers, if you're not used to them I'd work on the simple modifiers first and then work into the other stuff. I'd start first with what's required by only using keyframes. Once you have the keyframe settings down and things are working correctly, you'll have a better idea of the effort required when you convert them to "simple" modifiers.

The "simple" modifier I'm speaking about is the Pan Following modifier. This is where one item will follow another layer. They're relatively simple to do (one layer is chosen as the "master" layer and all other associated layers will follow the pan-x and/or pan-y of that layer). The problem comes in when you must select an offset for the follower layers. That's why I'd work the keyframes portion first and then do the modifiers. This extra work up front will save lots of work later. Once you've got the distances and such down pat, then you can adjust one layer and all the others will follow. Sounds straight forward . . . and is if you take the steps one at a time vs trying to do everything at the same time.

Good luck!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby joseg » Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 am

Wow. Thank you one and all for your responses. I have been able to acheive what I want (for the most part) using modifiers. I set keyframes for the background and then linked the PanX and Pan Y using modifiers and it works great!
Thanks again..
I have one question regarding the styles. I save the slide as a style, setting the 3 photos used to replaceable and setting thebackground as non replaceable. When I load the new photos into the blank style, the modifers do not link the to the Background (as originally set) instead it links it to itself...

so my question is... Is this the way it works or is there a way to save a style with the modifier pointing to the background.. so that I don't have to redo them for each slide???

Thanks again.

Jose G

Postby cherub » Wed May 12, 2010 12:33 pm

That's great news. I'm glad that it worked for you.
If you saved the style correctly, the modifiers should be retained in the style together with everything else.
Check again the order of your layers in the original slide. If necessary, give names to your layers so that you see clearly what layer each modifier point to.
Check that the same order of layers appears in the newly created slides (the ones that you made through Apply Style).
If it worked once, it should work always.

One question: What version of Producer are you using (what built?)

Postby im42n8 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:42 pm

If you apply the style to a blank slide, there's nothing to link to (perhaps). As such, I think that may be why it's linking back to itself. Try putting the required images on the slide and then applying the style and see what happens.

If it still doesn't, you also might try to reapply the style (sometimes a style won't apply correctly and NOTHING will fix it except for a reapplication of the style or starting from scratch on a new slide). If it still doesn't then report it to Photodex.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby cherub » Sun May 23, 2010 7:43 pm

Jose, Dale,

I've encountered the same problem that Jose mentioned, so that is why I am bringing this subject up again.
With a little help from Photodex, I also found a solution, so, Jose, if it's not too late for your show, you may check this approach again.

In my previous thread I told you to create your keyframes on the moving background, and then to link all the other objects to it by means of modifiers. And this is the source of the problem.
While this approach works for a slide, it does not work if the same slide is saved as a slide style.
And here is the explanation why not:

Styles get applied to a slide starting from the first layer downwards. The layers are being applied with all their information, one after the other. If the Master layer (the one with keyframes that need to be followed) is placed last, then the first layers don't have any information to draw from, so they "improvise" and link to themselves.
So, apparently, the solution is to have the Master layer always above the linking layers. Doesn't have to be always first, but it needs to be above, in the hierarchy of layers.
In your example Jose, the background layer cannot be therefore the Master, because it is placed at the bottom.

So, what you can do, is one of several things:
a. Find a different layer (from the upper layers) that can function as Master and reset your modifiers to follow it.
b. Create an artificial layer that can function as master, but it cannot be seen on the screen. You can do this either by placing the layers outside the viewable area of the screen, or by simply making it invisible (opacity = 0).
c. This is the option that I chose for my style: Duplicate the Master layer (the background, in your case), give it an opacity of 0 and bring it as the fist layer of the slide. Link all the layers to it. Place the "visible" duplicated layer at the bottom, where it belongs.

I hope it's not too late for your show, and that this information can still help you.

Postby im42n8 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:11 am

Mona,

I'm with you on this one. When I need to use a master layer I also use one on which I've set the opacity to 0.
When I discovered that "modifiers applied from top down" it explained why some things weren't working when applying certain styles. That's when I started using the invisible master layers at the lower numbered layers for certain things. Works well!

Dale

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks