Playing with transitions

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Re: Playing with transitions

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 am

Sue, what on earth have you been thinking by not downloading the manual?!!!!!! Of course, I should talk. I go to the manual only as a last resort. :lol:

Barbara
Last edited by BarbaraC on Thu May 06, 2010 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Frame Locker - styles, transitions, frames, backgrounds, & more.
Subscribe to Frame Locker News for alerts to new products.
How-to's: ProShowThink

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Thu May 06, 2010 2:40 pm

Uber cool, Barbara. Alas, something new to play with :-) I love it.

Dave
Dave

The camera sees things the way they are. Photoshop makes them the way we'd like them to be.

http://www.mediadigitronics.com

Postby BarbaraC » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 pm

If I had the time, I'd put together an outrageous show containing all the horrible things I've done using transitions. Heck, maybe I'll propose it as one of the challenges and then sit back silently, waiting, twiddling my thumbs, wondering who will be first to give Producer a psychotic breakdown.

Barbara

Postby Dave Fitzpatrick » Thu May 06, 2010 2:54 pm

wondering who will be first to give Producer a psychotic breakdown.

Give Producer a psychotic breakdown??? I doubt it. I think the program can outlast any of us on the way to the funny farm.
Dave

The camera sees things the way they are. Photoshop makes them the way we'd like them to be.

http://www.mediadigitronics.com

Postby cherub » Thu May 06, 2010 6:00 pm

A very nice tip Barbara, and certainly something to play with :D

I don't play very often with slide transitions, for the simple reason that the shows that I make, end up as slide styles in most cases. As slide styles don't retain the information about which slide transitions is being used, there is no way I can count on them for a specific effect.

I do use a lot of layer transitions though, for a number of effects, and the results are very pleasing to the eye.
The drawback of this is that, Producer's layers transitions function on the whole screen, and mostly from the center.
Also, not all transitions are equal in duration. Some of them happen so fast, that it's not worth using them.
I think that it would be very useful, if a transition could be adapted to the actual size and orientation of the layer on which it is placed. Then we could have some real fun !

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 07, 2010 5:20 am

Mona, I know exactly what you're talking about when it comes to the between-slide transitions not existing in styles. When giving directions for some of my frame sets, all I can do is suggest transitions along with timing for them and then hope for the best.

Transitions occurring from a central point certainly cuts down on some of the finer effects we might create, eventually chasing many of us into using masks, but getting newcomers playing with transitions can give them a chance to create something really nice and very much their own.

Barbara

Postby czali » Sat May 15, 2010 11:31 am

I have played with idea as well and it really is fun to see the different results you can create. I usually always have a "play" show to have fun with. Sometimes it is the best thing when working on a long show to have a break.

Colleen

Postby BarbaraC » Sat May 15, 2010 12:15 pm

Colleen, I totally agree with you about taking a break and working on something that we don't expect to ever show anyone. When we're not the least concerned about how others might view what we've done, it's easier to come up with really cool ideas. I mean, who cares if we break something? As a matter of fact, I'm currently on break from my break where I managed to break something so badly that the only way to fix it was to delete it. All gone. Never happened. :D

Barbara

Postby KeeKee » Fri May 21, 2010 1:59 pm

As someone who just upgraded to Producer and am only starting to learn about key framing this was an awesome thread to come by, Thanks for posting it.

I did some pretty weird stuff with the tut already.

Postby BarbaraC » Fri May 21, 2010 2:12 pm

I've used Producer for quite some time, and I'm still doing weird stuff. Just when you think you've broken everything possible, you find a new thing to break. Sometimes Producer gets disgusted with me and leaves. :D

Barbara

Postby maryann18 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:53 pm

Hi Barbara,
would you please explain what you mean by "Within slide A and as a transition in, use “Wipe – Left to Right – 2 pass.”
Thanks,
Maryann

Postby BarbaraC » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:36 am

Maryann,

Move the transition bar in keyframe 1 over so it has a transition (it will likely be a fade transition that shows up by default). Click on that transition and then choose the “Wipe – Left to Right – 2 pass” transition from the transition picker screen, which may take you a while to find if you're not yet totally familiar with all the transitions.

If you're not yet comfortable with keyframes, this may be what has confused you. If you're familiar with them, then it's no doubt my own fault for not being as clear as I probably should have been. Let me know! :D

Barbara

Previous

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks