combining styles ... how to

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

combining styles ... how to

Postby anitaemile » Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:53 pm

I have had some people ask me if they could combine two slide styles. When there are not too many layers involved, making it difficult to trace down which layers do what, it is fairly simple to do so. Here is a little trick on how to get this done. I used a simple butterfly layer that only had a butterfly and an image and one with more layers. Hopefully this will be a eureka moment for someone.
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 2888&alb=0

anita
http://www.outsidethebox.name

Re: combining styles ... how to

Postby im42n8 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:04 pm

The key thing to remember here is the word "SIMPLE." Combining styles will only work if things are relatively simple and you can determine what is and isn't needed in the "merge" process.

Aside from copying layers between slides you can paste a slide into another. Same limitations basically. But, with simple slides it can work. I've used it to create a couple of styles that were based on earlier styles. It saved a lot of work. However, this technique is limited to specific situations.

In general, however, I don't know that combining styles is going to work in very many situations. The only way to tell is to experiment, is my guess.

Have fun!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby cherub » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:55 pm

I'm with Dale on this one.
Combining styles requires quite a bit of understanding how Producer works in general: Things like: understanding what layers are and how they integrate into the style, the purpose of duplicated layers, how keyframes work, how adjustments work, how layer transitions work, etc, etc.
The recommended duration of a style is also of importance, and when combining styles with different timings, many unexpected things can happen.
So, like Dale, I don't know if combining styles would work in many situations. Mostly it depends on the complexity of the styles in question.

Postby anitaemile » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:35 am

Hi Dale and Mona

The request for combining styles has come from different people, and like I already mentioned in the post and in the tutorial : don't try to do this with complicated styles. However, I never underestimate other people's capabilities, so it will be up to them to experiment. Moving layers from one slide into the next is the basic idea of achieving a combination. And as usual.. there is more than one road that leads to Rome.
Thanks

Anita

Postby im42n8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:50 am

I'm all for experimenting. But, folks new to Producer sometimes don't know what they're asking. They don't realize what they're asking is more complicated than it appears. Kinda of like asking to apply a style to more than one slide at a time. Some of these styles look simple. But, what underlies their effect is anything but!

As Mona said tho, if you understand keyframes and how they relate to a layer, knowing what a layer or set of layers does/do, helps alot as does knowing how Producer does its magic. Having a good grounding in masks helps an awful lot too. A number of styles are using modifiers too. A good way to learn about modifiers is to study those styles closely. That's because if you don't, it won't be obvious at all how a certain effect or part of an effect is accomplished (it'll be tantamount to magic!). Otherwise, it's going to be a major exercise in frustration!

But, one of the ways to learn is to experiment. Spectacular failures can bring about positive results . . . just not in the way expected. (happens to me a lot! :) ) And, you won't know until you try!

Happy experimenting!

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:47 am

Spectacular failures can bring about positive results . . . just not in the way expected.

Your comment reminded me of something I read awhile back ... I thought I would share it... lol

The Magnetron, the two Birmingham University scientists were charged with inventing during World War II, provided the Allies with the means to pinpoint the exact locations of Nazi war machines and arsenals, as the magnetron produced microwaves which radar then bounced off of these weapons of destruction, and back to the Allies.
Testing using the magnetron continued in the post-war years, and Dr. Spencer, in the midst of performing one of these tests, made a logical connection, which gave birth to the microwave oven.
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Postby anitaemile » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:13 am

You see.. never discourage any one from trying. :D

Postby im42n8 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:00 am

The Dr in question walked in front of the radar unit while it was on. He promptly discovered that it melted the chocolate bar that was in his shirt pocket. It made a big impression on him. The company he was with: Raytheon. The units that the company made then were leased to restaurants (much like the initial copier machines were early in their careers too). These devices were basically the size of refridgerators (I saw some of these original devices when I was doing contract management for the government at a Raytheon facility). These gave the company a civilian application they hadn't foreseen.

WRT advice to people. No, you don't want to discourage them. But, they should be armed with info (usually) so they know what they're getting into. It's not that it can't be done, often, but that it can get quite difficult and/or confusing (and why that is so!).

Dale

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:21 am

WRT advice to people. No, you don't want to discourage them. But, they should be armed with info (usually) so they know what they're getting into. It's not that it can't be done, often, but that it can get quite difficult and/or confusing (and why that is so!).

I think that most people see the 2 effects and say wow they would look good together, but really just want a style that had it combined with no need or desire to copy, pastes,keyframe,mask this or that - fast food society
Ron
PS: It was a peanut chocolate bar in his pocket ..lol
"Family over Friends" "Night over Day" "Nikon over Canon" "Gravy over Everything"

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks