Animating a Map

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

Re: Animating a Map

Postby trulytango » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:04 am

That's a very nice idea, Mark - and one that would be effective in both Gold and Producer :D

TTFN
Iris
Windows 7 HP 64-bit, Intel i5 2500K Quad Core, 8GB RAM, 1.0GB Ge-Force NVIDIA GTX 560i, Adobe Photoshop CS5, Producer 6 (GPU Benchmark was 336, now 324), a big old Canon 20D and a funky Canon Powershot G15

Postby mizdoc » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:44 am

hhijim wrote:I am nearing completion of a show of a vacation river cruise recently taken.

I would like to animate the map of that cruise, by placing a line on the map showing the route taken.

When my show moves from city a to city b, I want the line on the map to move between those cities. Then between the next wo cities until the cruise is completed.

I suspect this effect has been achieved may times in the past; however, I cannot figure out how to do it.

Suggestions will be appreciated.

I have CS 4 Creative Suite available to me.

Many thanks.

I've found a little program called Road Trip Pro that does just this, very easily. I've used it for plane routes. It even has little cars or airplanes; you can change their colour, and also the colour and width of their "trail". (Who knows, maybe they even have a boat, or, I'm sure, you could add your own icon.) Here's one I ran up quickly about my Aunt's visit...she loved "the little airplane". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hC-fTqv2FI

You can find Road Trip Pro at http://www.solrobots.com/roadtrip/index.html

Postby heinzbCH » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:35 am

MotionStudios have a nice program Vasco da gamma see http://www.motionstudios.de/index.php?cat=c2_Vasco-da-Gama.html it's not cheap but it^s a verry interesting travel route propgram
greetings from Switzerland
Heinz

Postby psg_in_va » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:03 pm

im42n8 wrote:Something like the following?

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 3121&alb=0

Dale

This is exactly what I'm looking to do, but without the Jeep. Racking my brain.... Can you please provide some more detail as to how to get the red line to grow longer as you travel farther?

Thanks!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:46 pm

I'm sure there are multiple ways but when I do something like this, the red line is a separate image layer made in an editor. Put that as a layer on top of the map and use a wipe-type of transition to reveal it. Mostly it's revealing the transparent parts so it looks like the link is being drawn.
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby im42n8 » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Dick pretty much summed it up. I used two maps. One had no route on it and the 2nd one did. I used a mask to reveal the layer with the route on it . . . lots of keyframing, unlocked xy axes w/separate zooming, rotating of the map, etc. The veh was added later as an extra. It was keyframing of the associated graphic layer too to move it along the route.

You use the masked layer to reveal the route a little at a time. By judicious use of the mask (zooms, rotations, etc), you can reveal a convoluted route (as long as it's not TOO convoluted). If you have to, multiple masked layers can be used. If you understand masks, it's not too difficult. The hard part is getting the timing right so you don't have sped up parts and slow parts and so the the route appears smoothly.

I used a Street Atlas (Delorme) because the Streets and Trips (Micro$oft) map had some features that differed between the w/route and the w/o route maps.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby psg_in_va » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 pm

Thanks Dick and Dale for your timely replies!

Possibly my understanding of the use of masks is limited, but I was able to get the wipe transition method to work. It's just not as nice as I'd like. I have two maps, one with the route (thick red line made by the GPS on the trip) and another with no route. When I use masks, I get it to work, but as the mask reveals the map with the route it reveals the entire map from east to west (from black to the map with the route) instead of just revealing the red line. I'm using an Alpha vs. Intensity mask type.

Postby heckydog » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Looking for something like this maybe

Route Map

I'd have to see your map(s)

Joe

Postby Anna J » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:04 am

Here's a one minute demo show I made using a map line.
http://www.photodex.com/share/janep/72gx8mg4

If anyone is interested in instructions for making it, post here and I'll type out the instructions.
Anna J
Disclaimer: These photos were snagged from the Internet. Unfortunately, that pretty young thing in sunglasses is not me. Nor have I ever taken a Danube cruise. :lol:
Anna

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:56 am

Anna J wrote:Here's a one minute demo show I made using a map line.

If anyone is interested in instructions for making it, post here and I'll type out the instructions.
Anna J

Anna - love it, particilarly the pictorial extras.

~~Mike~~
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Postby psg_in_va » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 am

I'd be interested in teh instructions if it's not too much hassle!

Chip

Anna J wrote:Here's a one minute demo show I made using a map line.

Anna J
Disclaimer: These photos were snagged from the Internet. Unfortunately, that pretty young thing in sunglasses is not me. Nor have I ever taken a Danube cruise. :lol:

Postby Anna J » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:35 am

Chip,
No problem. Check back tonight and I'll have the instructions posted.
Anna
Anna

Postby im42n8 » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:57 am

As you've found, the mask needs to be only reveal the route or that portion of the map with the route itself, not the entire map. You may want to use mutiple masks to reveal the route. The maps will occupy the same location on the screen but the mask(s) move. So, knowing masking and keyframing is probably going to be very useful to you. You'll also probably need to unlock x and y axes to tweak some thing.

The mask will be sized and rotated as you need it during the course of its movement to reveal the route. That's another reason why both maps should be identical except for that one has the route and one doesn't.

Once you get the hang of it then it's only matter of time and perseverance.

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Postby Anna J » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:44 pm

I've packaged up the red line map in a Zip file to send to Mike to post in Member Created Files. The package includes the show files, the 2 map images used, and a PDF of detailed instructions for newbies. Usually I start my instructions off with "turn your computer on" :lol: but I forgot to do that this time...so turn your computer on! :wink: If you want me to email you the ZIP file, PM me with your email address. Hope this will be useful to someone.
Anna J
Anna

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:30 am

I used road trip effect and it is easy and perfect for what i need.

http://www.solrobots.com/roadtrip/index.html

nothing fancy, but it does the route outlining and is only $9.95. a good investment

Previous

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks