see through captions

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Valued Member

see through captions

Postby u7mg0 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:35 am

is there a way to have a caption where you see through the letters to a picture underneath? i did one using Win movie maker, but i can't get the pic underneath to move. i have Elements, but do not have Bluff or the others.
thx

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: see through captions

Postby stickgirl » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 am

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Studio7Productions » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:46 am

You can do it in Producer, just go into effects on the caption layer, and lower the opacity

Mel
PSP v 5: Adobe CS5 Extended:Sony Soundforge Pro 10: Canon 50D: Canon EOS 1000D: Nikon D40:

" Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm. "
Sir Winston Churchill

Esteemed Member

Postby mikemullett » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:57 am

Hiya u7mg or whatever

Look here:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=127032

Created by one of the Forum Gurus: (Debbie - how do you like being a Guru)
Mike
There's no such thing as problems, only challenges
Nikon D5300 DSLR, PSP, Photoshop CS6, Premiere Elements 8, Adobe After Effects. Have just built a Win 7 Core I5 machine, 8G ram, 1TB hard disk

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:21 am

that worked pretty well. I used the tutorial Kathy created. But, i would like the Black layer to appear longer with the words scrolling across. the underneath picture fades in right away. i fiddled with the KF but nothing worked. what causes the lenght of time for the picture to fade in? thank you.

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:43 am

u7mg0 wrote:that worked pretty well. I used the tutorial Kathy created. But, i would like the Black layer to appear longer with the words scrolling across. the underneath picture fades in right away. i fiddled with the KF but nothing worked. what causes the lenght of time for the picture to fade in? thank you.

Thanks for you interest in my tutorial.

I'm not quite visualizing your desired slide action and I did that tutorial a very long time ago. I don't have time to completely create your scenario and also not sure exactly what you want to achieve. Here's my take on it.

Your initial question was this:
by u7mg0 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:35 am
is there a way to have a caption where you see through the letters to a picture underneath? i did one using Win movie maker, but i can't get the pic underneath to move.

Do you want the words to pan or the picture to pan? Those are two different things. Choose one or the other but don't do both if moving them in opposite directions. IMO it will not be visually effective nor pleasing to the viewer.

For the picture to pan beneath static words, against a black background type a caption and make a screen captured jpg using Producer's screen capture feature. (See manual.) Use this as a mask layer over your image layer. You can choose to move the mask or move the image beneath or do both but as I said before, I would not move both if you're planning to move them in opposite directions. If you move either one, you'll have to zoom it past 100% to give room to pan.

Controlling when the layers come in and out requires knowledge of key-framing and adjusting length of layer transition time which are intermediate skills. That will take time playing and experimenting to gain working knowledge.

You can do this all in Producer, without Movie Maker or Photoshop/photo editor.

Other users may approach this differently but that's how I might do it.
Last edited by debngar on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Debbie
Photography http://deborah-green.com

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:55 am

mikemullett wrote:Hiya u7mg or whatever

Look here:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... alb=127032

Created by one of the Forum Gurus: (Debbie - how do you like being a Guru)
Mike

Mike - depending on circumstances and timing, that can be a blessing or a curse. LOL :roll: I've not as much time lately for this as I used to. :(

Thanks!
Debbie

Valued Member

Postby u7mg0 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:58 am

Debbie, i apologize for saying it was Kathy's i was too quick to just look at the name who sent the link.

you are right. i metioned 2 different scenarios. however, your tut was great. my question is the when the word is moving across the screen (on a static pic background) it is black with the words revealing the picure underneath. the black fades and the picture comes into view too quick. i want the black to stick around longer. the KF for the opacity don't seem to affect it. the black fades to the pic right away.

anyways, thanks again for the advice

Postby debngar » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:35 am

u7mg0 wrote:Debbie, i apologize for saying it was Kathy's i was too quick to just look at the name who sent the link.

you are right. i metioned 2 different scenarios. however, your tut was great. my question is the when the word is moving across the screen (on a static pic background) it is black with the words revealing the picure underneath. the black fades and the picture comes into view too quick. i want the black to stick around longer. the KF for the opacity don't seem to affect it. the black fades to the pic right away.

anyways, thanks again for the advice

My tutorial is only a one slide sample scenario. I would not expect anyone's desired slide action timing to match mine exactly. Rather than following the show tutorial, try the directions I wrote in my post above which is a different approach without involving the opacity. You may be trying to mix the two which is confusing you and was not my intention when I shared the other approach. The info above is a DIFFERENT approach than the tutorial as I was trying to cover what you wanted to achieve even though you still haven't clarified which element you wanted to move. Try spending further time with the program and hopefully you'll eventually figure it out.
Debbie

hausafus

Postby hausafus » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:02 pm

Debbie -

Recently upgraded to PSP from PSG and am learning all kinds of new things I can do. Love the idea of using the caption as a mask and your instructions worked great! Thanks for sharing.

Karl

Valued Member

Postby photoshowstudio » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:31 pm

When I did this, I completely did it by mistake, and was completely impressed with how inept I was at using Producer, yet was able to accidently pull off this effect. I was doing a slideshow of a Disneyland vacation (yes, again) and had a slide of the Dumbo sign as my first layer. Underneath was a picture of the actual ride, and my attempt was to have the letters D-U-M-B-O be very sharp and the rest to be transparent. I used the chromakey function in Producer and ... Walaaa-wha-d-heck. Now the letters were transparent. Not at all what I wanted, but way cooler than what I wanted, so let's keep it. It was one of those - keep doing what your doing, even if you don't know what you did - moments.

Then to add to it, I zoomed in on the first layer (the letters) to finally reveal the full picture underneath. This was actually my first show I did with Producer, and I would share it, however, I accidently deleted the music from my hard drive, and now have some 3 year old nursery rythme music in it's place - NOT what I wanted.

One note, I know that most of my posts center around Disneyland but so does most of my life, so it works out.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby pd » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:13 am

hi

A peek is worth a thousand words.
Maybe you could isolate the effect you describe and upload it. It sounds interesting.

TIA
regards
pd
regards.
pd

Postby sierra springs » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:52 am

Oh, Debbie, I just tried your tut...I love it. thanks so much. 8)
Karen Schmautz
Sierra Springs Photography
http://sierraspringsphotography.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sierra-Sp ... 5862554911

If you could see what I see...

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks