"Stretching" video across multiple slides

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself

"Stretching" video across multiple slides

Postby psg_in_va » Wed May 13, 2009 5:05 pm

Hi all,

Need help from the experts: I have a video (with audio) layer that I'd like to play over multiple slides while I layer small silent movies in each slide. Desired end effect is to have 1 Elvis video play over say 5 slides, while 5 layered small videos play up in the corner of each. I've tried trimming in PSG, cutting the movie up into 5 segments in Avidemux, and while I get the desired effect the transiton has a stutter that ruins the effect. I've set transitions to cut, time to 0 and get the same effect. I've also played around with frame splitting; for example segment 1=frame 1-10 and segment 2=frame 10-20 OR again with segment 2=frames 11-20. Also tried multiple transition time settings, but still get a small jump during transitions. I've checked that the placement coordinates of the video are identical, so it's definitely a transition issue. This may just be inherent with two contiguous files playing, but I'm betting the success of my folk's 50th wedding anniversary that some smart person can help! Separate the audio and video then have the audio play over multiple slides? There has to be a trick...

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: "Stretching" video across multiple slides

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu May 14, 2009 4:59 am

Instead of stretching the video across 5 slides, why not put each video on its own layer in the same slide. You can adjust the start of the layer by dragging the 1st keyframe to the desired start point. In the end you would have 1 slide with a long duration with 6 layers.

Would this achieve the effect you were looking for?

-Vernon

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu May 14, 2009 5:11 am

VernonRobinson wrote:Would this achieve the effect you were looking for?
-Vernon

Please notice the section -- this is the PS Gold section, no keyframes.

Vernon -- If, in fact, you're using PS Producer then the answer above may help. If you're using Gold it won't. This is one I can't help with directly but there are much more video-savvy folks here who hopefully can.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby psg_in_va » Thu May 14, 2009 6:44 am

Vernon/Dick, thanks for your replies. Vernon, your solution is exactly what I'm looking for because it addresses the second effect I wanted which is to control the characteristics of the "mini" videos, i.e., fade-in, fade-out, and sequential timing while the long video continues. But yes, I'm using PSG, so fade-in/fade-out is not available for video layers (which is what I assume keyframes can accomplish).

Dick, I was able to solve my issue with the contiguous video sections across multiple slides by adjusting the layer order (not sure why that helped). Now it's a smooth transition for the long interslide video, I just need to figure out how I can make the small per-slide videos fade in and out as the slides change so they don't "pop in" when the slides change. Could use an external video editor and adjust the video itself, but I'm not sure what package to use for that. Am I correct in assuming that fade-in/out characteristics can't be controlled for video layers like I can for audio layers?

Again, thanks for your expertise!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu May 14, 2009 8:56 am

Glad that worked for you. Unless I misunderstood, believe you can apply a transition to each layer just like you can between slides. So I would recommend an A/B crossfade on each layer to make the video adjust.

-Vernon

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu May 14, 2009 5:46 pm

In Gold you can't apply transitions to individual layers just to the slide as a whole. Under many circumstances a PSG user can get the effect of that but must construct it with multiple slides doing one thing on each slide in sequence.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby VernonRobinson » Thu May 14, 2009 6:55 pm

I guess I will have to take a look at the Gold interface. It seems they have stripped a lot of goodies out of it that would make life easier :)

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri May 15, 2009 8:34 am

But if Gold had those 'goodies' there would be no reason for Producer. Not a good marketing choice :wink:

Seriously, that's a key difference between the market positioning of the products--PSG is more than enough for the casual user and is what they (me!) should use. If you are going to be doing several slide shows per month and especially if you're going to do shows as a business then you should use PSP though even then I really believe the majority would be better off starting with Gold and then moving up. <soapbox mode ON> But like IMHO too many people who buy the full-up PhotoShop and never figure out how use >1% of it's power, there are a a bunch of folks who buy PSP and never get beyond using what Gold offers, or worse, find the learning curve too steep and give up entirely.<soapbox mode OFF>

Dick

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:33 pm

I have a similare quetsion I have just encountered. I THINK it's a little different than the example.

Can I take one rather lengthy video and stretch out over several slides so I can show pictures on other slides as the video is playing.
I really don't want to put the pictures and the video on the same slide because then I would have to keyframe almost 25 pictures and that is too time consuming.

Todd

Postby im42n8 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm

Your best bet is to keyframe the images over the length of the video. It's a lot less hassle.

Otherwise, you'll have to trim the video in PSP and then make sure the video and audio transition seamlessly across slides. With one length video, and using the multi-keyframe editor you'll have a better chance of placing your images where you want them to be with much less effort. You'll end up placing the images in layers above the video layer and using layer transitions to make them appear and disappear (and whatever).

Multiple copies of the video will mean a much larger file size because you'll have multiple copies of the same video that have been "trimmed" within PSP (which means moving the start-stop points of the video within PSP). The other option is to edit the video in a nonlinear editor (video editor) and place each video segment in separate slides.

However you decide to do it, you'll have some work to do. Each has its advantages. I'd opt for the single slide option and take care of the necessary keyframes as required. I think this will cause the least amount of work and the least amount of overall hassle. Generally that's not a problem unless you have a limited amount of memory (which can slow things down considerably). In that case you may want to use the last option (where you use the NLE to create smaller video segments for use on separate slides).

Maybe someone else has a better idea?

Dale
What's New: Tools for ProShow: v11.42a Access ProShow capabilities Photodex doesn't provide (For PSG & PSP).
FPVP Blog "Making the Difficult Easier," FPVP News

Esteemed Member

Postby reptep » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:27 pm

That's kind of what I thought. Was tying to keyframe everything the other night and thought there had to be a better way but I guess not
Too bad you can't put videos in like you do audio tracks. THAT would be great!!
Thanks DAle. Will keep an eye out if anyone else has anything futher.

Postby Dean Athans » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:06 am

psg-in-va -

I had a similar problem in a video I made a while ago. My approach was as follows, but it does require that you alter your presentation a little:

Make your "5-slide" video gradually sweep across each of the 5 slides--coming on screen from either left or right and slowly panning off the slide on the other edge. During this time, your "subsidiary" videos could be playing in each of the 5 slides. The trick here is that the "video transition" for your master video occurs while it is disappearing off the edge and then reappearing on the other edge.

Hope I've described this clearly enough--maybe it could be of use to you.

- Dean
Dean A

Postby gpsmikey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:23 am

I'm confused (not unusual actually). Apparently, this is about Gold and one person commented it is in the gold section. Why am I seeing it in "Board index ‹ ProShow Producer ‹ PSP - Tips & Tricks" ???

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:46 pm

It got a "magic move" to PSP in the middle of thread after it became apparent that's where it belonged.
Dick

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks