Audio Question

Post your tips & tricks here for creating slide shows with ProShow Producer. This could include suggestions for style and content in addition to working with the software itself
Katrina_H

Audio Question

Postby Katrina_H » Sat May 09, 2009 1:45 pm

I have a 13 minute slide show that is going to have video inserted at different places within the slide show. I need to be able to start/stop my audio files at various places within my show.

I have looked all over and cannot find how to start/stop audio at certain slides. When I try to insert audio into my slide it automatically wants to start it at the beginning. When I TAB to timeline and drag the song to the slide I want to have it start at it starts there fine but in the middle of the track. I want it to start at the beginning of the track.

How is this accomplished? I so appreciate your help!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Audio Question

Postby briancbb » Sat May 09, 2009 2:03 pm

Katrina, welcome to the forum.

I am a little uncertain as what you want to do. I would suggest the following if your video inserts have sound attached.

On the menu bar select 'Audio' and in the dropdown menu select 'Manage Soundtracks'. There are a series of sliders on the lefthand side that allow you to fade the manin soundtrack to a lower level when video sounds attached to a slide are played.

Is this what you are looking for? The soundtrack does not actually stop but is reduced to a lower level so that the slide attached sounds can be heard.

If you want to actually stop the soundtrack this is a different matter. The track cannot be stopped and restarted mid track. The trick is to insert the sound track and in 'timeline' mode hold down the CTRL key while hovering over the soundtrack. This brings up a yellow outline. Find the end of the track and drag the vertical yellow line to the beginning of the slide you wish the sound to stop at.

Now insert the same soundtrack after this and drag the yellow line at the beginnjing of this 2nd track to the position in the sound that you want it to start playing. Now drag the whole 2nd track to the end of the video slide.

Hope you understand this ramble.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Katrina_H

Postby Katrina_H » Sat May 09, 2009 4:41 pm

ok I will clarify to the best of my ability

I currently have 150 slides in my slide show. I have a video in slide 15 so when I add my soundtrack to my slide show I dont want it to play the actual track until slide 16. However when I add a track to the slideshow it automatically starts at slide 1. How do I make my track start at slide 16?

Thanks!

Esteemed Member

Postby nantory » Sat May 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Go into the show menu and hit on soundtrack and offset the audio to the time you want it to start. If you want audio to play to a certain point do as Brian says and insert the audio file twice and start and stop it when you want by using the offset button. Hope this helps,

Katrina_H

Postby Katrina_H » Sun May 10, 2009 4:57 pm

Ok thanks for the help.

Its certainly not a perfect solution to my problem but a work around none the less. When I edit the music to start at the point I need it to, it doesnt start the song from the begining. *sigh* I guess perfection just isnt in the cards for me with this matter!

I very much appreciate the help!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon May 11, 2009 12:22 am

Katrina

When in 'timeline' view hovering the mouse over the soundtrack it turns to a 'hand'. Hold down the CTRL key and the soundtrack gets outlined by a yellow line. If your 'hand' is inside this outline the track can be dragged sideways so the sound starts where ever you require.

By dragging the yellow vertical lines at the start or end of a track it can be truncated at the beginning or end as required.

Am I not seeing your problem :?
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Valued Member

Postby Pat » Mon May 11, 2009 3:40 am

As nantory explained, doesn't katrina simply need to add up the total time of her prior 15 slides and offset the playing of the soundtrack by that much time? If slides 1 - 15 total time adds up to 45 seconds, offset the playing of the soundtrack by 45 seconds?

Postby KarenLynn58 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:17 am

Thanks Brian!!
I learned something new today!! I didn't realize you could do that on the timeline!!
That is pretty cool and a time saver!!
Thanks for the tip!!!

Karen

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon May 11, 2009 5:33 am

You can also adjust volume and fade using those yellow lines. It just depends on which dot you drag at the beginning or end of the waveform.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Katrina_H

Postby Katrina_H » Mon May 11, 2009 6:53 am

briancbb wrote:Katrina
am I not seeing your problem :?

The problem I am running into is when I drag that yellow line it does change the time the music starts which is perfect. However, it also changes the where the music starts within the track.

When I am playing a song I wish to start the song at the beginning. When I drag the yellow line it starts in the middle of the song.

I have figured out a way to make it all work thanks to all your help. Its just not as pefect as I would like it to be.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Mon May 11, 2009 7:50 am

Katrina, I made this short video for you to watch, it may or may not help with your problem. Just trying to help.

http://tinyurl.com/qow8dp

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Katrina_H

Postby Katrina_H » Wed May 13, 2009 7:07 am

Ben thank you so much. I was grabbing the bar (not the fade) and it was changing where the song started! Youre video was a BIG help!

Now I am having a whole other issue! LOL

Postby lanita33 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:59 am

Ben, I just watched your video and it was very helpful to me. Thank you for taking the time to make it.

Lana

Postby rdurga » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:22 am

Ben,

I do adjust the tracks for fade, volume, postioning of the audio track etc like you have shown in the short video clip.

Short video clips explain precisely what you have to do.

Thanks for your clear explaination with the video clip.

ram

Esteemed Member

Postby quetzal » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi Ben,
We were a little bit confused with audio. Now, after your video and your good explanations, It's O.K.
Many thanks Ben. quetzal :D

Next

Return to PSP - Tips & Tricks