Using Pro Show as a business

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
shanpowderjay

Using Pro Show as a business

Postby shanpowderjay » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:51 am

I have created shows using pro show gold and charged for them. I know producer is the more professional prduct. However, in viewing some online sites that offer dvd photo shows, They seem nothing more than clicking "select all " in editing then clicking "random motion" and then doing the same for transitions and charge upwards of $75 for 50 plus pictures. I create custom shows not "cookie cutter" shows. Is proshow gold a viable product for selling dvd shows? Do any members create shows with pro show for business

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Using Pro Show as a business

Postby stickgirl » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:10 am

There are quite a few members of this forum that have very successful slideshow businesses. They have successful businesses because they have a great deal of talent and skill that is very apparent when you see their work. They took the time to learn the software and spent countless hours practicing and heard over and over again how they should start a business, and they did. I'd be willing to bet that not one of them drop in a photo and make it pan, zoom, and rotate all over hell's half acres because they can, nor do they pick 30 different transitions because they look cool. A professional needs to know what does and doesn't work.

Besides the software to make a slideshow, you will also need to have photo editing software and the ability to use it, a scanner, royalty free music, still backgrounds, video backgrounds, and plenty of other items that haven't been mentioned. It takes money to make money.

If you don't have the talent, you will never be successful. If you have talent, and there isn't a need for what you are selling, you won't be successful either.

Kathy

Postby ChrissyC » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:03 pm

This is a wonderful place for all us newbies to learn, to ask questions, to sift through old posts, to take tutorials and to use Templates. As a newbie slowly turning the corner and discovering new things, templates have been a valuable learning tool. If the big talent out there makes a template and has it posted, I'm grabbing it and using it and studying it till I know how it works, and doing it very greatfully.
Isn't it a wonderful feeling the minute you discover you do have talent :D
Chrissy

Postby gimme5 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:05 pm

I may be wrong, but I believe the licensing agreement is such that one cannot use Proshow Gold for business. Maybe this has changed, but I purchased Producer (and this was right before the price came plummeting down!) because I had read at the time that this was the product that was licensed for business purposes.

I would imagine that I would have purchased Producer anyway, as given that I am doing it for business, I need to have all of the flexibility and robustness (if that is a word?) that Producer provides with keyframing and other options that aren't available in Gold (at the time I first purchased, Gold didn't even have the capability to use layers so it really was a no brainer - even with the great discrepancy in cost, though I sure wish I had waited just a few more months!!!).

As far as the other sites selling what look like very basic shows, I would imagine it all boils down to what the market will bear. I have been selling my shows for a few years, building up more business each year, as well as increasing pricing. I believe that I charge more for my shows than many (at least the ones I have seen on the Yahoo Group and some that I've seen on this group. I just increased my pricing from $350 to $450 and no one seemed to blink. As a matter of fact, the last show I did, they thought I had said $600 and were ready to write the check. I was in such a state of shock that I stupidly stuttered and sputtered and then felt that I wasn't able to take the check with a straight face, so I told them that although I in the process of assessing another increase in pricing, that I would "only" charge them the $450! This also happened to have been one of my very first customers a few years ago, when I was only using Windows Movie Maker and I had charged them $250 back then!

When I compare my shows to some of the very talented folks on this site, I am shocked at how much people are willing to pay me, but again, it all has to do with how much you value your work, your target market, if anyone else is doing something similar in your area, and again, how much the market will bear.

~julie a.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:55 pm

gimme5 wrote:I may be wrong, but I believe the licensing agreement is such that one cannot use Proshow Gold for business. Maybe this has changed, but I purchased Producer (and this was right before the price came plummeting down!) because I had read at the time that this was the product that was licensed for business purposes...

Nope. No such restriction. Indeed I can't imagine how those terms could stand a court test. Not in a product like any version of ProShow. No reason at all that PSG couldn't be successfully used in a for-profit situation.

But I agree with you that anyone giving serious thought to this as a business should probably acquire PSP. The downside for new users is the longer, steeper learning curve. But in my opinion the ability to build and reuse Templates is likely to be crucial if you're going to be able to build consistent, polished shows. The rest of the feature differences could be important but that one will be a make-or-break deal if you've got to turn out a slide show with lots of images, a video, several audio and do it with a 48hour turnaround.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Celebrating a Life (For Funerals)

Postby texan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:33 am

I am seriously considering developing a "Celebration of Life" video for families who have lost love ones.

I would market directly to Funeral Homes and they would offer the product as an option in their pricing package.

Basically I'd collect photos from the family via the Funeral Parlor, and then create a "memorial video".
A questionnaire to the family would assist with names, dates etc.

Has anyone done anything like this? I'd be most interested in exchanging ideas, pricing techniques, distribution processes, quantity discounts and any other ideas someone might have.

I have seen a couple of efforts at two funerals in the past 5 years, but the quality left much to be desired.

I am currently working on a "demo package" and business plan to take to funeral parlors.

Any ideas and/or inputs would be appreciated.

If you'd like to contact me direct: (abasso@sbcglobal.net)
Texan

Postby czali » Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 pm

Texan,

I have heard of people doing that locally. What I have heard is they are very cookie cutter b/c of the quick turn around. You also have to be able to pick up the photos and basically complete it over night or within two days. If you think that you can accomplish that that then go for it. I would make up an example of a memorial show and pass them out to your local homes with a brochure and business cards.

Goodluck!

Colleen

Fast Turn around is the key.....

Postby texan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:55 pm

You've hit on exactly the area I was concerned about.........if you have to scan 50/100 photos and then create a video; it's time consuming.........My goal would be to require 2 day notice minimum..........

I can do a show (Using templates) in a couple of hours.......

Thank you for your inputs
Texan

Return to Business Applications