Pricing for Pop Art creations

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Pricing for Pop Art creations

Postby HunnyB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:56 am

I have been asked to do some Pop Art for a client.
I need suggestions on how to price a project like this.

:?: I was thinking it would be like a photo restoration charge.
But not sure. Does a $25 fee sound good? Or should it be more?

This could turn out to be a good "little" income addition to my "little" business.

What do ya'll think?
:D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Pricing for Pop Art creations

Postby DickK » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:54 pm

Frankly, I don't know what the project even is but how many minutes or hours? What's the market price for a stock version of whatever you're creating?

That price sounds cheap to me but what do I know -- not much!

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby HunnyB » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:57 pm

This process of creating Pop Art from a photograph takes a little practice,
but once you get the hang of it, you will spend about 15 minutes creating the effect.
Here is one I just did of my granddaughter. I am still tweaking it some.
The photo looks really cool in a frame, and in a show. :D

HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby tm-hranch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:25 pm

HunnyB,
Don't know if I can help with your pricing but just wanted to say I really like your creations. Are you using Pop Art Studio software? I went online to look. Seems like you can do some in Photoshop or you can buy separate software. Just wondering what you're using.

Thanks, Theresa

Postby HunnyB » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 am

Don't know about that software. I did this in Photoshop.
HunnyB

Postby trulytango » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:37 am

Hi Hunny

Your grandaughter is lovely and her Pop Art Portrait looks great.

I did a few Pop Art Portraits recently as gifts (see the one of my neice below)... they looked really cool sized around 20 x 20 cm within a bevelled mount and glass clip-frame of around 30cm square. If I was to consider selling portraits such as these I would definitely consider presenting them ready mounted? You can then add your signature to the mount and the product looks really professional and certainly worth more than the $25 you mentioned. Good quality 30cm square mountboards and glass clip-frames cost me around £4 per set in the UK.

Don't sell yourself short. The technique takes time to master and the end result is unique!
TTFN
Iris

Postby HunnyB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:50 am

Iris
Oh, wow -- I love your picture.
Love the colors. I need to really practice more.
You are good!!!!
And thanks for the framing tips.
HunnyB

Postby trulytango » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:28 am

Thanks Hunny... yours is spot-on. A true Pop Art i.e bright, primary colours. My background had to be tweaked because I had 4 to do and my sister-in-law wanted them all to match when hung up in the kids study :roll:

I bought the frames/mounts by the dozen and that brought the overall cost of their Christmas presents right down!

TTFN
Iris

Postby HunnyB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:28 am

Iris, now I need to work on MY AVATAR :arrow: :arrow:
HunnyB

Postby texbrandt » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:21 pm

[quote="HunnyB"]I have been asked to do some Pop Art for a client.
I need suggestions on how to price a project like this.

:?: I was thinking it would be like a photo restoration charge.
But not sure. Does a $25 fee sound good? Or should it be more?

This could turn out to be a good "little" income addition to my "little" business.

Nearly every artist I have known in the 30 plus years I have been in the art business has struggled early on with the question of how to price their work.

here are some things I have learned.
Price high you can always come down if you have to.
(its harder to go up)
People tend to perceive the quality of the art work as much by the price as anything
Whatever price pops into your head for something, you should at least double that or possibly triple it
The actual time involved in producing a work of art is only a small part of what went into it. My usual answer for those who wanted to know how long it took me to do a piece of wood sculpture was "all my life up to and through the moment of its creation."
I like the story about the mechanic who was flown into the hinterlands to fix a machine that no one else was able to fix. He walked up to the machine listened to it for a moment, took a hammer from his tool box and gave it a sharp rap. The machine began to run smoothly for the first time in years. He presented bill of $5000 to the manager who frowned asked why the bill was so much when all the mechanic did was tap the machine. the mechanic replied "there is a $1 charge for tapping the machine, the other $4999 is for knowing where to tap."

The other thing to consider in pricing is to make the regular retail price high enough so that if someone wants to resell these you can afford to give a significant discount.

Remember, no one else has your vision or sees the world the way you do, don't sell yourself short.

Hope this helps.

Robert
http://texbrandt.com
for some of my old pro show shows go to photodex browse member and type in texbrandt
"Seeking questions for life's persistent answers."
http://texbrandt.com/blog

Postby HunnyB » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, Robert, thank you VERY much :!:
HunnyB

Postby czali » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:08 am

HunnyB,

Congads on the new venture. The only thing that I would add is that try to go as high as possible. If is is someone you know you can always offer a discount or if someone asks you to do six or more a volume discount. Hope that helps you and goodluck!

Colleen

Return to Business Applications