Need help pricing a wedding slideshow

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Need help pricing a wedding slideshow

Postby HunnyB » Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:50 pm

I just got a call from a photographer friend of mine and
she wants me to start doing her wedding slideshows. Yippy :D
Right now she has 2 weddings for me to do.

I need some suggestions on the pricing.
I can't be too expensive, but I don't want to sell myself short either.

And how long should a show like this be --- one or two songs, or longer?
Also, is there a website I can go to that has a good list of wedding songs?

Oh, can I tell the photographer that I need at least 2 or 3 weeks to complete the job?

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP YOU CAN GIVE ME :!:
I need to tell her what I will charge by tomorrow night.
:roll:
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

rena180

Re: Need help pricing a wedding slideshow

Postby rena180 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Wow, that's great. What you could do is look online and see what photographers charge for their montage. You dont want to overcharge, but surely you don't want to cheat yourself either. I typically charge $120.00 for 40 photos, $225.00 for 80 and up from there. Are you putting together a wow show or just fades and blends. You could create a few awesome templates and then be ready to get those shows out lickity split. That's just my humble answer to your question. Congratulations and I hope this helps a little. I am sure the experts will chime in shortly.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:50 am

HunnyB

I do wedding shows for a local photographer and charge £50 ($100). I maybe selling myself a little short here, but they are easy shows. They are of the wedding day only, no 'growing up' photos etc., no scanning.

Most wedding photographer have a particular 'shooting' procedure, they take the same shots for each wedding time after time, you get to know what to expect. I do not tend to vary the shows, they all look very similar, infact the photos are very similar. The music as also the same each time :oops: . Remember they are going to different customer, so they don't know. In fact he sells the slide shows at a small cost as an added bonus and shows the prospective customer " You will get a slide show, like this", so they expect something similar.

Usually about 60 photos and 10 mins long, with a short video of the vows being taken.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby HunnyB » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:44 am

Rena, I may look into the template idea. That sometime can be more difficult to me than easy.
But it is certainly an idea. Thanks for responding.

Brian, for a 10 minute show, are you using the same song, or 2 or 3?
I told the photographer last night that I was not into baby pictures and all that of the couple.
Maybe a few slides of when they met, but I wanted to keep it strictly about the wedding.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:03 am

Awesome gig - Congratulations HunnyB

I would probably charge $100. for up to 60 pictures. You want to keep your price low so you get plenty of repeat business.

Although the price of $100 sounds low, if you create a few different templates to use, it shouldn't take that long to drop the photos in. If you don't use templates and you spend a many hours working on a show, you won't be making any money.

I would also invest in a few good royalty free music pieces that are suitable for weddings. If you have a business and the photographer has a business, it will protect both of you. If the photographer is a professional, I would think she would frown upon anything that wasn't royalty free. Afterall, she wouldn't want her photos being used without being paid.

I would also ask her if you can add your intro or not. If you are doing the shows for her business, she may not want your name on them.

I would also ask her for enough sample photos for you to put a few different shows together to help you get started.

Once again, congratulations on the gig.

Kathy

Postby HunnyB » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:11 am

Kathy --- thank you for responding and giving me advice.
The more I think about it --- a good template will certainly save me time.
And thanks for the heads up on the music.
HunnyB

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:30 am

HunnyB

I have just four pieces of music that were recorded for me, including the 'Wedding March' on a local church organ. I also have a 'peal of bells' that can be inserted. I find these quite sufficient. Usually a intro bit of soft music, the Wedding March during the Church Isle walk, a 'peal of bells' coming out of the church and then a romantic melody after that during family photos. I give reference at the end to the music composers, the church where the 'Wedding March' was recorded, and the band playing the other music.

All these pieces were supplied by the photographer.
Briancbb (Brian, Clown by birth)
Thanks Al for the signature
Producer v6.0 Build 3410

Postby marmart » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:18 pm

Hey HunnyB - you go girl!! That is so fantastic and I bet she has seen your grad shows and knew it was a win-win.

Have you seen Jennifer's Wedding template?? It is very classy - her wedding demo is on the pdex site - here is the link http://www.photodex.com/sharing/spotlight/demoshows_movingpictures.html

She sells the template - watch it - at the very least it will give you some ideas.

Good luck!

Mary

Return to Business Applications