I want to hire you to make a smokin' promotional slideshow

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
FogartyFOTO

Postby FogartyFOTO » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:51 pm

Howdy folks.

At the suggestion of Hunny, I'm cross-posting this request to hire a PSP star here in the business section.

I just finished the two-day training course in Las Vegas, and I just joined this forum yesterday.

During the Q&A with the founder of the company I asked him where I could hire a talented PSP artist and he suggested that I post here.

I hope that I'm not breaching any protocol by putting out a request for proposal to all the talented people here to create my first promotional wedding video.

I'm a photographer, and I've been sitting on some wedding shots for a while, but I'm ready to put my work out into my community.

If you're interested in earning a little extra money and showing off your abilities, please contact me.

Specifically, I've got photos from three weddings I'd like to showcase. When the slideshow is done I will want both the final rendered project but also the source files, so that I can modify and build upon what you've done.

In advance, thank you for getting in touch with me.

All my best,

Steve Fogarty
www.FogartyFOTO.com
steve@fogartyfoto.com
801-918-9822

Postby kaylef » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:24 am

Hi Steve

I think its very exciting that you posted this proposal here! This will really get some creative juices flowing! I can't wait to see the final product that
you choose to promote your work. (I'm assuming you'll show it here) You have entered a virtual goldmine of proshow talent in this forum!

Kay

Postby amazingmary » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:51 am

Steve
So that I've got it correct- you want to hire one of us who has right stuff to do a an awesome show with your wedding photos so that you can use it as your promotional show - which more or less tells everyone that this is a sample of your work and you have what it takes to do the shows for your clients- hmmmmm very interesting....
Amazing Mary

Postby debngar » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Hi Steve,

If you are wanting to use ready made templates, then your demo may wind up looking a lot like other people's cookie cutter demos.

If you are completely new to ProShow, it takes more than simply purchasing the program and having a ready made template to "build" upon it and use it. You must have some kind of working knowledge of how to actually use the program, adjust the key-frames, add and/or substitute additional photos, place the images, move things around, know how to use masks and adjust them for each image, time the slides, add captions and effects, choosing colors, using video, creating custom animations etc. That is only the tip of the iceburg. It also takes some design sense to put it all together and make it look good. You may have some of that design sense already since you are in the business.

All those abilities come with hours upon hours, months upon month of using the program. Sort of like what it takes to become familiar with using your camera, knowing how to best pose people, how NOT to pose people, how to make the best use of lighting, timing your shots etc. I know you can probably appreciate what I'm trying to say here.

If you are speaking of having a demo made that you can use but don't want it to look so much like everyone elses, they key to that is to definitely customize it. Put your spin on your product etc.

I know that probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but it is what it is.

It takes a lot of time to build a decent demo besides. By stating "a little extra money" in what range are we talking about?

You may PM me if you like so we can talk further and I can point you to some things/ideas to get you going maybe. Right now I'm in a time crunch for the next 6 days though and don't have a time to work on anything.

Debbie

dreamland

Postby dreamland » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:24 pm

PM sent !

We have the time for you. Also we don't work for money :D (explanation sent about our charity.org). Here is the link to our wedding promotional show:
http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 4591&alb=0

Let us know what you think,

Gabriella and Steve
DreamLand PhotoGraphics

FogartyFOTO

Re: I want to hire you to make a smokin' promotional slidesh

Postby FogartyFOTO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:00 am

amazingmary wrote:Steve
So that I've got it correct- you want to hire one of us who has right stuff to do a an awesome show with your wedding photos so that you can use it as your promotional show - which more or less tells everyone that this is a sample of your work and you have what it takes to do the shows for your clients- hmmmmm very interesting....

Gee Amazin' - thanks for the warm welcome. And for assuming the very worst about me.

Just so you've got it correct, yes, I want to hire a skilled DVD authoring artist to create an awesome slide show with which I will show off my photography, and no, I don't want to misrepresent myself as a skilled DVD author, because I'm not one. Which is why I'm trying to hire one, who will help me show off my expertise, which is photography.

How you ever induced from my simple transparent request that I intend to sell your DVD services as my own is beyond me. By that logic, I guess I should fear that every bride who hires me for my photography expertise is really secretly scheming to show off my photographs as her own so that she can steal photography jobs from me. Sheesh! :?

Good luck with the paranoia thing. And with the acid interpersonal relations thing, too.

Moving on now to the non-paranoid, nice people on this forum ...

Steve Fogarty
Last edited by FogartyFOTO on Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

FogartyFOTO

Postby FogartyFOTO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:26 am

debngar wrote:Hi Steve,

If you are wanting to use ready made templates, then your demo may wind up looking a lot like other people's cookie cutter demos.

If you are completely new to ProShow, it takes more than simply purchasing the program and having a ready made template to "build" upon it and use it. You must have some kind of working knowledge of how to actually use the program, adjust the key-frames, add and/or substitute additional photos, place the images, move things around, know how to use masks and adjust them for each image, time the slides, add captions and effects, choosing colors, using video, creating custom animations etc. That is only the tip of the iceburg. It also takes some design sense to put it all together and make it look good. You may have some of that design sense already since you are in the business.

All those abilities come with hours upon hours, months upon month of using the program. Sort of like what it takes to become familiar with using your camera, knowing how to best pose people, how NOT to pose people, how to make the best use of lighting, timing your shots etc. I know you can probably appreciate what I'm trying to say here.

If you are speaking of having a demo made that you can use but don't want it to look so much like everyone elses, they key to that is to definitely customize it. Put your spin on your product etc.

I know that probably wasn't the answer you were looking for but it is what it is.

It takes a lot of time to build a decent demo besides. By stating "a little extra money" in what range are we talking about?

You may PM me if you like so we can talk further and I can point you to some things/ideas to get you going maybe. Right now I'm in a time crunch for the next 6 days though and don't have a time to work on anything.

Debbie

Gosh Deb, that sounds really really hard. Like something one would hire a professional for, by posting to a forum. Which is just exactly what I decided to do after taking a two day course in PSP recently. :shock:

Call me crazy, but I thought that offering to hire someone for their expertise was considered a good thing by that person.

I'm brand new here, just trying to give somebody a job, so I don't know the history of this board.

But I'm taken aback by the bad vibes emanating from a few. While many people have responded via PM to my transparent request to hire their services, in a manner that is polite, civil, and in a spirit of cooperation and commerce, a couple are just full of vinegar. I don't know what's gone on here in the past, and I probably don't wanna know.

At least now I know who I'm not going to hire.

Best to you, Deb.

Postby HunnyB » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:18 am

Steve, this is the part that some are concerned about what you said:

"When the slideshow is done I will want both the final rendered project but also the source files, so that I can modify and build upon what you've done. "

This is like a songwriter spending his talents on a song, giving it to you to change a bit,
and then you selling it as your own. It wouldn't happen.
You will have to ALWAYS show a credit in your show to the original creator of the slideshow.
And they give you permission to use the show in the future.

If you just want someone to do a show for you promoting YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY, that is different.
You are saying that slideshows are not offered by you - this is just an advertisement for your business.

So, that is what the concern is for the most part. ( I think anyway).

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

FogartyFOTO

Postby FogartyFOTO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:13 pm

HunnyB wrote:Steve, this is the part that some are concerned about what you said:

"When the slideshow is done I will want both the final rendered project but also the source files, so that I can modify and build upon what you've done. "

This is like a songwriter spending his talents on a song, giving it to you to change a bit,
and then you selling it as your own. It wouldn't happen.
You will have to ALWAYS show a credit in your show to the original creator of the slideshow.
And they give you permission to use the show in the future.

If you just want someone to do a show for you promoting YOUR PHOTOGRAPHY, that is different.
You are saying that slideshows are not offered by you - this is just an advertisement for your business.

So, that is what the concern is for the most part. ( I think anyway).

HunnyB

Artists concerned that they are credited for their work seems pretty normal to me. In the photography world, the less credit one gets, the more money they are paid. The reason you never see the photographer's name in magazine advertising or billboards and such is because the buyer did a "full buyout".

And as far as song writers selling their work to be used by others, did you really think that Britney Spears writes her songs? Artists sell their work to be performed and built upon by others all the time, and they do so with credit.

Again, why in the world is anybody assuming that I wouldn't give credit? And why in the world is anyone not assuming that that is but one term that they will negotiate?

So instead of a simple, civil negotiation where the terms of credit and payment are worked out along with everything else, a couple people on this board instead chose to assume the worst and then accuse me of attempted copyright theft and then convict me in absentia - cop, judge and jury. Very very strange. And not too good for business, I'll bet.

I did say that I want to build upon the work I've purchased. I want to buy a custom show, and then use that as a template for future displays. Just in the same way that all of my clients want to own the digital negatives I have made for them, so that they can use that work in the ways they choose. The more usage they want, the more I charge.

I'm happy to negotiate whatever price is reasonable, and hopefully never suggested otherwise.

If things are done differently in the DVD authoring world, then please, educate me. But snarky and rude comments that assume the very worst of people are just, to me, very odd and inappropriate.

As I said, several talented DVD authoring artists have already responded to my request in a civil, normal manner, and one of them will get my business.

Best to you,

Steve Fogarty

Postby HunnyB » Mon Mar 31, 2008 12:50 pm

You would think that one day I would learn to keep my mouth shut.... :roll:

Steve, I was only trying to help and explain what I think was trying to be said.
That's all.

I never thought that you were going to STEAL from anyone.

The songwriter thing is just that - a songwriter thing. Not Brittney Spears.
The song is bought and performed - not bought and changed.
Get it?

Sorry if you thought I was being rude or something.
Just comparing apples to apples.

Your clients buy photos that you took.
What they cannot do is take a image that you shot, and photoshop it and say they took it.

I think this has just been a misunderstanding thing.
No harm meant on my end.
I hope you get exactly what you need for a show.

HunnyB
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

FogartyFOTO

Postby FogartyFOTO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:17 pm

HunnyB wrote:I never thought that you were going to STEAL from anyone.

The songwriter thing is just that - a songwriter thing. Not Brittney Spears.
The song is bought and performed - not bought and changed.
Get it?

Your clients buy photos that you took.
What they cannot do is take a image that you shot, and photoshop it and say they took it.

You didn't see David Cook perform Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean" the other night on Idol? He changed it dramatically. Brilliantly. He improved it tremendously, made it his own. And Michael Jackson got credit for writing the original.

Regarding my photos, Hunny, my clients CAN "take an image that [I] shot ... photoshop it and say they took it." All they have to do is pay me for the privilege. It would be one of many terms that we would negotiate.

If my client said upfront that they wanted the digital negatives (which is the equivalent to what I stated in my original post here) I would assume they had bigger plans for the photos, and we would discuss them. But I wouldn't assume the worst from the git go, nor would I charge, try and execute a complete stranger in a public forum.

You have not done that Hunny, but you appear to be apologizing for those who have.

I'm done.

If anyone wants to sell me their services where I buy the digital negatives, please PM me or better, e-mail me directly.

Steve Fogarty
steve@fogartyfoto.com

Postby HunnyB » Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Okay, Okay. Enough said.
BUT, LOL, Billie Jean was still the same beat and words.
In a slideshow, you would only be able to change the photos, like
in templates. I guess, anyway.

Sometime we ask questions or have requests, or want
opinions and so many different people have different ways of responding to it.
Nobody meant any harm. Just asking questions about your request. :D

See ya around.
HunnyB
HunnyB

Postby sheldonk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:43 pm

Steve,

HunnyB is one of the most helpful, thoughtful people on this board. She goes out of her way time after time to help newbies or anyone who asks.

In fact, this board wouldn't be what it is without her. As the expression goes, "please cut her some slack"!

Thanks alot and welcome.

Sheldon

FogartyFOTO

Postby FogartyFOTO » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:23 pm

sheldonk wrote:Steve,

HunnyB is one of the most helpful, thoughtful people on this board. She goes out of her way time after time to help newbies or anyone who asks.

In fact, this board wouldn't be what it is without her. As the expression goes, "please cut her some slack"!

Thanks alot and welcome.

Sheldon

Thank you for the welcome message, Sheldon.

Cheers,

Steve

Postby sheldonk » Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:27 pm

Steve,

I wish I could help you with your project. I am what is known as a "Proshow Wannabee". I'm also a photographer wannabee.

I guess I'll have to stick with my male modeling career. Big underwear shoot next week. Gotta cut back on the muffins for a few days.

Sheldon

Next

Return to Business Applications