White paper CD labels....to be or not to be?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Postby bob walden » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:02 am

Has anyone done a cost on using direct print? I rarely print with my Epson because of the ink costs and keeping the printer in balanced color. And are the disks for the printed labels more expensive? On a large order this could contribute to the price charged.

Bob W.

Alida

How do I thank you....let me count the ways...

Postby Alida » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:57 pm

Dear Jean, Vernon, Rick, Bob W, Mike S, geo, Debbie, Barbara, Brenda & Brian. First, Thanks so much for all your informative and prompt replies to my query. I was overwhelmed by all your responses. I had a computer technian (and personal friend who only charges $20 per hour) over at my home to prepare me and get me some space on my computer(purchased in '03 ). The bad news is that my hard drive is dying. I will be holding a wake on Monday January 14th at 2 pm.....in luei of flowers please make cheques payable to my new favourite charity...namely...'R.A.V.E.( Rachel & Alida Verkerke Enterprises Productions) LOL. But seriously folks, it gave me an excuse to shop for another computer to suit and handle my future business needs. I understand in order to make money....I have to spend money. I will be picking up my new 'toy' on Tuesday and I also bought a new Kodak printer/scanner/copier for $145. The laptop ( my very first one) was on sale...$180 off @ $999.99 AND a carrying case all totaled at $1700 tax included. I digress!

After carefully reading and rereading all your helpful advice, especially about asking the client's preference I will use up the paper labels I have perchased so far as I don't want to incurr to many start up costs right now and the The Bank of Hubbie's pockets are not too deep. I want to fiscally responsible and pay back and also....momma needs new shoes!
Once again...thanks a million good people. Your help is invaluable! Hugs, Alida

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:16 am

Alida

It's great when you have a good reason to spend money on your hobby. It's the small conscience nibbles that hurt afterwards - but they soon go away :D

alida wrote:I will use up the paper labels I have perchased so far as I don't want to incurr to many start up costs right

Now that made me laugh, :lol: :lol:

The colour type of your threads make them stand out, but they do hurt my eyes :D

Brian

Mike S.

Re: How do I thank you....let me count the ways...

Postby Mike S. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:00 am

Alida wrote:... I will use up the paper labels I have perchased so far as I don't want to incurr to many start up costs right now ...

Please don't take this reply the wrong way. Very gently, "think about it". If you lose even one client because of using stick on paper labels, you will have:

- lost more profit from the loss of that one client than the cost of the paper labels and a new disc printer (printers are give aways).
- lost the opportunity to demo your slideshow to 200+ guests at their party when you project the show.
- lost potential business from one or more of those guests and the snowball effect those clients offered.
- lost potential future business from that one lost client (say H.S. grad slideshows for his/her other kids).
- the initial lost client may mention why she didn't consider you for her slideshow to her friends.
- created an image of your business that can take years to remove later.
- when you use up your current paper labels you will be buying a new disc printer anyway.

One of the best advice I learned when I first started my business was reading a reply from one poster to another. His comment was "don't be frugal in business decisions and operations". Over the years I caught myself being frugal and then realized that I was agonizing and losing time over a few cents or dollars needlessly. There are so many opportunities for stress in a slideshow business (like completing 3 slideshows in time for a weekend projections and the computer is crashing ...:wink: ) that removing other stress when possible is a good thing.

Take care,
Mike S.
Last edited by Mike S. on Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cost on using direct print

Postby jeanc » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:18 am

bob walden wrote:Has anyone done a cost on using direct print? I rarely print with my Epson because of the ink costs and keeping the printer in balanced color. And are the disks for the printed labels more expensive? On a large order this could contribute to the price charged.

Bob W.

I have done a ballpark and it is around $3.00 per DVD with black case - this is total of supply costs....... give or take a little depending on where I buy the supplies. I just purchased the package of 6 inks at Costco for $64.99. I buy my premium cases from supermediastore.com. I get "buy one get one" coupons several times per year for TDK white printable (100 to pkg) DVDs from Costco and take advantage of that as often as I can. This cuts the DVD cost down to around .20 per disc. Naturally amount of ink used is dependent on the design of your DVD label and case and I don't try to cut corners here. I printed probably 100 with one set of inks. I haven't done an exact break down, but feel I am pretty close to the ballpark. Actually I think $2.50 is closer to the costs for the 100 I did last year.

Hope this helps.

And ..........I agree with MikeS's comment "don't be frugal in business decisions and operations".

Smiles,
Jean

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:47 pm

I am embarrassed when I say I didn't even know you could buy a direct print on disc printer :oops: but now that I know I will buy one. I'm researching it now. Thanks for the tips.
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

Photoshop CS2, PSG & PSP, Kodak C653

Postby iromero » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:19 am

I purchase an Epson 580 about a year ago for about $99. It has served me well. Well worth the price for the functionality. I do agree that Epson inks can get rather expensive and I am not sure I trust the aftermarket inks.

Ivan

Postby marmart » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:12 am

I buy my "genuine" Epson ink at www.atlex.com and save considerably compared to a Staples. They also have knock-offs, but I stick to the real deal.

Mary

Epson ink

Postby KellyInAz » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:44 am

Check for Epson ink at Sam's Club as well. For my R200 printer it costs about $56 for all 6 colors. Best deal I have found so far for the real deal.
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it."

Thomas Jefferson

Esteemed Member

Postby LEE7 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:48 pm

I use Epson R300, with a Continous Ink System, for both CD/DVD printables & Photographs.

If there is a difference between Epson inks & the ones I buy in bottles, I cant see it.

Been using it for 3 years, no problems.

regards.

Peter

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:13 pm

I use an Epson R220 and have had it for the last couple of years. Sad to say I use compatable cartridges (all I can afford). They are £13.38 ($26) for three sets of six cartridges (18 cartridges). Never had any problem with them.

Brian

Previous

Return to Business Applications