Prices for prints

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
dlvery

Prices for prints

Postby dlvery » Mon Jan 07, 2008 12:52 pm

I came across an interesting dilemna. My business is fairly new and I have done a couple of youth sports shows and am surprised at the people asking me if they can purchase some of the photos that I took. I was surprised and now wonder.... how much should I charge for prints? Some of these folks purchased the photoshows and others knew that i had taken photos of their children during sporting events. Any ideas how to find a fair price for prints? Don't want to overcharge but also dont want to undercharge.

Thanks,

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:51 pm

Whatever the market will bear.
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

dlvery

Postby dlvery » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:33 pm

:D
Thanks Tarafrost. I figured that part of it, but what I wonder is where do I look to find what the local market is? Where does a photographer enthusiast (not a professional) fall in line. I fall in somewhere between Walmart printing and a professional photographer. :? I have a Canon Rebel EOS camera that takes beautiful pictures. I just never expected so many folks to ask me if I would sell prints while I was doing photo shows.

DL

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:33 pm

Try tracking down some specialty outfits that shoot things like gymnastics, karate and other competitions. They typically have one or two shooters, and a booth where they display the electronic prints and where customers can pick ones they want to buy.

Then price your prints accordingly.

Or figure out how much you spend in equipment, computers, software, paper, ink. Divide by the number of prints you think you can sell and then multiply by 5x or 10x to account for your time.

Or another option. Take the Walmart price for a print of a specific size, add to it the Pro's price, then divide by two. Charge that. Some folks call this an "average".

How in the world do you expect us to figure out your local pricing model? We don't even know where you live, what kind of sports you're shooting, whether your shots are any good, and how price sensitive your prospective customers might be.

Do some homework....come up with a price you can live with, and try it. Then adjust to suit iteratively as you gain more experience and more knowledge of what the market will bear.

Or waste more time asking silly questions rather than selling photos to eager customers.

Your choice.

<sheesh>

BTW...I use the sig line for a reason. ;-)
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

Return to Business Applications