Help- On Starting A Slideshow Business..

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Postby mjmell » Mon Apr 24, 2006 11:31 pm

On the several occasions the feeder has "jammed" it has never damaged any photos, but instead fed two onto the glass at once. You lift up the feeder and can get at the photos easily. The mechanism to feed the photos (where they are out of your reach) is only a couple inches long, unlike a printer where it wraps around from bottom to top. This just guides them down onto the glass. It really works pretty nicely. I was concerned about this, and also about surface scratches on the photos, since they aren't mine, but haven't experienced either. I do find that you have to lift up the feeder and dust off the glass pretty often to avoid paper dust.

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:52 am

mjmell wrote:On the several occasions the feeder has "jammed" it has never damaged any photos, but instead fed two onto the glass at once. You lift up the feeder and can get at the photos easily. The mechanism to feed the photos (where they are out of your reach) is only a couple inches long, unlike a printer where it wraps around from bottom to top. This just guides them down onto the glass. It really works pretty nicely. I was concerned about this, and also about surface scratches on the photos, since they aren't mine, but haven't experienced either. I do find that you have to lift up the feeder and dust off the glass pretty often to avoid paper dust.

Thanks for sharing your "actual user" experience. As long as client photos cannot be damaged it sounds pretty good. Never thought about the dust problem so thanks for sharing that as well.

Mike S.

radman2020

my experience

Postby radman2020 » Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:32 am

I have the same scanner. It does get jammed but I have never had it harm a photo. It just seems to stop... If there were a particularly fragile or valuable picture, I guess I would scan it manually just to be safe.....

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:10 am

Hey Jessica,
I just watched your sample shows and was impressed by how quickly they load and how clear they are. Can you give info on how you did this without Presenter? I have cable internet but I have seen other shows on other sites that are much smaller and shorter that sputter and stammer. Your's was clear and smooth. If you don't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.
SusanW

Esteemed Member

Postby SusanW » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:12 am

I also load as many photos as possible to scan at once. The self-feed type sounds easier though. Is the max. size that it will scan 4" x 6"?
Thanks
SusanW

How dare you call me a thief!!!!!

Postby PhotoBob » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:51 am

I do a small slide show business, but I really do not get into the scanning portion of it too much. My business is mainly you hiring my camera as well as my talent for what ever function or event that you are having and wish to capture it in a slide show type of media. It is too much of a problem for someone to bring me a few pictures that they want placed into a slide show and they may include picture that as we all know are copyrighted, and they do not have the person who created that image permission to use it. People talk a lot on the different forums about people stealing their work through copying their work with out their permission and I know that I would also be just as upset. I am very careful about what images are brought to me to be scanned and placed in a slide show. If a person brings me an image that I feel is something that may be a copyright issue I immediately require them to fill out a form and get it signed by the owner of the image; note that I did not say the photo but the image that was placed on the photo paper; giving me permission to include their image in my slide show presentation. If you are very careful about that, you should really have no problem with a slide show business, but that can really be a serious headache for you if you receive a letter from a lawyer asking you to defend yourself in court accusing you of stealing of someone else's work. Next you say, what if they sign the paper themselves or have someone else sigh it. Well, at least you would have some sort of paper to send to that lawyer or to take into court that has their signature as well as the signature that they have gotten forged in order to try and defend yourself with.

auto-feed scanner

Postby mjmell » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:47 am

SusanW,
The size limit of the feed mechanism is 4 1/8 inches.... so, yes, 4x6 is about the largest size photos you can auto-scan. I just set all the larger ones off to the side and scan them last, with the conventional flat bed lid. (the scanner comes with two different tops which are easily detached and reattached.)

Esteemed Member

Postby SusanW » Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:32 am

Thanks for the info mjmell. That does sound like it would make a big difference if you have alot to scan.
SusanW

sumgrl19

Sample Shows

Postby sumgrl19 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:25 pm

Anonymous wrote:Hey Jessica,
I just watched your sample shows and was impressed by how quickly they load and how clear they are. Can you give info on how you did this without Presenter? I have cable internet but I have seen other shows on other sites that are much smaller and shorter that sputter and stammer. Your's was clear and smooth. If you don't mind sharing I would really appreciate it.
SusanW

Susan,

I actually save my slideshow as a video (in PSP), and then import it into Windows Movie Maker. Then I save that file (as a wmv. file) and upload it to my server. Simple as that, and they always seem to run pretty smooth. Plus, the files are much smaller..which makes for a faster download and smooth playback. Hope this helps.

Jessica

sumgrl19

Where to buy the Epson Scanner???

Postby sumgrl19 » Mon May 01, 2006 11:36 pm

I was wondering where I can buy the Epson 2480 Photo scanner with automatic feeder... I tried looking for it online at bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com but couldn't find it. I really need to get one soon. I have an order coming in, my largest one yet, with around 500 photos. So, I am thinking it would help a lot to have a scanner with an automatic feeder! Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jessica

Re: Where to buy the Epson Scanner???

Postby marmart » Tue May 02, 2006 2:53 am

sumgrl19 wrote:I was wondering where I can buy the Epson 2480 Photo scanner with automatic feeder... I tried looking for it online at bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com but couldn't find it. I really need to get one soon. I have an order coming in, my largest one yet, with around 500 photos. So, I am thinking it would help a lot to have a scanner with an automatic feeder! Anyways, any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jessica

Jessica, I just put Epson Auto Feed Scanner in Google and lots of choices came up...Amazon has one for $99 but I think it was the 2580. Good luck

sumgrl19

Scanner Search

Postby sumgrl19 » Tue May 02, 2006 8:14 am

I would actually like to personally go to a store and buy it...instead of online. But thanks for looking!

Jessica

Previous

Return to Business Applications