Do you provide full sample shows?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
reeselite

Do you provide full sample shows?

Postby reeselite » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:25 am

I am in the process of creating a website and I have noticed with other sites I see there are some that offer a full video as a sample and then there are some that only offer a three second shot of an intro or transition.

Is there a reason for doing one over the other?

On one hand maybe you shouldn't post an entire show but on the other hand, I can't really tell what someone can offer me without seeing a little more of what they can do.

Just curious for those that do one or the other, why?

Just so I can have a little input on what I should do!

Thanks!

reese

Postby nannybear » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:50 pm

Instead of a full show I try to show what is available to the client. Typesof shows themes etc.....just my 2 cents. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby czali » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:10 pm

Reese,

I would try to limit the sample to about 3 min. I think that is all any stranger will watch but it also is enough time to show them what you can do. That is just my 2 cents.

Colleen

mlanders

Postby mlanders » Thu Oct 25, 2007 1:12 pm

Hi reese,

i create websites - and sell website-creation - and more in this section - so i prefer to give my clients the possibilities to look at my work as references.

I now work on my presentations site - of course with producer created works - and i set my references as flashshows into my site - of course with the permisson of my clients.

So a fully designed show shows best of what you could do with all variations of creating a show.
For instance i have a narrated show on my website and some shows without narration only to show what is possible and what is the difference between the shows my clients could choose.

---- I would create a 3 or 5 minute show (maybe an additonal 10 minute show of your whole work but not more) of your own profession and then add different projects into the site wich shows different variations of work in producer, this could be, like i mentioned before, as references ----

Maybe you think a full show is too much, but so the people that look at your shows get an idea how their own show could be and they get an idea (and their own thouhts) of what could be done for their own business or need - the shows help my clients to figure out what is possible for themselfes and they begin look to my shows under the aspect:
"Yes, this is exactly what i thought of...yes, this i need in my show, too....
...whats this....oh...never thougth this is possible...oh this i would like to have in my own presentation-photo-show..."

So the client could choose himeslf if he skips the presentaiton.
He doesn't need to see the whole thing but he could and this could give him ideas for his own show...

Michael

reeselite

Postby reeselite » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks for the information. I am leaning towards a three minute (or less) myself now. Maybe a demo show or something with different occasions mixed in.

I was just wanting to avoid any pitfalls I might not have been aware of.

Thanks!

magnusg

Postby magnusg » Fri Oct 26, 2007 12:25 am

It might be a good idea to have several example shows online. Not more than three minutes. The client will want
to watch more than one to see what you can do. He doesn't want to watch four 10 minute shows.
Here are a few different 'topics'

1. Weddings
2. Tribute
3. Vacation/holiday
4. Real estate
5. Other

Then the potential clients can see that you are able to produce more than one type of shows.
Make sure that the shows are very different in content and style from each other.

A thing to keep in mind....don't try to "sell" you talent by using every transition and effect under the sun.
Effects do impress the client somewhat, but sometimes when I've gone to websites I have seen people trying to impress
the potential client showing all the transitions and effects they can produce.
Rather show Your skill and creativity.

She/he will have a particular show in in mind. A very common show might be about weddings.
It might be a good idea to have two different example shows.

Also, create a nice website. If you don't have a nice site, the client might think that...'well, if he can't design a good website,
then what will the show be like'.
So, remember, you are marketing yourself and your talent.

Blessings!
Magnus

reeselite

Postby reeselite » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:18 am

Thanks so much for that.

I have fallen into the "more is more" thought pattern before with bells and whistles, but thankfully haven't acted on it. At least not that anyone could prove. :)

I like the idea of several example shows as opposed to one with different segments. Makes better sense.

As far as website, I am leaving that up to a professional. After banging my head against the desk for a few weeks I realized that I don't speak code. I had a disagreement with FileZilla and it tried to give the entire world write access to everything I had.

:)

Thanks again for the advice. I really appreciate it.

reese

magnusg

Postby magnusg » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:29 am

Hi again,

I just thought of one other thing.
I assume that you are going to advertise your service in your local newspaper.
But, you also want internet business.

I read sometimes that people are disappointed that they are not generating enough business.
I think one reason for that is that they don't know how to get people to their site.

Make sure that you have plenty of search words.
People are directed to your site through the search words that you have made.
Think about which words you woud type in in Google if you were searching for a company or particular service. Be creative.

You want your company to come up on the first page or at least the second one, when people search for your type of service. If your site comes up on the 6th page....something is wrong.
That make's all the difference. There's alot of business out there. You just need to know how to market yourself.

Magnus

Return to Business Applications