MySpace

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

MySpace

Postby debra roehn » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:01 pm

I feel that I need to share this with of you guys that are trying to start a business like me and are finding it very slow. My friend had an idea to start a myspace page and dedicate to the business I am trying to jump start. It is free advertising and I though I would give it a shot. I put it up about 5 days ago and have already gotten two jobs. For anyone that is willing to try something new it is worth a shot....

good luck

Debbie

Postby nannybear » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:36 am

Can you share the myspace link to give us an idea of what you did? Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:33 pm

Hi Debbie

This sounds like a good idea but I'm curious about who actually will get to see it. My daughter started highschool this year and is crazy about all that stuff. She thought I would need to "choose" or "invite" who is able to see my myspace. It's really people out there locally that I don't know that I want to target, so how does it work? Sounds interesting.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:05 pm

I have never heard of an adult using My Space, but I do know it is very popular with teens. If I allowed my daughter, she would be on it constantly. I don't, so she isn't. I believe there are a couple of options when you create an account. You can keep it private and only people you invite can get to your page. Then there is the public option where anyone can look at it. I seem to remember reading something a few years ago that members who have copyrighted information on their page run the risk of having it taken down.

If I were searching for a company to do business with, I would look for a web page or search for a business in my local phone book. I wouldn't think about MS at all.

Advertising is expensive but you don't always have to advertise in a newspaper or the other normal channels. I have advertised in a publication for a church fair that was distributed to 10,000 people. I've also advertised in a publication that was distributed to a few hundred people who were playing basket bingo. One job would pay for the cost of the ad. When you go out to eat, leave your business card with the tip. It may get thrown away, it may not.

I did see an ad on MS for someone who will make "Bearverment Memorial" shows for $20. I can imagine the quality you'd be getting there.

Just my two cents...

Kathy

Postby debra roehn » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:06 pm

It is basically for teenagers, but when my son started using it I made my own account so I can track what he was doing and kind of snoop around. I found that there are a lot of 20-30 year olds that are on there also. What I did was make a page explaining the Video Scrapbook business and then uploaded some of my samples to youtube and then put them on my page then I went to the forums sections and randoming picked groups with similar interests like photography, family, moms stuff like that. Then I joined the groups and started inviting people to my page. In one day I got about 200 views on my page and then directed them to my web site and in just a few days I had two paying jobs. The two people that hired my were in there late 30's and wanted shows for the holidays to give as gifts. I also got all of my friends that I know on myspace to send a bullitin to all of there friends and so on...

As for copy rights I only posted shows that I made for myself with my family members. There is so many copy righted stuff on myspace I am not really sure if they really bother with that stuff. I know that they do delete your account for stuff that is sexually oriented and stuff like that...

I thought I would just share an idea that has worked out for my so far. The people on this site have been so nice and helpful over the months ....

debbie

Postby Princessdmw33 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:37 pm

Great idea. I, too, have a Myspace account and let's just say I am not 15 or 30. I joined to snoop around after my daughter created a page and I also have come across quite a few people that I haven't talked to in years.

Postby weldr » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:32 pm

Anybody that has kids should start a MySpace account. You'll learn more about your 16 year old in 16 minutes than you think you know from the last 16 years. Well, no all kids. I joined to keep an eye on my grandkids when they were younger. I sure know more than some of them would care. Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Pauline

Postby Pauline » Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:23 pm

Whether or not I try to promote by this method, you guys have helped me realise what a great idea it is to create a page so I can do a little check on my daughter. Sounds sneaky doesn't it, but in these times I suppose it's one way of protecting them sometimes.

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:35 am

I wasn't crazy about my daughter wanting a page two years ago when she was 13, but I let her. I told her that I wasn't going to sneak around to see what she's written, and that if she really wanted a page, I had a few rules that she needed to abide by -

only people she invited could look at it,
that whenever I wanted to look at it, she would bring it up without hesitation,
that I have the password because if I saw something inappropriate, I would change it and
to be very careful about what she wrote not only because there are a lot of sick individuals
in this world, but because it could turn around and bite her in the a** later in life.

In reading the newspaper, a lot of people are getting bitten in a** for what they've written and the pictures they've posted.

Kathy

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:16 pm

Debbie, how is your myspace page working out? Is it still going strong since you started? Just wondering because I'm thinking of following suit.

Thanks
Robyn
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

Photoshop CS2, PSG & PSP, Kodak C653

Postby debra roehn » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi Robyn,

To be honest with you I haven't been sending out my page to people the last couple of days, real life has been kind of crazy. Three boys keep me busy. One looking for colleges, one looking for a high school and one driving me crazy....I will keep you updated....

debbie

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:39 pm

Thanks Debbie, looking forward to hearing the outcome!
To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong. ~ Joseph Chilton Pearce

Photoshop CS2, PSG & PSP, Kodak C653

The Clicker

Postby The Clicker » Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:19 am

I do myspace for my business. It's www.myspace.com/sarahlynnphoto I've actually gotten quite a bit of business from it. Mostly because I did pictures for a friend and she posted them on her page. And all of her friends wanted to know who did them so she sent them to my page where they contacted me. And if you go there and look you will see I'm connected to other photographers too. I know more adults who have myspace pages than teens to be honest. My 54 yr. old mother had one before me!!

Return to Business Applications