How to increase DVD playback compatibility ?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Truelight

How to increase DVD playback compatibility ?

Postby Truelight » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:51 am

My greatest use of PSP is to make DVD slideshow-based "Proofs" for my photo clients. The shows are very simple, just one layer (photo) per slide with a macro caption that puts the filename on each image. The client can view the show and decide which prints they wish to order.

My problem has been that no matter what format disc I burn there always seem to be folks who cannot get it to play in their DVD player. I've tried DVD-R, DVD+R and lately started to play with DVD+R changing the booktype so the disc emulates a DVD-ROM (which is supposed to increase compatibility). I've still not hit on a format that is "best."

For those you you distributing copies of your shows on DVD to others, what tips/tricks have you that might help me here?

Thanks...

Rick

Postby nannybear » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:00 am

I use DVD+R and don't change any settings, so far no problem. I also burn right out of PSP. That said I have loaded the lastest version and haven't done anything yet.....Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:17 am

Rick,

Your last solution (bitsetting) is the best and you will always run into some dvd players that will not play. When something like that happens it couldn't hurt to check for a big fat fingerprint on the playing surface. Even then there are DVD players that will defy any attempts at playing home burned DVDs.

Ben
PSG, & Producer 3,4 and 5. Photo Editing: PS Elements 2.0 & 5.0, Premier Elements 3.0,

PHOTODEX GALLERY: http://www.photodex.com/share/hardsoftware
UnEmployed, and getting pretty good at it!
Facebook look for Ben R. Baca.

Truelight

Results seem to constantly change

Postby Truelight » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:41 pm

I had been using Phillips DVD-R media for my shows and while they worked great on my Apex DVD players (I have several models), I'd occasionally get someone who said they couldn't play the discs. So... hearing about DVD+R and bitsetting as a good solution, (and also the virtues of good media - Taiyo Yuden brand), I bought some Taiyo-Yuden DVD+R media. I've been creating ISO files and then burning from them using ImgBurn and setting the booktype to DVD-ROM which I was tiold is the most compatible.

Well... a test tonight (burning the same show) found the Apex players choked trying to load the DVD+R (booktype DVD-ROM), had mixed results playing a DVD+R (with booktype set to DVD+R), and best played the old Phillips DVD-R discs. Go figure... It totally defies any logic I've been told.

I might be ready to make someone a good deal on about 80 Yaiyo-Yuden DVD+R blank discs.

Any other tips / tricks? Might I be better off letting PSP burn the discs? (I typically use the ISO route when I have to make multiple copies of the same show and more so, if I have to go back and burn another copy later. Burning with PSP requires that I re-render the show before burning another copy at a later time.

- Rick

Honorary ProShow PHD

Re: Results seem to constantly change

Postby stickgirl » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:34 am

Truelight wrote:I bought some Taiyo-Yuden DVD+R media. Well... a test tonight (burning the same show) found the Apex players choked trying to load the DVD+R (booktype DVD-ROM), had mixed results playing a DVD+R (with booktype set to DVD+R),... It totally defies any logic I've been told.

Just out of curiosity since I don't use +R DVDs.....Were they genuine TY media and were they from the "premium" or "value" line?

Kathy

Truelight

TY Media

Postby Truelight » Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:35 pm

They seem genuine enough. Using disc information software, it reports that the discs are YUDEN002 as I recall. The online vendor I purchased them from advertised them as Taiyo Yuden media and they seem reputatble enough.

Any other theories what I should do to include playback compatibility?

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby stickgirl » Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:58 pm

There are a lot of fake TY DVDs around. I only use the Premium TY DVD-R and only had one bad burn and so far I haven't had anyone who hasn't been able to play it. I buy the 8x and burn at 4x and the majority of the time I use imgburn.

I get my DVDs from supermediastore.com There is an article on how to tell if you have fake or real TY.
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yu ... _id=cjtext

With quality comes a relative expense. However, be careful with companies that advertise cheap Taiyo Yudens. Imitations of TY discs can be spotted by the packaging and the media code.

Sorry I can't offer any real suggestions on playback compatibility.

Kathy

Truelight

Not thinking they're fakes

Postby Truelight » Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:24 pm

>> I get my DVDs from supermediastore.com <<

This is where I got mine too. I'm not inclined to think they are fakes.

I'm gonna try going back to letting PSP burn the discs and do the bitsetting. Perhaps that will work better than the iso and ImgBurn route.

- Rick

Postby gpsmikey » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:42 pm

Recognize that there is no single media and/or format that will play in all
players (or works well with all burners). Some combinations seem to work
most of the time, but I have yet to see anyone find a combination that
will play in all players all the time. I have had excellent results with the T-Y
-R "Premium" media and the Pioneer burners. The only "coasters" I have
managed to create have been due to bad data, not a problem with the disk
(although I have run into a couple of players that will not handle them - but
they didn't want to play much other burned stuff either - even +R with the
booktype set.

mikey
You can't have too many gadgets or too much disk space !!
mikey (PSP6, Photoshop CS6, Vegas Pro 14, Acid 7, BluffTitler, Nikon D300s, D810)
Lots of PIC and Arduino microprocessor stuff too !!

Mike S.

Re: How to increase DVD playback compatibility ?

Postby Mike S. » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:27 pm

Truelight wrote: For those you you distributing copies of your shows on DVD to others, what tips/tricks have you that might help me here?

I've only used DVD-R for all of my clients (families, schools, sport teams) and never had even one person say that they could not play my DVDs. I see several of your posts which indicate that you are indeed having client/DVD problems.

My suggestions are:

1. Buy some TDK DVD-R discs from your local CompUSA or Circuit City store. This eliminates the possibility of counterfeit DVDs during your testing period. I say TDK DVD-R since that is what I use with a 100% client playback record. I'm not saying this is the only good DVD blank but maybe try a small pack just for testing.

2. If you're still having problems, could your DVD burner be a marginal burner? In this case, maybe research "current" burners for best burn quality and buy one of those. You could buy one locally with the option of a 100% refund if returned within x nbr of days. Don't buy via price. Buy via burn quality period.

3. Play your DVD in a player that can display the playback bit rate. What bit rate values do you see?

Mike S.

Postby czali » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:47 pm

I also use DVD-R. I think I have tried most of the brands out there but have had no problem with Verbatim. They might be a little more money but worth it for the headache. I have a pack of TDK lightscribe that I never even opened b/c I did not like the lightscribe effect. It is only a 10 pk but if someone is interested let me know.

Colleen

Postby Advantage DVD Productions » Fri May 09, 2008 9:44 am

I use AAA rated media for duplication, either Ridata or ProDisc. I recommend Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden for authoring.

My tips for increased playback compatibility:
#1: Stay away from generic media, either in the authoring or in the duplication process.
#2: Make sure that prior to recording that you do not put any finger prints on the media surface...otherwise you'll have a flawed program. Pepperoni pizza has ruined many projects...and a few diets!
#3: If you outsource the duplication be sure to always provide 2 tested discs to the duplication company.
#4: Don't ship the discs in a polystyrene case (hard plastic), the case breaks and plastic shards might scratch the disc.
#5: Prior to sending the discs to duplication be sure to watch them for functionality. Duplication companies like mine make digital clones of what we receive. It's WYSIWYG.
When it Comes to DVD & CD Duplication or Replication...Get it from Us for Less Money & Faster! Free delivery to your door.

HTML: http://www.samedaydvd.com
Become a connection: http://www.Linkedin.com/in/samedaydvd

Postby Zotz1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:57 am

I too have had this problem as some older DVD players ( 3 years or more ) will only play -R or +R . To put my
success rate up to 99% , I use only Taiyo Yuden discs .I burn to -R discs ,16x burner on 8x burn speed . Also if its a big event like a sports team dinner I supply a backup disc on +R . I do the same if its going to be a surprise gift sent thru the mail . The DVD player Companys are starting to come around and all get on the same page ,but there are always going to be those oldie but goodie players out there that Grandma and Grandpa have so its better to be safe then get the call that your show dosent play. Hope this helps :)

Zotz1

Postby texan » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 am

I always burn an "EXE" file of the show to all DVDs, and as a backup let the client know that if he has problems playing it in a DVD player, just drop it into a pc and let autorun take over........

This minimizes "call backs"!!
Texan

Return to Business Applications