sending out sample dvd shows

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

sending out sample dvd shows

Postby debra roehn » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:25 am

I was wondering if sending out sample DVD's is a good idea. I was thinking of making a demo of some shows like holidays, weddings, etc. Packaging them in simple paper holders and having put around in mailboxes in my area. I will like to focus on the upcoming holiday season coming up. I am trying to generate business and I am trying to think of some ideas. I could use some helpful ideas.

thanks in advanse

debbie

cfeather

Sample DVD

Postby cfeather » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:55 am

I have made several sampler DVDs. One has a wedding show, plus a show about my wedding photography services. I hand them out at bridal shows, to prospective wedding photography customers.

I also have a wedding show and engagement show on a DVD.

Two years and 100 or so DVDs after making my first demo DVD, I have yet to sell a wedding on DVD. Nor have I been able to sell an anniversary or memorial show on DVD.

There just does not seem to be a market for this kind of product in my dismal part of the country.

Postby czali » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:35 am

Debbie,

My thought would be to really target your intended audience. Do not send them out random. Send them along with a brochure and information packed to Wedding and Reunion Coordinators, Funeral Homes, Schools, Photographers. If they are close to you offer to pick up the photos and deliver it back to them. They can just offer it as a service to their clients. I think in some cases the best way to contact people is through email first letting them know your package is on the way.

I am yet to fully execute this plan on my end but it is my list of things. Borchure is done but I am waiting for someone (my husband) to proof it. Will let you know if everything goes well.

Goodluck,

Colleen

dnavarrojr

Postby dnavarrojr » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:17 am

I burned a bunch of Business Card CD's with an AUTORUN executable and passed those out at my local mall on one Saturday. Total cost was about $30 in CDs and ink. I ended up selling 3 shows from it, so I made a profit on the experience.

I would tend to agree with Colleen. Pick a specific target. For example, contact your local PTA or talk with your kid(s) school about shooting pictures from an event (Christmas play or something) and having them help you sell some CD's/DVD's to the other parents and sharing the revenue with the school. I think you'll find that having the school do you selling for you works much better and they also get something out of the deal. Plus, you may end up getting business from a lot of the parents outside of that project.

One thing that has worked out great for me is an "affiliate" system. Where if someone orders a project from me for a given price, I'll pay the referring affiliate a finders fee (usually $10 to $20). I drop off flyers and sample CDs at local computer stores and other locations. The flyers and discs have an affiliate code on them so that I know where the order came from. It gets other people to do your marketing for you.

Return to Business Applications