Which web host to choose?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
billharden

Which web host to choose?

Postby billharden » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:29 pm

I want to create my own website to show my slideshows (real estate stuff), and am concerned that my chosen host will not be able to accomidate PX files. What should I be looking for? Are all web hosts or servers the same? I am currently using Go Daddy for some basic visual editor style web designs but they won't support uploading slideshows.
Who are you guys using? Are there any shortcuts to doing this so I don't have to learn HTML? Any and all questions answered will be appreciated
Thanks
Bill

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:11 pm

Bill:

Welcome to the Forum!

I use Powweb for my hosting needs and find them to be pretty good, especially with the pricing. I have two accounts, with each account hosting two separate domains. They will alow uploading of PX files and with the amount of storage space they provide it shouldn't be a problem with storing a bunch of shows.

That said, I do have a technique for uploading shows to the Photodex site and still being able to view them on my own personal site. Many other members have used this technique with great success so it may be an option for you if you choose not to change hosts. It does require a small amount of tinkering with the HTML code, but the instructions should make it easy for you to handle it. You can find the link to the instructions here: Playing Your Photodex Hosted Shows From Your Own Web Site

I've done a few Real Estate shows recently and have had a lot of good responses to them, although they are very basic in nature. You can check out what I've done on my other site at Real Estate Photography Service. Click on the Slide Show Sample button for a demo.

Good luck!

Mike

billharden

Postby billharden » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:52 pm

WOW!
Now I can sleep again. This issue has been bothering me for a month. I'm actually angry with myself for not asking for help sooner. I am very gratefull for your advice. Is the px file a problem for web hosts? I have called tech support at GoDaddy and Luna and they don't seem to know anything about it.
Thanks so much Mike! I have really become addicted to making slideshows. It gives me another excuse to play in Photoshop. My next venture is to upgrade to Producer.
Thanks again.
Bill

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:02 pm

Bill:

You're welcome. :D

I do know that there are some providers that don't allow the PX extension on their servers. I can't name any offhand, but I know they're out there. At least with my instructions, there is a way around it if need be.

Good luck!

Mike

billharden

Web Host

Postby billharden » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:16 pm

Oh,
I get it. So with your method, you are not really uploading anything to the host, you are merely pointing to a file parked at Photodex. Right?

If I understand this correctly, what I think I need to do is find a web host that has a web builder or a visual editor that will allow me to add a little code so that I can show my slideshows.

Thanks again Mike, you are a great help!

Bill

Site Admin

Re: Web Host

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:32 pm

billharden wrote:Oh,
I get it. So with your method, you are not really uploading anything to the host, you are merely pointing to a file parked at Photodex. Right?

Yes, that's it. The shows are uploaded to Photodex and hosted on their server, but I prepare my own web page that resides on my server. The code on my page references the PX file hosted on Photodex's site so it appears as though it's coming from my site.

Once I created the first show page I just changed the PX file location in the code and re-saved it under a new name each time I create a new show. I just treat it like a template so there's no work involved each time creating a new one.

Mike

Postby czali » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:18 am

Bill,

I use www.web.com. The smallest package gives me 5 GB. I struggeled with this decision of whether to use frontpage and create the site on my own, pay someone and give up control, or use a builder. I basically ended up grabbing one of web.com's templates and changing the entire thing to my needs.

Though, I just sat down with a friend that happens to work for a web design company (he does sales though). He gave me some great advice and now I am probably going to be changing the site again. He actually said you should be updating your site ever 10 days. I found www.sitecube.com the other day and it really looks interesting.

Here is a link that I thought was great that talked about colors and such http://www.jessett.com/web_sites/graphics/. Good luck!

Colleen

billharden

Postby billharden » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:13 am

Hi Colleen,
Thank you, and thank everyone for their help.
I have fallen in love with making slideshows for selling real estate. I burn DVDs and print the labels with Acoustica, and hand them out at my open houses. The sellers love them, the buyers take them (I don't know what they do with them), and it gives me an excuse to play on the computer. That has been the fun part. The not so fun part is figuring out how to add them to my cheesy web sites, and to figure out how to enhance my web presence. I have several sites that I have built with the help of visual editors (Website Tonight) but I can't figure out how (if possible) to add a direct link to my slideshows).

Mike's link has given me hope. I still need all the help I can get. I will look at your suggested hosts and appreciate your assistance. Like you I am struggeling with the decision to use a big web editor, I'm strongly leaning to Dreamweaver because of it's integration with Photoshop.

I have bought domain names for my listings, and my goal is to enable buyers to log on to the addresses and see a slideshow of the property of the house with out having to jump through a lot of hoops). I have it set up now so that buyers will log onto my cheesy site, and request via email to see the shows. I then will email them an invitation to go to Photodex.
But guess what? People are not doing it! DUH!

Anyway at this point, I'm smart enough to be dangerous, I am thinking about continuing with my easy fast and nasty cheesy video editors to make the quick website (listings are usually good six months) but then add a link to a big professional website that has all the slideshows parked. I am determined to build the big website myself (at this point anyway).

Am I do this wrong? Is there an easier way?
Thanks Collen, Thanks Mike, and anyone else who can advise me.

Bill Harden

billharden

Which web host?

Postby billharden » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:47 pm

My current cheesy Website Tonight was able to upload java script. Thanks to Mike's formula to Photodex, I'm in business. Works Great! Thanks a million Mike.
Bill :D

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Sat Jun 30, 2007 7:26 am

Bill:

I'm glad you got it working. Any chance of seeing one of your real estate shows? I'd like to see what others are doing in that area.

Thanks!

Mike

billharden

Real estate shows

Postby billharden » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:07 am

Hi Mike,
The site you just helped me get up and running is http://www.10614balcom.com made with Website Tonight.
This is very crude by the standards of this forum, but you asked for it. BTW the house was full of junk, and I had to photoshop remove piles of clothes, and boxes of who knows what. One room was stacked to the windows with crap-o-la (can I say that here?). One room looks like a prison cell so I flipped it a few times to distract the viewer. Same with the kitchen, I added cheesy FX to distract boring 70's lay out.

The biggest value for the viewer, from a marketing stand point is getting to see the house at all. It's almost impossible to get an appointment to preview the home, so the slideshow is necessary to get through the front door.
You can see the other shows if you go to my member name Bill Harden at Photodex (does it work that way?). Or to be sure, I will email you an invitation.

All will be up shortly at my new under construction site www.SlideShowRealtor.com and all thanks very much to you and this great forum for the help.

Bill Harden

billharden

show jumping out of box

Postby billharden » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:33 am

Can anyone tell me how to fix the slideshow from jumping out of the control box when the show opens? The show opens at the bottom of the screen, and when I scroll down to move the show up, it jumps out of the control box (please correct my terminology too). My example is the slideshow at www.10614balcom.com. If this is the wrong place to post this question please advise.
Thanks
Bill

YourMemoriesInDigital

Postby YourMemoriesInDigital » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:26 am

I run a hosting co in addition to doing slideshows. If you are interested in checking it out the link is http://www.mcnultyhosting.com Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

dnavarrojr

Postby dnavarrojr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:37 pm

I recently moved all of my domains from DirectNIC to Godaddy and decided to try hosting of one of my newer sites there at 6.99 a month for 1 gig of space and I'm pretty happy with it. I do programming in Active Server Pages and so far I haven't found a cheaper AND reliable Windows web host.

--Dave

billharden

Web Host

Postby billharden » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:38 pm

Thanks Dave,
You are right. GoDaddy turned out to be just what I needed, and what an amazing tech support 24/7. They really work hard to keep your business.
Thanks again
Bill Harden :lol:

Next

Return to Business Applications