Which web host to choose?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
dnavarrojr

Re: Web Host

Postby dnavarrojr » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:32 pm

billharden wrote:Thanks Dave,
You are right. GoDaddy turned out to be just what I needed, and what an amazing tech support 24/7. They really work hard to keep your business.
Thanks again
Bill Harden :lol:

I am planning on moving most of my sites over to GoDaddy next month. However, a few of them can''t be moved because GoDaddy doesn't support some programming features I need for some of my client's site. Still, for the price, support and ability to remote manage just about everything, it's a great deal.

I would caution anyone who isn't a web developer... Many web hosts include free stuff like forum software, blog software, etc. GoDaddy does not. Since they're base fee is so low, they charge extra for those features if you want them to set it up for you. If you want those features and you know how to set them up yourself (like I do :) ), then you can just do it yourself for free.

--Dave

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:40 pm

Bill:

I noticed that the shows you have uploaded to Photodex are playing fine from within the Sharing section of the site. Have you been able to get our shows up and running on your site?

Mike

zookeeper

Looking for web host

Postby zookeeper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:17 pm

I am looking for a web host. I know nothing about setting this up on my own, so I need one that has the templates and assists me. I am considering Hostgator or Yahoo. I researched GoDaddy, the one recommended from these old posts, and it has over 300 complaints on the BBB site. I was wondering if anyone would care to comment with suggestions.

zookeeper

Additional note

Postby zookeeper » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:27 pm

To add to my last post - I am also looking into powweb.com. The price looks good. It doesn't show samples of templates though, which is what caught my attention on hostgator. I liked their samples they showed. Thank you for any assistance!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi zookeeper,
I am glad you brought this topic back up. I will be needing to get a Website up in a few weeks myself and know nothing about doing so. I had researched some late last year but decided to hold off. I think I am about ready now. Yippee!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Postby nannybear » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:43 am

I have been using YAHoo for over a year now and have had no problems. I don't do alot thought, just a place on my business card for people to go....
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:08 am

Hi Jan,
Thanks for the feedback. I will look into Yahoo to see if that will fit my needs. Is their set-up newbie friendly? Or is there a Website you suggest for additional info before taking the plunge?

Hugs,
Stephanie

Postby sheldonk » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:35 am

I've been using POWWEB like Mike. For $8.77 a month you get 1500 gigabytes of storage! You can download 15000 gigabytes a month!!!

I found a program called handy backup. It allows me to schedule backup of my computers through ftp so I also use my powweb account as a place to backup my stuff. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

You can also have unlimited domains. They cost $15 per year.

Introductory rate is $5.77 a month for two years.

Sheldon

Postby nannybear » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:53 am

Totally newbie friendly Steph. I have not used Pow Web but I like the file backup idea. I need to pay more attention to my Web Site!! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:08 pm

Thanks Jan and Sheldon! You both have been very helpful. I'll do some research later this evening after I tuck my little one in bed.

Hugs,
Stephanie

zookeeper

Postby zookeeper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:52 pm

I thank you also, SHeldon & Jan, for the information. I'm like Jan, just want a presence on the web so people can get more information if needed.
Sheldon, is powweb easy to set up? Do they have much to pick from for layouts and can you adjust them at all?

Stephanie, Good luck with yours!

Site Admin

Postby MG - Admin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:21 pm

I need to update my response to this thread from the one I originally made back in June. Unfortunately, it does conflict with what I wrote back then.

Regarding Powweb: If you were around toward the end of this past year you will remember that this forum began having some serious issues with downtime and accessibility. My other sites hosted at Powweb were having the same issues. The problem is that Powweb has done a great job of marketing themselves to folks looking for cheap hosting plans. The result is servers that are overloaded and pushed to the limit. Tech support was a frustrating experience to deal with when tickets were submitted requesting help with slow load times, sporadic server outages, etc. The responses always came back that there was something wrong on my end, not theirs. If you are to take a look at the message boards on their site you will see that the problems are widespread and complaints about their customer service and tech support are commonplace.

That said, if you only want a static page online for a web presence, they offer a great deal. You just have to expect that your site may go down at times, and that it may load slowly from time to time. I think it all depends on what you want to do with your site. If you expect a lot of traffic, or wish to make it more dynamic, there are other hosts out there that you might want to consider.

Currently I'm using a company called HostIcan for my hosting needs. I have some basic "shared hosting" accounts that are performing quite well. I don't remember exactly how much I paid, but it's comparable to Powweb. This forum is hosted by HostIcan using one of their dedicated server plans. It is quite expensive, but the forum requires this type of plan. I could get by with something less expensive, but I risk having it affect performance and reliability.

Before purchasing any hosting plans, decide what you want to do and ask the hosting company if you will have any problems doing what you want to. You want to make sure you're going to have the tools and performance that you need for your visitors. Nothing drives business away more than if your site is letting you down.

Just a few things to think about.

Mike

zookeeper

Postby zookeeper » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:37 pm

Thank you Mike. That is helpful info, I didn't check forums, only Better Business Bureau which has satisfactory rating. Only 23 complaints in 3 years. Even though I don't plan to do too much from the site, I do want people to be able to access it when they first attempt. And I don't want any added stress. :!:

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby seektheburd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Hi Mike,

I am so glad you jump in here with some feedback. Very good info. Yes, I do want more than a presense but I also know as a newbie I got to stick with the basics. :D Thanks again Mike!

Hugs,
Stephanie

Postby sheldonk » Sun May 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Thanks Mike,

As you say, I've had to problem running a few static websites with Powweb. From what I read however, once you start taxing their system, things go downhill fast. I also just read the users agreement. Backing stuff up from your PC just for backup purposes violates the user agreement! Only content that is for your website is allowed on their server.

I knew deep down this had to be too good to be true. I will probably still use it for backup of the my documents folder on my wife and kids machines. This takes up less than a 100 megabytes backup, I have the machines schedule to synchronize to the server every night. Only new or miodified files are uploaded. Powweb does not guarantee that your files will always be there! If they have a crash and loss your files...too bad!

For $5.77 a month you can't expect much. So far, I have gotten my moneys worth since I have had no problems.

Sheldon

Previous

Return to Business Applications