pricing for onsite wedding creation

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
kjohnsenwi

pricing for onsite wedding creation

Postby kjohnsenwi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:18 am

I've been asked by a professional photographer to price up coming with him to a wedding site and creating a highlights video to be shown at the reception. I haven't done this before and am hoping some of you can help me with how to price this service and any advice you have for how to do this (what size show works best, what to do in advance to prepare, etc.). I appreciate any thoughts...particularly on the pricing but really on all aspects.

Thanks!
Kelly

angioman63

Postby angioman63 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:09 am

Kelly,
I do this as a service, but I am not cheep. The last wedding I did worked out to about 750.
1. I do the pre wedding i.e them growing up, them together.
2. shooting images at the rehearsal
3. shooting the wedding
and putting it all together and running it at the reception on my projector and Laptop. (free meal out of that one)
I run the show as an exe, because it is more stable and quicker to render. There might be something wrong so I can trouble shoot it on the spot.

Don't sell your self short, I think after it was all said and done I should of charged a grand.

kjohnsenwi

photographer vs producer

Postby kjohnsenwi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:17 pm

Ok...now, I wouldn't be taking the photos...just doing the production. So, if you were charging the grand, what portion would be fair for the "production" portion of that? Also, did you give them a DVD copy of that video at a later time?

Thanks for the input and quick response!

Kelly

Re: photographer vs producer

Postby Yanis » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:49 pm

kjohnsenwi wrote:Ok...now, I wouldn't be taking the photos...just doing the production. So, if you were charging the grand, what portion would be fair for the "production" portion of that? Also, did you give them a DVD copy of that video at a later time?

Thanks for the input and quick response!

Kelly

Because of the rush nature of the job, I would not charge lower than $500 dollars. Just my 2 cents.

Good Luck!

Peace,
Yanis :D

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Kelly,

A few questions you might want to consider.... does the photographer have a "style"? Do they shoot mainly landscape or portrait (you know there will always be exceptions)... How do the typical photos look right out of the camera? (you might have to crop, adjust, etc quickly)... Can they provide you a sample of the files right out of the camera before the event (so you can ensure you know exactly what you must do to get them in the show)... How are they going to get the photos to you? Memory card, WiFi?. How often are they going to "dump" the photos to you? Or do they give you all at once then you scramble? Also is there a place to work uninterrupted (be careful about folks looking over your shoulder -- that can really slow you down)...

Ok lots of question but the details are very very important to work out up front since this is going to be such a quick turn around and EVERYONE gets to see anything that goes wrong....

If you can work out the logisitics of style, portrait, landscape, etc... you might be able to put a simple template together to help quicken the pace..... (again since this is your first time I wonder if they could give you a complete set of files from another wedding to do a "test" run to work out your workflow...).... that will help you see what kind of work the photog does and prepare (at least mentally) for their style.

Anyway, I've done a few of this event turnaround shows... (bring double equipment if you can -- borrow if need be -- and test everything long before the day of the event).... My fees are by the hour. I ask for a four hour minimum (two of which are pre-work before the event -- not travel -- but show prep time).... for the other two hours they can give me up to 30 - 40 pictures and I will give them a show of approximately 4 - 6 minutes (I would highly suggest instrumental music as it is easier to match pics to the flow of instrumentals -- lyrics can "conflict" with the images that are being shown).... Keep tranisistion simply and also don't try to do many fancy layer movements...you can create a couple in template form for a bit of a "wow"... at most pull two pics up at once... this isn't going to be a time to be overly creative. Don't include any video if you can help it (even canned transistions)... you'd be surprised how it increases rendering time (and time is limited)....

Ok... for a wedding I'd charge $75 per hour (plus extra for travel if it is outside of my local area -- typically 25 miles). That does not include equipment rental (screen / projector, etc... -- I do bring computer system and will burn one DVD of the show to be delivered after the event). If I have to "pre-test" any of the location equipment like projectors, etc... add an hour ...

I looked back at the few jobs I did and all were over 6 hours (only one was a wedding event)....

Good luck and let us know how you do!!!

Take care,

kjohnsenwi

Thank you!

Postby kjohnsenwi » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:58 pm

Thank you all for the responses and particularly to Bob for all the details and great insight into this project!

Bob, I wonder if you'd be willing to share the show that you did for the wedding so I can get an idea of how much you were able to accomplish in the two hours.? I'd really appreciate it! I will be able to get samples of the photographers work in advance and have worked with him before so I should be able to feel comfortable with his style in advance...just need to also get comfortable with my own capabilities under such a time crunch!

Thanks again, and in advance!
Kelly

Return to Business Applications