need suggestions for a very large show

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Esteemed Member

need suggestions for a very large show

Postby toad » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:03 pm

I have offered my services to my daughter's fastpitch softball organization, which consists of approximately 8 teams. There will be 600 -700 pictures. Typically, the founder of the organization makes the show every year so it doesn't cost the organization anything. I charge $60 set up fee and $1.00 per photo. At $760, she will get sticker shock. :shock: I could put something simple together but it isn't my style and it wouldn't represent how I normally create my videos. Any suggestions on where to start with a project this big and if there are any ideas on making it more creative than 700 pictures to music? Would you offer any discounts???

Thanks in advance

Toad

Postby KellyInAz » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Wow, that's huge. I would do a fast paced show with more than one picture up at a time for sure. As far as pricing, maybe you could lower the price and hope to make more money on extra copies? Typcially with something like this, many people will want a copy. The largest show I've done has been a little over 400 pictures and it was 40 minutes long!! The customer loved it, but I thought it was way too long. Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Kelly

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:25 am

Toad,

If you "discount" show them the full price and show the discount as a contribution (it may give you a tax advantage later)...

Have you seen the shows they have done in previous years?

I assume these are pics of the games... so a natural order would be chronological... One of the ways I would approach a show with that many pics is to dump them all into a sequential show.... drop some appropriate music... set the timing to 3 - 4 secs a pic with simple transistion... sit back with a pad of paper and watch it... take notes on what triggers in your head as you see the pics... I make a note of pics that might look good together, sub-themes (like maybe all 1st basemans, pitchers, etc)..., keep an eye out for thoughts on sound effects (crack of a bat, crowd cheers, etc)..., quality of pic (some just don't look good zoomed, or are not exposed well so you may need Photoshop help)... well you get the picture (ohhh bad pun)...

Good luck and keep us posted....

Large show for school

Postby jeanc » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:00 am

Hi Toad,

Don't know if this will help, but below you will find the link to an end of year show I did last month. It is just under 16min, has 301 slides and 8 audio tracks. There are approximately 1,000 photos. Long I know for someone not associated with this particular group, but maybe it will help you come up with something.

I did photo collages mostly in Adobe with as many as 5 photos to a slide. There are also layered photos with frames. My daughter took most of the photos and did some of the collages. This is her way of volunteering at the school. She requested a lot of the movement in the slides which was not a personal preference of mine.

The teachers originally wanted this in a 12 min. show. I told them with all the photos they wanted this would be impossible as it would rush the show. As it ended up I still see "rush" in many places BUT they LOVED the show and I am doing it again for them next year.

This was done as a fund raiser for the 4th grade also. I charged $20.00 and the class got $4.00. I did not charge a setup fee. Out of 90 students 80 bought DVDs.

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 3270&alb=0

Good luck and I hope you post your show when you are done!!

Hope this gives you something to work with.

Smiles,
Jean
Last edited by jeanc on Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Esteemed Member

Postby toad » Sat Jun 23, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks for the quick responses and the good suggestions. My husband thinks I have done enough freebies and discounted shows, however I see it as an opportunity for copy sales and more potential business. It does feel like it could be an overwhelming task.

I have not seen any of the previous shows and I am not sure what program she has done it in. We are new to the program this year.

Jean - first of all, what a great school that seems to be and a great video. How long did it take you to make it? When you say you charged $20 was that for the creation or the copies? and then gave them back $4 per copy?

Another question I have is, would you make 8 seperate videos (1 per team) except for the presentation and have each video on 1 DVD looping them all together? This way they could purchase their own team video.

Any thoughts?

Postby jeanc » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:00 pm

[quote="toad"]"Thanks for the quick responses and the good suggestions. My husband thinks I have done enough frebies and discounted shows, however I see it as an opportunity for copy sales and more potential business. It does feel like it could be an overwhelming task. "

This has been hard for me too .... BUT as someone on this forum said "you will end up getting burned out". Check others prices on this forum and find what you think will work for you.

"I have not seen any of the previous shows and I am not sure what program she has done it in. We are new to the program this year.

This was my first BIG show as far as size and the number sold goes. I was really nervous and afraid I could not pull it off. The last week was a killer because they wanted end of year photos in the show which meant I had to burn all 80 in just a few days. I prayed nothing would break down on me!

"Jean - first of all, what a great school that seems to be and a great video. How long did it take you to make it? When you say you charged $20 was that for the creation or the copies? and then gave them back $4 per copy? "

Thanks for watching and the compliment! How long ?????? Humm ....... I did not actually keep tabs on exact time ........ BUT I know I did not make all that much per hour on this one. Being a perfectionist does not help me either. I did start getting photos from the teachers and my daughter back in February and began to build the show and search for music at that time. There were 2 end of year special events. Play Day which I made a separate show of and inserted it into my main show towards the end. This small show we used as a Preview for the parents. (http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 7481&alb=0) This really brought in the orders. When the photos from the last field trip came in I wrapped up the show which didn't take all that long. One of the most time consuming was finding the right songs. I have the BackTraxx 2 and I think I listened to just about all the songs on the 30+ Cds. Hope I get better at this but I did not even think of using anything but Royalty Free. To answer your question - it took me many many hours and I plan to keep better tabs on the time in the future. Wish I could give you specifics but I can't. I charged $20.00 per DVD. The school collected the money (all cash I might add) and kept $4.00 per DVD.

"Another question I have is, would you make 8 seperate videos (1 per team) except for the presentation and have each video on 1 DVD looping them all together? This way they could purchase their own team video."

This question came up for me also ........ there were 5 classes. What I did was intermingle the classes so the kids wouldn't get bored when they figured out they weren't going to see themselves in the show anymore. The kids all know one another and played together and had a few classes together so this worked out for me. Sales were great this way here. Maybe someone else has suggestions on this ..............

Hope this answers some of your questions and hope I didn't ramble too much.

Smiles,
Jean

cfeather

Suggestion

Postby cfeather » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:12 am

Perhaps, as an incentive for the organization to push the DVDs, you could offer them a discount on your fee based upon the percentage of DVDs sold. For example, 50 percent penetration, 20 percent discount, up to a 50 percent discount on 90 percent penetration.

Frankly, I'd be thrilled to get the opportunity to just have an income-producing job with Producer. Thus far, we've not been able to get anyone interested. Frustrating

cfeather

Suggestion

Postby cfeather » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:19 am

Perhaps, as an incentive for the organization to push the DVDs, you could offer them a discount on your fee based upon the percentage of DVDs sold. For example, 50 percent penetration, 20 percent discount, up to a 50 percent discount on 90 percent penetration.

Frankly, I'd be thrilled to get the opportunity to just have an income-producing job with Producer. Thus far, we've not been able to get anyone interested. Frustrating

Esteemed Member

Postby toad » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:39 am

I agree with pushing copies. We all know that showing people what we do is a big selling point. Having the opportunity to show it to a large crowd, to me, is the best kind of marketing. I will let you know what happens.

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions.

P.

Return to Business Applications