Format for business website?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Cindy

Format for business website?

Postby Cindy » Sun May 20, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi Everyone-

I just finished a HUGE show for a state-wide non-profit organization. They want to show it on their website and I wondered how to describe to them the different options that I can offer. I know there are several opinions on the best way to view shows on the web, but I think if I offer them all to their web designer he can decide. I would like to just give him a copy and let him roll with it.

So... my question is this: what are all of the options?

I would appreciate any help that you could give me.
Have a great day!
Cindy

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Mon May 21, 2007 2:06 pm

Cindy,
Options:
Photodex Show for Web - Would require web users to download photodex plugin
Video (MPG) - Webdesigner would have to stream on their end
DVD - Give the webdesigner the DVD and let them rip and stream from original
Flash - Webdesigner could use this very easy (Compatible with most web browsers already)

Hope that helps...

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon May 21, 2007 3:33 pm

Cindy,

You probably should talk to the "webmaster" to determine the type of website/hosting they have.... if they are able to "stream" video one of the higher quality formats could work.... however if they are a download and play site (which is probably typical especial for non-profits) you have to take into consideration how long one may have to "sit" and wait for the file to arrive... Each variation has trade-offs... I personally like the Photodex plug-in (but realize some folks may not want to install this either because they have limited techincal knowledge or are uncertain about the risk)....

As you discuss this with your client remember anything you recommend you may then be asked to provide.... may or may not be a problem for you but it does put you in the position of potentially having to get additional tools to generate the format...

I know this might not have answered your question directly but hope it helps somewhat...

Take care,

HUGE show for a state-wide non-profit

Postby Kabache » Tue May 22, 2007 4:01 pm

I just finished a HUGE show for a state-wide non-profit organization.

Hi Cindy

I work for a large State-wide Non-Profit in NYS. I have been asked to explore creating a presentation celebrating some of employees 30 years of service. Can you tell me a little bit about your project? What was the theme? What elements did you use? How long was it? Etc.

Thanks

Paul

videogal

Video Format for Website

Postby videogal » Wed May 23, 2007 2:47 am

I just attended a community ed class last night on web design. It was held at our high school's computer lab room.

When I went to my website to access my videos (posted with a hidden link to Photodex) the download was locked by
the computer's protection or the daytime teacher. I couldn't even "allow" it if I wanted to.

Does anyone post a selection of video formats on their site for the customer to choose? In case they don't want to
do the Photodex type? What would be the pros and cons of that?

~videogal

skiyak

Re: Video Format for Website

Postby skiyak » Wed May 23, 2007 8:23 am

videogal wrote:I just attended a community ed class last night on web design. It was held at our high school's computer lab room.

When I went to my website to access my videos (posted with a hidden link to Photodex) the download was locked by
the computer's protection or the daytime teacher. I couldn't even "allow" it if I wanted to.

Does anyone post a selection of video formats on their site for the customer to choose? In case they don't want to
do the Photodex type? What would be the pros and cons of that?

~videogal

------------
As above what Shoebox says.

If I were to put on a website, I'd probably have two options, one that would play in Windows Media Player and maybe in QuickTime. Flash is another option, but would put the other formats ahead of this re quality and something users may have to download. A lot of companies do lock down machines so nothing can be downloaded and either/or Windows Media Player or Quick Time is usually standard so no need to install.

I would keep the output very small (make a note on your site that it should be viewed small, not full screen, for faster uploads, and it's only for demonstration purposes ). Use say 480 x 360 or smaller. If you're using Proshow to output, I still keep the quality at high but you might get away with medium. You'd have to experiment in what you'd think would be acceptable. Having these settings will keep the files smaller and download quickly. It is especially important if you have a lot of video files. If you know someone that has dial up, it's a good way test to see how fast they can load.

Also, if you can "chunk" things up in smaller pieces. If this is a demo for your services, divide your videos up such as "Openings", "Closings", "Transitions" or by events such as "Weddings", "Birthdays", "Memorials", etc. (If you keep these separate, the files will take a lot less time to upload. If they're small, you may be able to output at a higher resolution). Someone visiting your site may not be interested in Memorials or Weddings but maybe just interested in what you can produce in a birthday show which could incorporate the openings, transitions and closings under Birthday .

The other thing to consider is how much space you're allowed on your website, whether or not you'll have to upgrade to add more MB.

Here's a site you might want to take a look at regarding usability. Jacob Nielson is kind of a guru of print design, technical writing and has gone on to web usability. There is a difference between print and web but many of the same principles apply.

The site itself looks awful and he admits it but it's just a place for information. He's written many books. A lot of the info is transferrable in how you set up your slideshows (e.g. what kinds of fonts, standardization, etc.).

http://www.useit.com/

Hope this helps.

videogal

Postby videogal » Wed May 23, 2007 10:57 am

Skiyak,

Thanks for all the great information and link. These are things I can do. And I like the idea of doing chunks, endings, beginnings, etc.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Sat May 26, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks everyone.
After a couple of edits, the show is done - WOOHOO!

Paul- the show is a history of the organization over the past 30 years.
They gave me 200+ photos, about 30 quotes and lots of facts and said "go for it".

I was a little paniced at first, but finally divided the show into sections:
Background (including mission statement and facts) Then and Now; Inspirations; Supporters; Participants

I then divided the pics and quotes up into these categories and included several
inspirational words to go along with each section.
It was a real challenge to include all this and keep it short enough.

It will be shown next weekend at the yearly event at several different venues.
There will be over 3,000 participants and around 20,000 attendees.

I am "giving" the show to the organization to use for marketing and PR purposes
(I know, I know, many of you think this is a no-no)
and selling it outright myself - with a 20% donation to the organization.
I am also offering custom shows - the above described show + an intro chapter using
10 of their own photos with a personal message, names, dates, etc.

Keep your fingers crossed for me. I will let you know how it goes in a week or so.

videogal

Postby videogal » Sun May 27, 2007 2:42 pm

That's an interesting idea for non-profit service. Give them your production time and the video they use for the presentation.
Then collect on the copies they sell.

I usually let them make the copies and they sell them at a low price or they give them away at their cost. I like that you can sell
the copies and make money for yourself there.

I do a lot of work for my church.

Return to Business Applications