How do I increase sales?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

How do I increase sales?

Postby Timeless » Fri May 11, 2007 7:04 am

I started a slideshow business a few months ago. I'm looking for ideas on how to "jump start" sales. I understand most of the sales will be local and from "word of mouth" and in time my sales will grow, but I'm anxious to generate steady work (4-7 shows a month). It order to get "word of mouth" started you need to get your product seen.

After reading the various posts, I fully understand much of the business will be "word of mouth" but it's like the chicken and the egg. In other to get "word of mouth" sales you need to get your product out there ... not only to our circle of family and friends ... but a wider audience.

After a business name, addressing the legal issues and business set-up issues I developed a website and created my "portfolio" (sample shows ... retirement, wedding, graduation, etc).

Once I had the "show and tell" projects done I "flipped the switch" ... sell the presentations. In 4 months I've had seven sales. Three from family and friends. The other four were generated from a bridal show I participated in (two who attended the show; two others who saw these shows).

I created a website which I realize is more or less for "show and tell" vs. sales. Several hits ... no sales.

What can I do to "kick start" my business? What can I do to increase sales? I wouldn't mind advertising in the newspaper, radio, etc. but I don't want to throw my hard earned money away. VidQueen spoke of TV ads but they weren't cost effective. She said radio ads were more effective but I don't know my target audience (I assume it's female, 30s and 40s, with a disposable income ... Is that correct?)

I plan on visiting those folks who could use my services such as photographers, funeral homes, etc. I have sample DVDs, business cards, tri-folds, etc. I'll make a good sales pitch. Is this effective? It looks like many photographers and funeral homes already provide this service. Is that correct?

There must be "tried and true" ideas to increase sales. Any ideas? Again, not afraid to spend money but I don't want to pi-- it away. I PM'd a couple people on this issue but it was suggested I post the subject publicly. Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

dnavarrojr

Postby dnavarrojr » Sat May 12, 2007 3:11 am

Sadly, the primary key is advertising. It's all a percentage game. The more people you get your product in front of, the higher your sales.

But there are inexpensive ways to advertise. Personally I favor things like direct mail (postcards to drive people to my web site), and annoying people at the mall by handing out flyers.

Put up an eBay auction to do one slideshow for 25% or more off and include a link to your web site. I'm doing that with my 3D real estate signs and it drives a lot of traffic to my site.

We're coming in to summer, so get a booth at the county fair, set up a TV and a DVD player and show off your work. Personally I'd show off fall/winter related shows and advertise as taking advanced orders. Get people thinking about buying your service now as a XMAS gift.

Speaking of which, one thing I wanted to do and didn't get a chance was to offer gift certificates. Someone might see your work, like it and figure they just don't have many photos to put something together for themselves, but they might be inclined to purchase a gift certificate to give a show to a friend or family member. (Grandma could buy a gift certificate for her son/daughter as a hint to send more photos/videos of the grandkids.)

I saw something rather interesting at a friends karate tournemount. A photographer was running around taking photos of various matches. The next day his assistant had a little booth where they were showing off a video slideshow made from the photos and were taking orders. The final video would be produced a few days after the tournemount was over and mailed out to those who ordered it (you could also order stills). These were not custom videos, they were making just one video and selling that to anyone who wanted it. I talked to the assistant at the end of the last day and he said they sold about 25 videos at $30 each and had orders for about 50 stills packages for $25 to $75 each.

Finally... I gathered up a bunch of photos from a number of sources and I'm working on a video yearbook of my stepdaughter's school year. I did a "quick draft" and showed it off to the school who has agreed to offer them to parents and we'll share the revenue. It's a good fundraiser for them. Schools are always looking for ways to generate revenue and if you're willing to share with them, they'll do all the sales work for you. You just have to provide a good product.

Postby mr08sports » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:59 pm

If you can get in with a good photographer, it would help. I have one photographer that I work with now and it is generating some good business. Once the customer sees your stuff from the photographer that "word of mouth" idea starts to take off. Get out to as many craft shows and you can. Even if people just take a business card, it's something.

Good luck!

Dave
Owner
Our Memories in Motion
Where Your Memories Come To Life!
www.memorable.com

Honorary ProShow PHD

Postby Tarafrost » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:35 am

It would seem to be a marketing problem (advertising being just one facet of marketing your self/products/services).

In which case, you need to figure out how to create a Purple Cow. This book might help stimulate some ideas:

http://tinyurl.com/26fehs

Enjoy!
....Andrzej (aka: the curmudgeon)

Tarafrost Photography: Specializing in Wild-Life
http://www.tarafrost.com

c2-photo

Postby c2-photo » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:02 pm

The first questions would be, "is this your primary source of income or a sideline?" If this is your primary source, or want it to be your primary source then it is worth investing time and money.

I'll give you my 2 cents worth. First off I have been in outside sales for the last decade and have found a few industry to industry sales strategies that have proven results.

1. Do you have a contact manager (ACT, Goldmine, etc.)? If you don't have one, GET ONE. Referrals have always been the lifeblood of my business. Referral business is typically much more profitable than ad calls.
2. When you are starting out, put everyone that you think could give you a referral in your database. You need people to know what you do & how you can help them or their friends.
3. Mail out to your database on a regular basis. I mail twice a month to about 1200 people. I send a newsletter at the beginning of the month & a postcard halfway through the month.
4. Create a newsletter. Mine is pretty simple. I even pull all of the content out of those bathroom reading books (odd trivia, etc). IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY PROFESSION. I used to send a 4 color industry specific letter. I spent a lot of money and had OK results. I switched to the homegrown cheap looking letter and got tremendous results! I have found by surveying past clients, that this newsletter had tremendous shelf life. I even have people call me to get on my mailing list. The purpose is just to get my name and face in front of them. I have a 3x8 section that reminds them of what I do.
5. Create a secondary mailing. I do a postcard that offers them something (free ice cream, chocolate truffle, pumpkin, etc.) and I only have to pay for what my clients redeem.
6. Build your industry partner relationships. Photographers are going to be your best source of income. You need to cultivate relationships with these people. Start by figuring out who the top event photographers in your area are. Then figure out who does not offer this service, or does not do it well. That’s your target group.

I have a pretty simple selling plan. First get an appointment. I keep all initial sales calls to under 15 minutes. As a matter of fact I promise them when I set the appointment that It will only take 15 minutes. The first sales call is more a recon exercise. I have a structured interview I do with people. It’s all about asking questions rather then selling. You never “sellâ€

Esteemed Member

Postby flyrobynfly » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:32 pm

Hi, I'm new and been reading all sorts of posts. This place is fantastic. I have to save I love your business tips c2-Photo and dnavarrojr , its' 2:30am here and you both inspired me so much. I've already got the postcards to the printer though 1200 is out of my league for now, I'm starting with 500. Anyways all the ideas I've seen so far are great and I'm really glad I joined this site.

Return to Business Applications