Max Shows on DVD

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
shoebox

Max Shows on DVD

Postby shoebox » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Has anyone maxed out the DVD? Most of my shows are roughly 3 songs which equal 3 shows. With my new project I'll have about 30 shows about 1-2min a piece

Thanks

Postby nannybear » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:26 pm

The DVD's hold 2 hours worth of "movie" so at roughly 60 minutes you should be ok. I am at work but I believe there is a "line" you can gauge how much of the disk is being used, but I can't check right now. Also, if you are stuck for space don't put "show material" on it as well. Just the show....let me know how you make out! Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby debngar » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:06 pm

If you look on a regular single DVD, it holds 4.7Gb. I think all this depends on how large your images are and how many you have, how long the show is etc will depend on how much you can put on a DVD. Also it will depend on if you render and burn at high quality or lower quality. I'm not familiar with the new dual layer DVDs and their capacities.

The bar across the bottom of the preview screen/window will tell you generally how much room it will take up on a DVD as long as you have the correct media selected.

Debbie G.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:29 pm

Dual layer DVD's hold roughly 9 gigabytes of information. Like Debbie mentions, your milage will vary depending on the quality settings you use and the number and size of your images. The higher the quality the higher the bitrate/lower compression the more space you use. With a lower bitrate/higher compression (lower quality settings) you can put more on a DVD but it is at the expense of video quality depending on the source. .

Ben

videogal

Dual Layer DVDs

Postby videogal » Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:10 am

Has anyone used the dual layer DVDs for a variety of clients? Do they experience any problems playing them?

We've had enough problems with people being able to playing the regular DVDs that I didn't want to use dual layer
for a large diverse distribution to a variety of manufactures of DVD players, yet.

~Videogal

cfeather

Maxing out

Postby cfeather » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:06 am

When I did our three-DVD set, we started maxing out around 52 minutes (there is a certain amount of headroom that has to be allowed for). It's best to go to a second DVD than to get into dual layer or crunching the video bitrate to get more material on a DVD.

videogal

Postby videogal » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:52 am

Feathermm,

Was that 52 minutes on a Dual Layer or single? Was that a Proshow burn? I can get just under an hour of Premiere video burn on a single layer DVD. I agree with not wanting to compress it to make it fit. Quality is everything.

~videogal

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:57 am

Thanks for all the replies. I know pretty much the capacity and dual layers. My question was if anyone as done this with PSP yet? As far as raw actual "show" time it will be well within the scope of 60 minutes, estimated about 40 - 45 mins. My question I guess was with the # of shows?

I know when I usually produce a show with 3 songs it is around 600 to 700mb, which to me would indicate that I could only get about 9 shows based on the photos and what we do!

Anyone ran into the same issues ?

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby hardsoftware » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:04 pm

I've done as many as 6 shows on one dvd and still had room for more and used highest quality. It just depends on the length of each show.. Some will be 3 and 4 minutes in length depending on the song. Some will be longer if it is a classical piece of music but still only count as one show. For instance the six shows I put on a DVD all had very different lengths. One ran 13 minutes by itself, while most of the othes were around 3 minutes each. Barly used half the DVD space. This of course is assuming that you have NO video within your shows, only slides.

I might add that I am speaking of a single layer DVD. I have never tried the dual layer disks.

Ben
Last edited by hardsoftware on Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

cfeather

Dual layer

Postby cfeather » Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:01 am

I did the 52 minutes of shows on a single layer. I have never tried burning dual layer. The discs are much more expensive and it just makes much more sense to go with another single layer disc and split the content. I don't need one more compatibility issue to deal with.

Return to Business Applications