Light at the end of the tunnel?

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Light at the end of the tunnel?

Postby Yanis » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:22 am

Greeting to all,

This article caught my attention.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17902329/

This may affect our respective DVD slideshow business.

Peace,
Yanis :D

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Apr 02, 2007 1:51 pm

Well it will mean that we'll have the ability to use iTunes downloaded tracks more easily. That's a change and a big one for private, personal use. But unless they change terms of the license you're buying, it won't affect the legality of using them for anything except personal, not for sale, not for public performance shows.

IMHO the biggest issue is the need for a reform in the royalties side of things that matches up with the realities of digital media in general. Of course, that would hurt the business model of folks like DigitalJuice but its a big piece of what's needed to make the multimedia reuse issue for music tracks manageable.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:34 am

DickK wrote:IMHO the biggest issue is the need for a reform in the royalties side of things that matches up with the realities of digital media in general.

I agree. I've been working with sync and master-use licenses from companies such as Sony, Curb and Lyric Stree Records(Walt Disney).

One comment I received was that "I can't go to the artist with anything less than $500.00"...
Our entire shows cost less than that??

We seriously need a royalties overhaul!

Return to Business Applications