Professional Photographers

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Postby newtcruiser » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:24 am

Hi every one:

It's a beautiful day here in BC the sun is shining and all the snow is gone. Thank God!

Now that the weather report is finished with I have a question.

Todate most of the shows I have created have been from photos I have scanned and it has worked very well. I have recently put an ad in a local Wedding Guide Magazine. This is the first time I have done any advertising. My question is has anyone here done a show using professional wedding photos? I don't really know how wedding photographers work these days. Is digital photography a norm? If so is there any chance a photographer would relinquish his work in a digital format? Doubt it!!!! Is the only alernative scanning from the final prints? Has anyone dealt with this?

Any info you could provide me with would be much appreciated. I love this forum, spend half my day lurking (when I am supposed to be working) and am learning so much.

Linda

Postby nannybear » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:25 pm

Most pros have a stamp that prohibits their photos from being reproduced. One thought that has been put out there is to put a demo together and visit the pro shops and offer to collaborate with them. They take the pictures but offer your services as well. They shouldn't have a problem giving you a digital disc if it's a service that they don't offer. Just a thought..Cheers Jan

PS I lurk when I should be working too..... :lol:
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Postby newtcruiser » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:46 pm

Hi Jan

Thanks for your reply. I intend to approach some of my local photographers when I officially "retire" WHOPPEE!!!!, but as I have just got involved advertising in this Wedding Magazine, the mag will reach many areas, some of which are not in my area. It also is available at our large Wedding Fair that happens in the Vancouver area in April. If I should happen to get any business from this ad, it could be from anywhere in the Lower Mainland and I was just curious how a pro would react to supplying his work. I suppose if he/she doesn't offer the service it might be easier.

Again, thanks for your reply. Are you rid of your snow yet?

Linda

Postby nannybear » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:59 pm

Well I just looked at a whole bunch of photographers site in and around Vancouver and only one mentions a digital album and it wasn't very impressive. Nothing like what we do.....A lot of them said their packages included negatives as well. Hmmmmm

Yup snow all gone..... I have been thinking of approaching the ones around here with a simple elegant demo. One that you could make 3 templates so that all you are doing is dropping the pics in. I just need so really good pro wedding pics to do it. The ones I have the clients have taken themselves and they are not professional looking. So much stuff to pull together and so little time. :wink:
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

ProShow Hall of Fame

Re: Professional Photographers

Postby DickK » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:35 pm

newtcruiser wrote:...My question is has anyone here done a show using professional wedding photos? I don't really know how wedding photographers work these days. Is digital photography a norm?

Based on what I've seen (big caveat) it's still mixed. Talking to a guy who's made the switch to digital, he told me that many pros are reluctant to switch simply because they have a big investment in their current gear which they're very comfortable with. (He was shooting my niece's wedding this fall.)

newtcruiser wrote:If so is there any chance a photographer would relinquish his work in a digital format? Doubt it!!!! Is the only alernative scanning from the final prints? Has anyone dealt with this?

Any chance--sure, just depends on what the client bought, which is a function of what the photographer will agree to, what the client is smart enough to ask for and what they'll pay for. Here I have exactly one example to go on and that's my daughter's wedding ~2 years ago. In this case, the photographer would shoot film but agreed to release negatives and all reproduction rights. Partly that was simply part of the deal offered to the photographers--shoot digital and release the images, shoot film and release the negatives, either way the client has the right to reproduce the images.

After she saw what I did with our own wedding album she asked if I'd do a show of her wedding. Foolishly, said "sure." So that's a really big project on my to do list now. Long story but making the show will be the easy part--the hard part is all the prep work just to get select the right images (there are a lot of them) and get them in digital form.

As for scanning from prints, that's what I did with our own 30+ year-old album. It was all 5x7's and I did high res scans (TIFF format) then pulled them into an editor to color correct, crop, cleanup, etc. Those I saved as archival TIFF's and working JPGs which were then used to build the show. That turned out quite well--the images looked great. I also used a couple TIFFs to make new prints to replace some 8x10's that had faded/discolored badly over the years. Despite going up a size, the new prints from scans were excellent and a huge improvement over what we otherwise had.

Long story in short form: in my experience, scanning prints will work just fine but there's going to be a lot more time invested as a result.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby newtcruiser » Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:16 pm

Thanks for your reply DickK. I appreciate it. I guess I will just wait and see what situation arises and take it from there.

Linda

Postby newtcruiser » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:01 am

Nannybear

By the way, thanks for the checking out the photography sites, I hadn't thought of that.

Linda

Postby weldr » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:20 am

I'm a jerk who lurks at work....just had to say that. I recently did a wedding show for a friends kid. I got the pro's pictures on CD's. One was the raw images( huge files), one was JPG's and one was all the pics ready for printing. 600 + pictures. Next time let the customer pick out what they want. Seemed to take forever to go thru them all and narrow it down. This photagrapher had no problem with me doing a show. Which reminds me, I need to get hiim a copy ( possible advertising) I would guess the big question is....does the photographer keep all rights or does he/she hand it all to the client? Don
Canon EOS 50D,PSE7,Latest Producer, new computer...don't know specs off hand but runs Producer with no problems.

Postby newtcruiser » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:26 pm

Weldr you are right. I guess if I pick up some work with this recent wedding ad, I will have to wait and see what kind of package the client has.

Thanks for your info.

Linda

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm

weldr wrote:I would guess the big question is....does the photographer keep all rights or does he/she hand it all to the client? Don

Which depends entirely on what the client's contract says, tho' the photographer could grant additional rights if they were asked to, which is what it sounds like happened in the case you've got.

You've got the same situation I do (BIG pile of pictures to go thru). I'm being a nice Dad here but I sure wish I'd said she had to pick all the pictures <sigh>. Lesson learned tho,' huh?!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

cfeather

My perspective as a photographer

Postby cfeather » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:32 am

I am 100 percent digital since 2005.

I offer the slide show option, but no one has taken it yet. I charge $195 for a custom-built show, chapters, royalty-free music, pics of them as kids, engagement shots, whatever.

I used Producer to create a promotional DVD of my wedding work. It's cheaper than printing brochures. I have a demo show, pricing/plans show and a full wedding slide slide show, 15 minutes, on the DVD.

I'm going to a bridal show in two weeks and we'll be running the show on an LD monitor and passing out the DVDs.

You can view the demo and pricing show at the Photodex sharing site. I am feathermm.

Copywrite Release for pictures (Ethics)

Postby blkblts » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:33 pm

I have seen slideshows before alot of weddings. I always notice school pictures (which are copywritten matierial). I talked to the video person who put the show together and asked about copywritten pictures (wedding, school, senior portraits). I was told since there was only one or two they just scanned them instead of getting the original. Is this ok? Or is it like the whole music thing? Just wondering what others are doing...

Thanks a bunch.

threads1

Copy Write Legality

Postby threads1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:56 am

The nitty gritty is, it is illegal to use any copy written photographs without the expressed permission of the photographer. The quantity and how you acquire them makes no difference. The stamp on the back is to notify commercial labs that it is indeed a copy written photo and they should refuse to duplicate it. If you are making a DVD for a friend as a gift, your chances of getting caught are very slim. If your making a DVD to resell, then you run a higher risk of being caught and that’s when most pro’s will take legal action against you. Pros make there living with their photos and most are very protective of their work.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

Esteemed Member

Copyright

Postby JC » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:21 am

I believe the Copyright is protected regardless of whether or not the photo is stamped. Case in point, the photos that are purchased from stock sites such as iPhoto do not carry a printed copyright on the photo but they certainly are protected.

Copyright registration and stamps just make it easier to pursue a violator when evidence is to be presented; at least that's my understanding.

threads1

That's Right!

Postby threads1 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:19 am

Hello JC,

You are 100% correct. As soon as the photographer creates the image it is copy written. My point about the stamp was that it is there to notify a lab that it is indeed a protected photo thus stopping any duplication. If the stamp is not present anyone can walk in to a lab and say it is their photo and the lab will do whatever work is requested.

Unfortunately, with today’s technology, most people have access to a scanner and pay absolutely no attention to copy write laws. School pictures are a perfect example. A lot of people just get the minimal package and make their own copies for friends and relatives.

The upside to photos being copied off of the internet is that most smart photographers display low resolution images to view so, when they are copied, you aren’t getting much.

Charlie

Next

Return to Business Applications