Professional Photographers

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Postby blkblts » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:35 am

I am professional Wedding Photographer 100% digital since 2002. Just started selling these awesome DVD albums. Usually our clients get them from the video guys. I thought what the heck I can offer that service too. Plus using PSP makes it better then just a slideshow. We give a shared copywrite to all our clients for the wedding photography. It allows us to use the photos on our website and in samples books, but gives our clients the ability to print at will. Most of the photography company's in town don't offer this and of course my company is labled the black sheep because of it. Buisness is great so I guess I won't complain.

Kim

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:49 pm

blkblts wrote:...Most of the photography company's in town don't offer this and of course my company is labled the black sheep because of it. Buisness is great so I guess I won't complain. Kim

Yeah, well in my opinion you're the one who will continue to get the business and they'll have to change or they will simply lose out entirely. Regardless of the legalities, it's just not practical to enforce the copyright. Personally, I think the best response is to give it up without a fight but charge for it upfront. As long as others fail to do so, you (and those like you) have an advantage you can market and charge for.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

elsieallen

Postby elsieallen » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:55 pm

PLEASE NOTE -------

the ever standard... your mileage may vary is important here.

Each country is different... the original question came from Canada, as do I... our regs are quite different than the US.

CHECK WHERE YOU LIVE, not where you POST!!!

In Canada, the copyright in a photograph taken for a paying (cash or in kind) client is theirs unless there's a written agreement to the contrary.

Which there usually is, and it will usually state which usage rights have been granted to the client. They may state a max size for prints, or even get specific about how and where the prints can be used. Since a lot of photographers make their own slideshows, they may exclude using the images in any multimedia project, blah, blah, blah.

Unlike music, there are not set or standard rights to be negotiated, like SYNC or PERFORMANCE rights. It's really a blank piece of paper, and each photographer will detail what they will allow. Or they may do nothing in writing, and therefor grant all rights to the client.

So, please DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING.... check, check and re-check your facts....

regards,

Lorne

edited to add:

I want to be sure my comments are taken in context.

I am not suggesting any advice given earlier in this thread was poorly given.... the check your facts statement was meant for the readers of the post, not anyone who has contributed to the post.
Last edited by elsieallen on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:48 pm

There's a reason (actually lots of 'em) there's a whole of books written just about contract and copyright law as applied to photographers!

Very interesting. Didn't realize the copyright default worked in reverse in Canada. Interesting because it puts an even bigger burden on the photographer to get the contract right.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

cjdnzl

Postby cjdnzl » Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:24 am

Just a minor nitpick ...

Several posters in this thread have used 'copywrite' and 'copywritten' to describe protected images. The correct words are 'copyright' and 'copyrighted' - meaning the owner of copyright has the rights of ownership of the image and can control the copies.

Hope this helps ...

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:53 am

To put the info somewhere more obvious, I posted it here:

http://www.itsmygallery.com/ProShow/vie ... php?t=3052

second post down. Turns out that US law sounds like it has the same provision as Canada, something I'd not known and suspect is not commonly known at all.

Previous

Return to Business Applications