Advice on end of school year shows... Contacting schools??

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.

Advice on end of school year shows... Contacting schools??

Postby webcombo » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:26 pm

I am currently interested in getting into the end of the year market for schools that do slideshows. Most grade schools in the area have one after their 8th grade year, and I just got my first contact name to talk to about this (It is the mom in charge of the "room moms" for the 8th grade at my daughter's school.)

So my questions are these:

What is the opening statement to get them to at least hear me out, as opposed to saying, "Oh, we already go through xyz company and have been satisfied with them. But thank you anyway."

For those of you that are in that market, or have done marketing to get these types of videos, do you send a letter to them? If so, would you be able to share with us the document (or e-mail it to those who ask) so that we can maybe get some ideas?

If you haven't done a video like that before, but have done plenty of the usual wedding/graduation/memorial etc. videos, do you send them a copy of one, or direct them via e-mail to a link to the Proshow video you have done?

Any other advice on how to get into this market and the details of wording, media, flyers etc. would be great.

Thanks so much in advance!!

Rob

Postby dtpitts » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:13 am

Hey Rob,

Okay, you got me off the original thread... :lol:

Just wanted to share my experience from the schools. Yes, it is great money (in my opinion) to have the larger accounts that have multiple sales. I do the "Year in Review" for a local high school cheerleading team, and also the baseball team for that same school. Last year I had also done the same for a local elementary school for the 5th grade day. All the same type of show, the year in "review".

What I did to get the attention of the coaches, was to send a Demo DVD along with a quick letter with pricing. If I can dig up the letter, I will be happy to share. I am just getting organized with all this, so I may not be able to locate it. But, I will try. I think because she was able to pop the DVD right into her computer was very beneficial... I received a prompt e-mail response that she was impressed and wanted to use us. That is the only one that I had made that kind of contact with, the other school shows were from word of mouth. I do plan to do this type of contact for the other area schools in the next months. I am working on a new Demo DVD right now. I am hoping to also get the "Year in Review" at the local high schools, etc. The high school that I am currently doing the team sports "Year in Review" for, use their Yearbook Staff to do the end of the year slideshow... darn it! :wink:

As far as pricing goes, I have played around with this, but now use the "Fund-raising" price of $15.00 per DVD. This has to be of course a multiple order job. With the end of the year shows, the schools usually try and buy at this price and re-sell for a higher price to help cover the banquet (which the DVD will be shown) cost. The cheer group always re-sells for $20.00. It is a win-win situation... they make money and I am happy with my profit. Not all the school groups do that, but some do. The "cheapest" I have done (but normally do not come down on my price) is a Elementary School here did the 5th grade Show but wanted to be able to buy all the kids each a DVD to take home, that was 145 students, so I dropped the price to $7.50 per DVD. That was a total of $1,087.50 for us. Not bad for one show like you said... but my problem is I have not yet purchased a duplicator... :cry: Yep, that meant one at a time!!! Then one at a time to print on the DVD itself... :o You sound like you have a great set-up with your access to a duplicator and the print shop! Good deal!!

Also the great part about the sale of those larger orders is hopefully if any of these parents ever need this type of service, they will remember to call us.

Anyway, hope this helps and makes sense! I am soooo still learning and trying to figure out what is the best price, etc. But for now, I think it is working for me. Who knows where this will go, I love doing it and am trying to build the business. With all this help on here, we can do it!!

Teresa
:lol:

Postby webcombo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:34 am

Teresa,
Awesome response!! Thank you for sharing your secrets. I love the "Fund Raising" approach. That might be a great idea. I get money, and the organization/school gets money. Win/win for everyone. Also, sending out a demo is another good idea. But if I don't really have a demo, what do I do? I have done all sorts of other videos. One was for a class reunion, but that was pre-PSG and one of the first few that I did for pay. So that probably wouldn't fly. Was the demo you sent, one that related to schools? Just curious.

I will let you know of my progress and let you know if there are any other ideas that i come up with. Getting ahold of your letter would be fantastic, if you can find it. Trying to re-invent the wheel is not always easy, or efficient. Would greatly appreciate that. My e-mail address is rob@howellvideo.net if you happen to find it.

Thanks for sharing!!

Rob

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:49 am

Hey Rob...

Thought I'd jump in over here and ramble....

What do you do if you don't have a demo (that applies directly to your customer).... make one... I know all that is fine and good but how... if you had the pictures and content it wouldn't be a big deal right....

This is where I think a direct honest approach with your first clients comes into play (and in my opinion -- because there is no one else in the room with me so it has to be my opinion)... in my opinion you will be in a partnership with these first clients that will serve you well as you build your business....

Approach the one school (and I'd recommend to go in person if you can or find a way to meet face to face --- I guess that was redundant to say -- how else is in person if not face to face -- I guess you could turn your back to them... psst.. not a good sales approach though....)... anyway tell them you are starting a business and know you have something that is unique for them and will absolutely be well received and make the school and the teachers and the parent and the children look fantastic...(yep lay it on thick --- but only as you can deliver).....

Tell them since you are starting out you have a special request .... that they allow you to do the end of the year show and that you will provide them with 10 free copies.... the next 30 copies will be some ridiculously low price and anything over 30 will be at the standard price. Incorporate that with the fund raising approach.... (the numbers I use are just examples.... the intent is to cover material cost with the 30 really cheap copies -- materials only not your time at this point -- not cheap copies because they will still be of good quality -- the really low price ones is what I meant)...

Now are you sitting down? Tell them if they are not satisfied you.. you are willing to... 1) refund all their monies, 2) and (this is were you need to sit)... donate $500 to the school.... 3) you will also write on the blackboard 1000 times that you will try harder next time...

What you are trying to do is remove all the risk they have (financial that is -- they will still be risking that you can pull this off -- and that is where your other demos come into play).... You can show the other demos as a sample of your work but it may not fully convince them in and of themselves that you can pulloff the school show.... (but hey we know you can so all this is "smoke and mirrors" right?....)

Let me be blunt (well I'll be Bob but ... that is different -- and everyone knows I'm differnt... ok back on track here)... if you are worried about the $500 you probably should NOT do the show.... YIKES Bob what are you saying.... I'm saying don't do it.... if you really think your show is potentially going to flop that bad... then you need to do some more free shows first.... (but again it ain't going to happen we know your show is going to blow them away)....

Now sit a little lower.... once you get the school (and you will) then after you count your profits (after cost).... donate 1/2 of them back to the school (just never never ever tell them that upfront).... You will be such a hero... and bag this school that they will keep coming back to you (and at your regular pricing) year after year.... AND you then get a fantastic recommendation letter from them saying how there is no one on this green earth that they would deal with other then Rob ... (well maybe except Teresa but she is in a different geography so don't worry...)...

Ok just an idea... take what you like (if any thing) and throw the rest away.... or throw it all away.... (it didn't cost you much)... (don't forget to recylce...)....

This of course is only for one or two of your first clients.... if you just send letters with demos out of the blue you reduce your chances of snagging a job -- simply because you are not established.... and remember each person that turns you down (especially when you start) reduces your marketplace a bit.... getting a "no thank you" because you don't have a list of satisfied customers hurts more in the beginning then once you have a few under your belt... they will typically remember the "shot in the dark" person then the business that was established (but they said no too)....

For example if you were in the market for a home improvement project (and remember you have identified that the schools are in the market for you services) and Johnny Pipewrench sends you a letter asking for your business (but has no customer references) ... you will probably say.... "who is this Johnny Pipewrench guy" (if you even go that far) then chuck the letter in the can.... but if you get a letter (remember you are in the market for home improvement like the school is for year end show) if you get a letter from an established business you might just read further.... and consider them..... because the already have a name for themselves....

But as for Johnny Pipewrench... if he sends you a second letter or even contacts you.... you have already made up your mind (somewhat) and probably won't enterain his call or second letter (unless it is really a fantastic song and dance -- see how I worked enterain and song and dance together -- gosh I just amaze myself :roll: )....here is why.... you have already pre-conditioned yourself (from the first letter) to discard ole Johnny (poor Johnny dont' you feel sorry for him...)...

Anyway.... Teresa has good experience here with schools .. you should listen to her OOOO so much more ....

Gotta go for the day..... (this is so much fun....)

Bob

sumgrl19

Postby sumgrl19 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:08 pm

I have a question:

What do you do about the music with the school shows? Like, do you use only royalty free music? Or do you purchase rights to the copyrighted music? I am just really afraid of making a show that would go to tons of people and have it not be completely legal. I know that we have all been in discussions about this before, and I don't mean to start up a huge discussion about it....just wondering what those of you who have done these large shows...have done when it comes to music.

Thanks!

-Jessica

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:16 pm

Jessica,

I only use royalty-free music that I have rights to distribute... because of copyright I would not make mass copies (like for school)... because (also without getting into a long debate)... multiple copies is way over the line... if it was one copy to an individual I'm sort of ok with that as long as they either already own the music or I buy them a copy (I know this is still not the best but that is what I do)...

So bottom line for the multiple copy market -- I only do royalty-free (that has rights for me to distribute and reproduce as part of my show).

Hope that helps -- I'm sure others with have varying opinions (and hopefully it won't go into a long debate)....

Take care,

Bob

sumgrl19

Postby sumgrl19 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:36 pm

Thanks Bob!

Thanks for your quick response. I figured that royalty free music was just about the only way to go.

I have another question...for all people who make the school/group slideshows. Do you take the photographs used in the slideshow? Or do you mostly use others photographs? Because I know that if they belong to a professional photographer (such as sports photos), then you would also have to get the permission to use those.

To me, it seems that there is an awful lot of things to do..to cover your butt :) ...but I guess it is worth it if you want to make the money and stay legal! :)

Thanks Again!
Jessica

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:07 pm

Jessica,

I haven't done schools but have done shows with professional photography (from another professional).... I always get permission (even for weddings)... only occassionally have I run across someone who wanted some money (no has refused -- but did want a small fee)...

If there are professional school pictures you should go cautiously....

Now I don't have information directly from a lawyer or anything ... but your customer probably doesn't have rights to copy professional photos (unless they can "prove" it by showing you something in writing)...

You are very smart and wise to ask and tread carefully....

I know some show providers would just do it but since the show will be widely distributed it may be better to error on the side of caution (and frankly I think asking the pro who took the photos is the right thing to do regardless)....

Take care and great questions and concerns.... (be interesting what others say)...

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:12 pm

sumgrl19 wrote:I have another question...for all people who make the school/group slideshows. Do you take the photographs used in the slideshow? Or do you mostly use others photographs? Because I know that if they belong to a professional photographer (such as sports photos), then you would also have to get the permission to use those.
Jessica

That's the question that keeps coming up in my mind about this kind of thing. Maybe I missed this but if you're doing school shows where did the content come from??

If the kids' parents send pics in with the kids you're going to have stuff that's all over the map and some kids will never have any at all. Sure I can go take some shots around the school, the classroom and of the class but that's hardly going to make a "year in review" show. Surely you're not visiting "n" times over the year and accumulating the shots that way--it would work but its hugely labor intensive and might be pretty invasive.

So, where does the content come from and how do you manage it?

Enquiring minds... :wink: :wink:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:22 am

What a great thread! Thanks for all of the tips everyone! The $$ to be had is unmatched I think. This is an area that I have been hoping to forge in to - this thread has given me the motivation to do so. Great points: royalty free music only, no professional pics - we simply can NOT put ourselves at risk like that, especially with multiple copy offers like this.

Other ideas: class trips - our district does a 5th grade camp - I am going to try for that one. Lots of pics are taken. I will ask the teacher, chaperones and parents to provide pics. One adult will be in charge of gathering them and trying to ensure that each student has at least one pic. I think I will go with the fundraising idea - $$ for their trip for next year or for the class to put into their treasury as they venture into the middle school. I love the fundraising avenue!

My nephew is a big hockey player in a very wealthy neighborhood. I have offered to do a show for them for free - using pics they have taken of the team. I will ask that they show it to the team at a banquet, year-end party, etc. I will then offer to make a show for others for - ?? - maybe $15-$20 - these folks can afford just about anything. Each show will be the same - EXCEPT - that the opening will highlight 2 or 3 slides of that specific player. What do you think?

Areyou contacting the Parent Organization (PTA/PTO, etc.?) I think that is where I will start. Call them and ask to be put on the agenda for a fundraising idea and show a short demo tape - that way you aren't depending on one individual to decide if your idea has merit.

Well, I need to go to the "real job". :( If we can keep this thread going maybe I will be able to ditch it soon. :D

Take are and I will share more later - I have a Word document of ideas for new venues - maybe we can all share our ideas and come up with strategies, etc. 20 heads are better than one, right?

Have a great day everyone. Cindy

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:30 am

Cindy,

You have some great ideas !!!

PTA/O ... great thought!!!!! Also the class trip...

I can see another benefit of "free" shows at first... you can train your customer to capture more photos to make your job easier for the next time around...

Not having done the school market I wonder how many schools have already done the "year end" shows.... because I would assume since they have they already have an understanding they have to take pics.... hummmm

Upper income areas are a fantastic avenue of expanded sales....

Very cool idea about customizing each show.... could be labor intense and deliver delayed... Just think how busy you might be with 30 individual shows.... but very cool promotion!!!!

Bob

Postby dtpitts » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:06 am

:shock: Yikes... I have seen those heated "debates" about the royalty music. Let's just agree to dis-agree on that huge topic and keep moving forward with all this creative juices going here!! :) Let me share some about the schools that I have done....

As far as the photos go, it is a organized process that has to happen. I work with the "Team Moms" closely to lay out the photos and plan how the video will go. All photos are taken by the parents of the kids on the team or the coaches. With the exception of the professional team photos and the photos that are taken from the professional sports photographer from the local newspaper (great action shots). In both of those situations I have to obtain permission from them to use the photos in the montage. I also give credit at the end of the montage. I have had no problem with this so far!

Same thing happens with the Elementary School 5th grade day. There is a team of parents that know at the beginning of the year that they are going to do this. They plan to be at special events to have photos taken. Each Homeroom class Mom is in charge of taking photos of that class and then narrows the photos down to a certain number and also makes sure that each child is represented. This makes such a big job seem manageable by sharing the work load. Then the parents narrow the photos down into groups (Space Camp, Red Ribbon Week, Recess, Awards Day, etc..) and we determine how the video needs to flow and then I take it from there. They normally let me choose the creative side of things, and have been happy so far...

I have also done a Field Trip for this same school. The principal decided he wanted to do this two days prior to them leaving, so this was a rush... plus I was just starting out and was very new to it all. Kinda freaked me out... :o Again, the parents took photos and turned them into me. Also, disposable cameras were sent with the kids. I think I would skip that part, just leave it up to the chaperones to try and take photos of their groups and I always remind then that they need to try and include all students. Group photos are great.

Cindy, as far as the hockey, I would do only one video. With my team sports, I do have each player with their name (and photo) on the slide at the beginning of the video, then at the end we highlight the seniors with both a baby photo and then the "today' photo. They are always very happy with that. Changing the video for each child would be way to much work. These team videos are labor intensive for me anyway, I include lots of text, that takes time! If I can get around to looking into sharing on the site, I can post some of the shows to let you know what I am doing.

The PTA is a good start, and giving a presentation is perfect! I have a list of ideas for school use! My original thought was that it would be a great idea for each teacher to have the option to take photos throughout the school year of her class alone and then have a video made of her students year. How cute would that be of those first graders and what parents would not buy one?? And one for Grandma too!! :wink: Then the funds from the sell of the DVDs (I sell for $15, they sell for $20) could go directly back into that classroom... the teacher could choose herself what is needed, books, makers, rocking chair... how cool would that be? I have a friend who is a teacher and she would love that opportunity! Anyways, just more ideas. As wonderful as that idea sounds, I would actually not know what to do if they took me up on that because they have tons of classes and it is just little ole' me! :P My husband helps tons, he is the "technical guy" and I am the "creative" one... You also have to remember that if you offer this to several schools and they take you up on it, they are all going to want it done at the same time. Something to think about.

Also, I know at all of my kids schools we sign at the beginning of each year that we give permission for our children to have photos taken at school events and that they can be use on the web-site, yearbook, school newspaper, etc. Guess this may cover some of those legal questions??

Okay, that is plenty for now. Everyone pull out those Word Documnets and share, share, share!!!!

Teresa
:)

Return to Business Applications