Slides shows & digital photo "stuff" as a busi

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
ProShow Hall of Fame

Slides shows & digital photo "stuff" as a busi

Postby DickK » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:52 pm

You folks are really great and have managed to get me really intrigued by this digital photo services business model. I can't see it generating a huge income for me but that's fine. I'm starting to think about what to do as a 3rd career--aka, something to do when I "retire" and the general idea here might just work. Tried to summarize some initial thoughts:

Pro:
    Big potential market (everyone with a digital camera, everyone who wants pictures in digital/video form)
    No big barrier to entry for me
    I'd enjoy it (most important factor of all)
    Portable if we move geographically
    Lots of potential services and products that can be added or subtracted to create a business
Con:
    Low barrier to entry could lead to a lot of competition
    My lack of experience in this business
    Unknown (to me) income potential

Seems like such a business would do best concentrating on a local market (vice Internet market) and that might need an above average disposable income demographic. Might also be something that would increasingly appeal to my huge pool of baby boomers as we have grandkids and retire.

So, comments on the above most welcome and a couple questions I haven't seen answers for, if you wouldn't mind sharing:
-- What is your typical, if there is such a thing, customer like? (how computer literate, camera-literate, any demographic commonality you noticed?)
-- What do potential clients want that you either don't do/sell or point them to someone else for?
-- What surprises you most about the business?
Last edited by DickK on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:03 pm

Oh man Dick.... good questions and this is a part I love to talk about and that is the business....

Ok let me tackle a couple of things....

Yes it will be hard to make a "living" with just slide show offerings ... but add it to other work and it is a good profit generator.

In your Pro column I'd have to correct a few things:

Big market? Depends. It depends on how you first define the market... if it is just for "feel good" shows it is not all that big. However, if you include business presentations, commercials, non-profits, then the market can be big (but again big is a relative term). For example a lot of folks see Weddings as a big market for slide shows... it may be but I find only if you are also the photographer / initial contact point with the client. We could spend a lot of time just on wedding shows and how to approach that segment but I'll try to keep it up in the clouds a bit today....

No big barrier.... well possibly... biggest barrier is not our tools or possession of them but our creativity and motivation to conduct business and not just "play" around. I find folks like to think about this business when the have all the tools and create a few good shows but running the business isn't as enjoyable (for some) as making the slide shows -- the two have little in common. With that said unless you really can pay attention to marketing and the business you can make eye-popping shows that just sit on your shelf. Where as someone that is out making contacts and selling and promoting themselves can make average shows and be doing quiet well. So there might be a barrier... not in creating shows but the business side.... (of course this isn't making a personal observation about you and your abilities)....

Not that portable.... well yes you can move the computer and software but you would truly be starting from practically ground zero... no clients no money no shows.... sure you have the tools but that is the easy part... you just lost your customer base. You can restart but it isn't going to be "instantly" at the level you were at....

You last pro is right on!!!! Lots of added items.... by the way contracting others starts to be a big advantage as you expand services (I get requests for "live" video -- and I don't do that personally -- but I have a person I contract to do it for me --- notice I didn't refer the customer I subcontracted it out so I remain in control -- see the prior Photographer comment).....

Cons... Dick you are going to think I'm just saying black when you say white... but I'm not meaning too... I've been told I think differently (backwards) from a lot of people..... so pardon if I offer different advice on your Cons....

Low barrier / lot of competition: not really... again sure the software seems to be cheap (relatively) but talent is not... business skills is not and the big one MOTOVATION!!!! There are so many people with dreams of doing something for themselves (like starting a business) that will never do it.... also the Joe Doe Hobbyist is not going to be your competition either.... they won't typically have the experience or the business contacts to really compete (maybe with Aunt Thelma's daughter's wedding show but it will be rare). Most of your competition will be actually other service providers trying to capture the "memory" market or "presentation" market -- ie photographers or videographers and even (I'm finding) some graphic designers.... so the competition actually comes from divergent areas (plus educating your potential customers about your service -- that my friend is a big one!!!!)

Lack of experience is never in my mind a Con.... nope just an opportunity... the business that don't know what they don't know tend to eat the competitions lunch (like Gates did to IBM -- Gates hah talk about inexperience when he started)... naw inexperience just allows you to do things in the market that the others already know can't work (and they you pull it off because that is just what folks want).... Plus lack of experience will always be there... because you always have to grow with the market and the business environment. OK I'm putting down the pom-poms....

Why would unknown income be a Con.... seriously I wouldn't call this a Con but just lack of information... because you should never go into business (any business) without being able to define your market and income and cost and profit (to the best of your ability)... and that is hard work.... lots of leg work and if you can't ask and guess at the market then you have to do some "test" runs to see how the market responds.... but that subject alone would take a long long time and I see this post is becoming huge already....

Ok I'm going to stop there but will make one other comment.... local market!!! YES YES YES... Internet market is going to be rare rare rare... in my opinion this is a hands on close contact business... (oh yes the technology will allow you to do remote business but I really think the local aspect is the way to go.... once you get a great reputation then maybe it can expand).... ok I said I was going to stop (can you tell I get excited discussing this side of things....).... my clients computer expertise is all over the range from a consumer standpoint... but usually high expertise when it comes to the business clients.... but they ain't hiring me to match wits on computers but for the end product.... never ever sell technology sell the end product....

Ok I'm really done for now....

Great topic.... fun stuff this is....

Take care,

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:41 am

images-that-move wrote:Oh man Dick.... good questions and this is a part I love to talk about and that is the business....
In your Pro column I'd have to correct a few things:
Big market? Depends. It depends on how you first define the market...

Got it. Mostly agree, but I think weddings can be a major customer input if a relationship can be built with a few of the photographers. I have limited ability/experience with event photography but I know my limitations and interests, so its not what I want to depend on as a business. And, like you, the video end of it is out of my interest and capability entirely.

images-that-move wrote:No big barrier.... well possibly... biggest barrier is not our tools or possession of them but our creativity and motivation to conduct business and not just "play" around. I find folks like to think about this business when the have all the tools and create a few good shows but running the business isn't as enjoyable (for some) as making the slide shows -- the two have little in common.

Understand, which is why I'm only thinking about this and not doing it. If I'm not convinced I have the talent and the commitment then it will stay a hobby-level interest. The reason I've always been reluctant to turn a hobby/interest into a business is that is seems a good way to spoil the hobby and create a poorly executed business.

images-that-move wrote:Not that portable.... well yes you can move the computer and software but you would truly be starting from practically ground zero... no clients no money no shows.... sure you have the tools but that is the easy part... you just lost your customer base. You can restart but it isn't going to be "instantly" at the level you were at....

You're correct--hadn't thought that one through at all. Thinking about the internet basis made me say that but then I realize this isn't going to be a 'net based business to any significant degree.

images-that-move wrote:Cons... Dick you are going to think I'm just saying black when you say white... but I'm not meaning too... I've been told I think differently (backwards) from a lot of people..... so pardon if I offer different advice on your Cons....

Go right ahead! That's exactly what I'm looking for in fact.

images-that-move wrote: Low barrier / lot of competition: not really... Most of your competition will be actually other service providers trying to capture the "memory" market or "presentation" market -- ie photographers or videographers and even (I'm finding) some graphic designers.... so the competition actually comes from divergent areas

Got it. But your point about educating the customer is what I was thinking of. There could be a lot of apparent competition to confuse and fracture the market. If I look like the hobbyist then they are, in fact, competition.

images-that-move wrote:Lack of experience is never in my mind a Con.... nope just an opportunity... <snip>
Why would unknown income be a Con.... seriously I wouldn't call this a Con but just lack of information... because you should never go into business (any business) without being able to define your market and income and cost and profit (to the best of your ability)... and that is hard work....

Don't disagree but my point was based on an unstated comparison being made in my own mind. There are alternatives for me that are on a lot more familiar territory and involve working for some other company as an employee or consultant. I have a good idea of what's involved there and the income I can generate with full or part time work. Starting is a home-based business is something I haven't done--so, no basis for knowing whether I can make any money at it at all, much less say how much. But another part of my brain keeps reminding me that while a little income would be nice, if things work out reasonably well, we probably manage with little income from either of us. But it sure would be nice to generate at least enough income to pay for the toys (computer gear, cameras, etc) I want anyway.

images-that-move wrote:Ok I'm going to stop there but will make one other comment.... local market!!! YES YES YES ...never ever sell technology sell the end product....

Good advice.

Thanks much for sharing!

So, Bob, what's your typical customer and sale like?

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Postby dtpitts » Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:39 pm

Wow, thanks for all that great advice Bob! And thanks Dick for asking all the right questions... :)

I have a question... the ones that are curently doing this as a business are they doing this out of their home? I have done this for about a year now, out of my home. Just word of mouth, and repeat customers. They have all come to my home with no problem. But, as I look to expand and try to advertise, I wonder if the "home" factor will turn people away. Just wondering what kind of response others have had with this. Any thoughts would be appreciated!

And Bob, good to know that you like this subject... you will hear from me again! :lol:

Thanks!!

Teresa
:D

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:22 pm

Dick,

I'll try to be a bit briefer (ha ha ) this time.... but I do get cranked up sometimes....

I'm just going to skip and hop around on some of your previous comments (my minds a jumble today so forgive me)...

Weddings -- if you are not the photographer I think this is a hard market to break into.... most pro-photogs want known talent and believe it or not want to control the creative aspects – go figure… (mainly because in reality we would be representing them)... therefore what I find is you get generally (and this is a generalization) two types... pros that think they don't need you because they can do it themselves or think they can (but what is funny most don't do it)..... or pros that are going to be so controlling as to make it unprofitable for you.... Ok I know this is a generalization... and I'm not suggesting discarding this aspect of the market... it is just a bit harder to enter (and harder still to have multiple pros in the same local area because of the competitive nature of their business). But if you can get one or two it can be a nice part-time adventure.

Be careful not to ruin your hobby!!!! Start slow and try to do some gratis work (that is how I got my feet wet so to speak)... you'll find out quickly if you like the deadlines and "pressure" of creating shows.. (not to satisfy your eye but theirs – can be a big difference)!!

Hobbyists are really not the competition... (not even the do-it-yourselfer's).... but I agree with you if you look like a hobbyist then (to be blunt) don't do this at all.... you'll just be disappointed. However, do this as a hobbyist for "free".... to see how you like it (ok I'm repeating myself...)... where to do free shows... (skip the relatives and friends) go to Museums, service clubs, historical sites, animal shelters, even nursing homes and do a presentation / "feel good" show for them..... then you don’t have to worry about being the hobbyist as much as someone that is trying to plunge into the business to generate income (after all it was for free … right) – You’ll be amazed that the word of mouth starts quick if you are good.

(ok I'm not living up to my keep it brief promise…. I warned you I can get cranked … but the business side is the most neglected side)....

Got you about the unstated comparison in your mind.... (I do that a lot so I lose folks sometimes.... the darn voices in my head.... yikes!!!) ;-)

For my own assumption -- starting this business was because of the challenge and apparent low cost to "test" the concept out NOT that I had some skill or knowledge already.... so it wasn't a skill set that I thought I had.... anyway…. you already are miles ahead of many folks because you are asking the questions!!!!!

OK now to you final questions....(you were wondering if I’d ignore those questions)…

Typical customer (there ain't any -- ok little humor).... I have two basic type of clients I work with .... consumer and business. The consumer folks were the start of entering into this business and it was mainly retirement and memorial shows (no weddings -- at first – I only do a couple of them now and then anyway….) – from there it started by word of mouth / networking . But then I did a presentation for two different Funeral Homes because of the memorial show (the business shows were ... one to pitch services to their clients and another was an internal training / motivation show for their employees) this started from a memorial show (but I said that already)…....

My main business turns out to be shows for business presentations (I can blow powerpoint away any day)... (and I offer other services, event photography, VO and some graphic work)
The typical non-profit or business presentation show averages somewhere around 8 to 20 minutes. On average they run about $35 per minute of show time (no music or special effects – just simple transitions / ie. PSP transition – any complex masking or video clips are extra). I generally use their images (but will buy some stock if needed – of course for a fee – generally pass-thru charge). I add additional charges for VO, music, graphic creation, etc)
So for businesses an average 8 - 9 minute show would be around $350 or so (that includes VO and some graphic work ($280 is just run time)… the 20 min shows are between 700 – 900. Sounds like a lot of money but these shows take a good amount of time (but still compared to the videographers up the street I’m cheap – cost wise)…

Ok that is all for now… but like I said I love talking this side of the business!!!

Take care and hopefully something here was useful (if not the I’ll give it to you for ½ price)!

Bob

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:40 pm

Teresa,

It is fun to get a business going... I'm not doing this "full-time" by any stretch (I have another occupation) but have always like to play around in business... you meet a lot of great people and can provide some really great service for folks....

As for running your business out of your home... well it depends (I give that answer a lot).... sounds like you are having folks into your home already... this actually could be a plus (depending on what type shows you are doing... for example if you are doing weddings, or "memory" shows, the warmth of your home can actually help sell the product -- people will be able to see the product in a "home" setting and see your character and creativity).... So don't worry about rushing off into a leased place....

However, with that said... I don't have people come over to the house... I go to them (either businesses or consumers doesn't matter). (I take sample projects I have done and carry a laptop, portable DVD player with cables to hook into thier TVs or projectors... then I play the samples or give the pitch...). To prepare I try to find out what they are interested in and try to bring shows that are related (but always at least on that doesn't == so they can see that I do other stuff and can sort of be creative-- you'd be surprised what reaction you might get... I got one customer from a business presentation because I showed a short "memorial" of about 2 minutes -- they hired me later to do a retirement show but I was there to pitch a show to highlight a new product the customer was offering -- it let them think of me for other than the work at hand). Also, depending on the size of the potential client (that code for $$) I may make a short demo that is very specific to them -- let's them know I'm already working for them even before they sign a contract (hey it makes marketing more expensive but I think I get a few more signings this way).

So gosh all this is to say... if it is working for you ... find out why.... (don't be afraid after you have the sale and have delivered the project to ask the customer if coming to your home caused them any problem or concern even if only for a second -- and also ask those who do not sign up with you VERY IMPORTANT).... If it is not working for you --- ok you guessed it --- find out why.... gotta ask...(rejection is tough but ask you'll learn a lot -- about your business, customer and yep even yourself)....

Hope that helps

Take care,

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:57 pm

Bob -- terrific information and you just keep right on ramblin' and we'll just run a little harder to keep up.

Sounds like your motivation was something like mine. I'm a few years from it but eventually I'm going to quit what I'm doing and try something else. 1st career was USAF, second one is systems engineer, software project manager and head of a business unit in a small company, that then got bought up by a bigger one...repeat that twice. It's been a big learning experience and I've enjoyed it but the fun and challenge has peaked. Monetarily it's not sensible to bail out quite yet but I'm turning my mental focus on "what next?" Needs to be something different, preferably something that was doable as a home office business and even better if it capitalized on my many years of interest in computer "stuff" and photography. Thus, the instant "hmmmmmmmm..." that happened when I started using and enjoying ProShow and figured out that at least a few people had turned it into a business or part of one. At this point I know enough to be dangerous :D but at least I'm aware that I don't know nearly enough yet, but it could be a lot of fun finding out! And I really like your ideas in that regard.

Okay, another question -- what do know now about the business that you wished you'd known when you started?

Again... thanks for sharing :!:

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:04 pm

Dick,

Sounds as if your background is ready made for just about anything you set your mind too!!

I have a varied background also... had about 25 or so years in the Info Tech business... couple of years ago I left (semi-retired at the rip old age of 42 .. yep I was 17 when I started in the field) after a long stint with with one of the big boys (did everything from software to marketing to consulting -- almost sounds like I couldn't hold a job).... left to pursue another "calling".... I'm serving a small membership church as a part-time "second" career pastor... but just can't seem to keep my hands out of the business world... At one point (probably about 15 years ago I was doing photography work on the side -- children, weddings and portraits -- never thought I had the talent/eye to venture into it full time -- plus the IT money was too enchanting)... anyway when I left the IT business I started dabbling back with photography and ran into PSG then PSP... that help release some of my creative energy.... and it just kind of bloomed into a side-line...

As for ProShow being a tool to get into a business that can support some level of life-style.... I'm sold -- it is a great tool and opens up a market that really hasn't been addressed (thus can be initally hard to enter)... of course it depends on the business model you want to pursue and the level of support you need (or want) whether it can work for you.... Sort of like the pro-photogs.... I have (just like you I'm sure) pro-photogs that run the gamut of inexpensive low end to the high end folks (who do one or two jobs a month but demand such a high rate because of unique skill, product or marketing angle they don't have to work as much)... Anyway my excitement here is I see a marketable product/service that takes creativity (which is the main component to sell, your unique creativity -- not the technology because as you know that changes quickly and often).... Creativity / imagination and selling that creativity is what will make a good business model...

Boy I like that last question... what do I wish I would have known.... and your not going to like the answer.... believe it or not nothing... not because I had everything down pat.... boy not at all... (still don't)... but because the journey is a good part of the fun and enjoyment. Remember when I refered to not having the knowledge / experience was not a "con" in my book... this is why... I enjoy the learning and experiencing part of this -- so that is part of the reward... I know what you are trying to get at... but I'm serious about my answer... I've so enjoyed trying to figure some of this out even at the expense of "flopping".... When I've flopped is when I've learned the most...

Ok I know you're going to do it.... you are just waiting to turn the question around to make me answer.... I can anticipate it now... you are going to ask..."so what is the "thing" you learned"... (ok you knew I'd probably get around to anwering your question)....

Here are just a couple.....

Don't do anything for free (now did I just contradict my previous post?) Not really.... when you do "free" shows always try to get something in return... testimonial, letter, signed invoice with a value that you "forgave".... something.... Why... because without something your show was worth "nothing".... I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this one because I'm not sure I could fully put it into words... basically what I learned was if folks don't put anything up (even for a free show) then they don't value it as much and it says neither did you.... because you didn't want anything in return (kind of fits with the saying "there are no free lunch"... people expect that if something is of value (even if it is free) then you want something for it (doesn't have to be money).... Hope this one makes sense....

Don't over or under sell yourself... and I really can't tell you when that happens... just the results... (and it aint' good)

Deadlines cramp creativity.... there is so much potential for variations in the shows you can get caught up with making things "perfect"... you won't have the time... so develop a workflow and stick with it (until it doesn't serve you well anymore)....

Don't become stale... it is amazing what happens with word of mouth referrals... that means there are connections between customers... they talk... they will talk about the show you did for each of them... they might even watch each other's shows.... and if they look the same... (or have that one technique that is really really great and they both have it... someone will feel disappointed and less than special --- both in the business and consumer world -- not a good thing to get that call).... (boy can you tell there is a long story behind this one)....

Oh... and let the customer participate in the development of the show... when you spend hours and hours on a show then spring it on them you just might be disappointed.... you have the best show ever developed, timed to perfection, then you get... "gosh Bob you know I really hate country music... do you have anything else you can put in there?" (that from a customer that said "oh anything you come up with will be great, I've seen your work and love it").... don't believe it... it is their memory show or their presentation and it is representing them not you... (ok another long story on this one also....)

I probably could come up with some more.... but the joy is in the process and discovery... since this kind of business is not life or death you can have boat load of fun without doing ultimate harm... just time spent.... but you have to spend it somewhere....

Take care,

Bob

Postby dtpitts » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:27 am

Bob,

Thanks! Good advice, going to the client would be something to consider. I have done jobs for local schools and intend to get a brochure to the other area schools along with a Demo tape, I think I will offer to come to them as well. The hardest part for me is selling "myself"... I have all the confidence in what I do, but totally lack the "salesmen" side. Guess in my pretend world the people would just flock to me... I would not have to try and sell anything!! :P

I too am just looking for some "extra income"... With our twins in their first year in at college and another one on the way... extra income just to pay college expenses is a bonus! Plus I LOVE doing this, I could do it all day long for free! Which your point in doing stuff for free was excellent! I am certainly going to keep that in mind!

Next question.. I now have PSG, am I going to just love PSP? Is it worth the money? Your thoughts?

Okay, please keep ramblin'... and I now have a new favorite saying...just time spent.... but you have to spend it somewhere....

Love it!

Teresa
:)

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:18 am

Teresa,

Brochure and demo are good but remember it is a relationship which you build that ultimately sells... (I loved the "people would just flock to me" ... I'm glad you see that probably won't happen)....That is a big step to realize that....

Please please don't sell yourself short.... that is one of the reasons to do "free" work... it boasts your exposure and should boast your confidence. Also, a big secret of selling is making sure you have a product that meets a need (emotionally, financially, or whatever) for your client... then your job is to show them how YOU can meet that need. It really isn't that hard... Did I hear you ask Why? (and I'm so glad you asked)... because you are just dealing with another person who probably has all the same general insecurities as any of us. You just work hard to connect with the person then show them how your service/product helps them look good (and of course feel good). Oh and don't think you have to be a "slick salesperson" to do this.... listen listen listen to the customer (and educate educate educate them in your service). You'll get rejected (actually your service or product will seldom do you personally get rejected -- although it sometimes feels that way)....

If you don't mind tells us about what you did for the local school... let's see if we can build on that... because that is a great entry point to branch out with. Kids yep they are a wonderful way to get your networking started... think about it... parents typically love thier kids so if they see your work they may want to do something else on an individual level (graduations, birthdays, special and important life events, even the kids might want to talk one parent into doing something for the other parent or grandparent --- see how it can balloon).. and don't forget the teachers are professionals and could have need for special presentations ... let along the parents... most of them probably work so there is your business contacts.... oh boy can you see how over time you can expand? Very exciting for you... but you have to push youself to be out there.... (hey one idea just popped into my head because of a project I'm working on for a church.... don't forget the schools choir/music department -- what a great way to get two items included in a show... their music and pictures from their events... also don't forget the art department for items to photograph and include in shows...)

You have a great start if you love doing this... You won't be successful unless you love what you do (and success is sometimes -- actually most times more than just money..) (ok now I'm getting all philosophical)...

As for PSG vs PSP... can I use my standard response of "it depends".... I think both products are great (in my opinion -- because of course who elses would I share)... both of these products are the best on the market... but I use other tools also... remember PSG/PSP are only tools... what is between your shoulders is much much more important.... (if you're interested I use a lot of the Adobe Suite of products -- BUT you don't have too -- grow into that!!!) Don't get overwhelmed or bogged down with getting the fanciest tool and the biggest and best... again it more to do with your creativity....

Ok I'll outright answer the questions.... I think PSP is worth it... yes some would consider it a lot of money... but I still think it is worth it.... but let me say once again... you are the most important aspect in all of this.... I know folks who have PSG (two locally) and they just use it like they would Powerpoint... kind of a waste if you'd ask me (ok so now you don't have to ask)... they have little desire to develop a vision or their creativity (which I firmly believe we all have and can develop)... I could use Powerpoint and develop better presentation then what they can with PSG (not bragging just they don't want to put the effort into it)... bottom line it ain't the tool..!!!! (am I riding this horse to hard).... But with that remember as you develop your creativity PSP will let you access tools to bring that creativity about easier, faster and more professionally.

Go for it Teresa!!! Start with the schools and enthusiams and see something take off.... also set realistic expectations... you may get 10 no's before you get that one yes.... just make each no a learning experience and DO NOT take it personally....

Take care,

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby briancbb » Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:54 am

Teresa

Can I add my two pence worth (two cents, if your outside the UK!) on the PSG and PSP subject.

PSG, now with the capabilities of layers, can produce wonders for those who have not seen output from the product before. They will think the shows are stunning. Shows should be quick and easy to produce to enable profit to be made. If you use PSP you will get so involved with all the possibilities to include in a show it will take added time which means less 'profit'. It is unlikely the viewer will realise the extra time, effort and involvemnt in producing the show.

Although I'm a user of PSP, I do work for a photographer, I'm rarely using it beyond the present capabilities of the present PSG v3.

Don't lay out the money untill you can see a return for the investment.

Brian

Postby dtpitts » Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:09 pm

Bob,

You know you could be a great cheerleader! :lol: You do have a way of wording things just perfectly, maybe you should write a book! Dick and I would buy it!

Again, great ideas and thoughts! It is so exciting when you think of the different directions you could take this business. I too have so many ideas... like you said I just have to put myself out there for sure. I am working on that! :oops:

As far as the schools... I got started in this beacuse my daughter was on the cheerleading team at her High School and they had always done a DVD presentation at the end of the season to be shown at the banquet. Each year using the same company, then I became the team Mom and was totaly amazed at the cost that the team paid and the poor quality of the presentation! So, my husband and I thought we could do a better job! Bad, I know!! But, we looked around, I found this software and was instantly hooked! I have a love for photography as well, and with my husbands knowledge of computers we got going!! That was two years ago, we have done it every year since. :wink:

What I have done for schools... At the high school like I said we do the end of the year DVD for their cheerleading banquet (highlights the season in photos and video of the competitions) also, we now do the baseball team. Same thing as the cheerleaders. This is great because now I have those jobs that I know are coming each year! Yippee!! I have also done for the elementary school a DVD for a Space Camp trip (photos from the 3 day field trip) and a DVD for 5th Grade Day. 5th Grade day was highlights of the year for the 5th graders. I have also done the same type of show for a local church for the last day of their Vacation Bible School. The kids look forward to seeing themselves on the BIG SCREEN! This is also a "regular" job coming in. That has to be a quick turn-around seeing how the photos are just taken that very same week, but certainly can be done! Hope this answered your question.

All have been by word of mouth which is very cool! Like you said the possibilities in a school system seem endless. I have thought about the chorus, band, etc!! Some of the school DVD's are bought at my cost of $15 per DVD and then sold for $20 for a fund-raiser situation. This $15 per DVD is of course the price I give for a bulk order, the numbers work out fine in the end. I am still trying to determine if my pricing is right, but feel like at this point I am still learning. My prices may change in years to come, but for now I think I am okay.

Anyway, you inspire me to get out there. I also think the funeral homes will be a great choice. I think the memorial shows are so special, I would love to be apart of making those last memories special for the family. Again, I would then feel bad for charging them... I know re-read your last post... my work has value! :roll:

Thanks again so much for responding, it is great to know that I can just jump on here and ask away!! I will re-read the posts over and over! Great help!

And thanks Brian for your input too. I am going to up-grade to PSGv3 and check it out. I know, I have been slow lately. I am excited to see what all is offered. I have always been ready to jump on the PSP, it seems to hard to resist. But, I know that it is the "talent" not the product!! See, I am listening and learning Bob!! :o I have sooo much to learn, one day I will be there ready to jump on that PSP with confidence!

Teresa

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:18 pm

Go Teresa!!

Well I would say you have a HUUGGGEEEEEE head start on this..... especially since you were able to see your "competition" and their quality!!! You see you found a niche and filled the need. Now you have to break into paying position.... maybe when your daughter moves on in grades or school is the time that you can start to charge (but of course we should all know that money isn't necessarily the only object here)....

I know this can be hard but you really should prompt folks to send you quick notes of appreciation... from the school from the parents etc... (of course they may already have done that).... this makes a great base for "testimonials".... can't you see it now in your brochure.... "Wow this was the best show ever done!" Mary Mom of xyz town.... or "My child will always have these memories thanks to Teresa" Proud parents of Jane Smith.... Can't you just see that....

Get the principal and coach to write you letters of introduction (undated) so when you approach other schools you have INSTANT credibility!!!

And I'm glad you got the point... your work (actually it is you) have value.... the hard part will be turning the "ata-boys" (opps.. ata-girls)... to income (if that is indeed what you want).... the praise and appreciation can be addicting (and you are helping to make memories and leave a legacy for others to enjoy!!) Way to go!!!

Be careful with funeral homes.... turn-around is RAPID!!! 24-48 hours. You have small B&W pics, faded pics, and even VHS video potentially to work with. You'll end up having to scan the items (since most funeral homes will be lost on this and most families cannot take on that load during this already trying time)... However don't let that scare you because this is another life defining moment that you get to share and make a difference with.... (also a nice thing about funeral homes is they do all the "business" with the family especially if they add it to their package -- sometimes they just make it part of their services so the customer doesn't even know the cost -- you will be competing with others here ...there are several national firms that do these services and offer to set funeral homes up for do-it-yourself or as I call it "drop and load" shows.... This is one time when the shows similarity to others you have done does not nearly matter as much...mainly because of the turn-around time folks don't expect highly customized shows)....

Now as I stated before I think PSP is worth it but Brian makes a very good point.... Now if you have the funds and given you current status you might want to jump on the PSP wagon so you can learn more before jumping in too far... but PSG is certainly powerful enough to do most of the shows.... (why... because it about your creativity not the tool!!!!! But a good tool sure does help)!!!! Ok had to repeat myself....

Take care and keep us posted!!!!

Always glad to help or offer an opinion.... it is exciting to see others succeed!!!!

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:29 pm

images-that-move wrote:Don't do anything for free (now did I just contradict my previous post?) Not really.... when you do "free" shows always try to get something in return... testimonial, letter, signed invoice with a value that you "forgave".... something.... Why... because without something your show was worth "nothing".... I'm not going to spend a lot of time on this one because I'm not sure I could fully put it into words... basically what I learned was if folks don't put anything up (even for a free show) then they don't value it as much and it says neither did you.... because you didn't want anything in return (kind of fits with the saying "there are no free lunch"... people expect that if something is of value (even if it is free) then you want something for it (doesn't have to be money).... Hope this one makes sense....

It did, so much so I think I need to send you a check for consulting services :wink: So, true that when a customer gets something "free" then the perceived value is very different than if it cost something--even something non-monetary. I know that from personal experience but might never would have put together with the idea of doing sorta-free stuff to get started. Bet you turned a fair fraction of those "free" customers into paying ones, too!

Bob, your enthusiasm is refreshing and infectious! Right now I've got so many projects on my list for myself and family that I'm buried for awhile. But everyone of them is something to hone the skills with and creative flow going again. It's funny but my current assignment has me doing or redoing a lot of presentations (PowerPoint of course) and I consistently get a lot of positive feedback--I don't think they're that great but when if you see to the junk mine get compared to, well looked at that way they are good. Key differences, I think, are the fact that I learned the basics of composition taking photos, looking at a presentation as telling a story and a dollop of creativity. Now if I could just get the organization's IT shop to acquire PSP or even PSG but it'll never happen--no imagination there, either. :shock: :?:

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:35 pm

dtpitts wrote:Bob,
You know you could be a great cheerleader! :lol: You do have a way of wording things just perfectly, maybe you should write a book! Dick and I would buy it!

Yes, he could and yes, I would. But it would take time away from what he's already doing and we sure don't want to limit his cheerleading time :wink:

Next

Return to Business Applications