Slides shows & digital photo "stuff" as a busi

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:56 am

Thanks for the comments about my posting.... I get real excited to see folks do well... just a lot of fun to see people grow and expand...

Hey Dick... I always like to contradict my self... it is my split personality... ;-)

Keep doing those projects and honing your skills... your observation about others "shows" and what you do with PSG/P are right on... when compared to the "amateur" (ok I use that loosely).... the shows you create will blow them away... HOWEVER when you come on to a forum like this and show it to others with equal or better skills you can come away a bit discouraged because there is so much great advice and honing done here... BUT DON"T LET IT GET YOU DOWN....

You need to always do two kinds of comparison with your shows... first is the "average" or "non-professional" show (like the guy putting together the PowerPoint show)... that boost your ego and shows your value in the marketplace... then the other comparison is with others having the same (or better) skills -- but are good with a "critical" eye... they provide the "stretch" to improve.... just try not to confuse the two because they really are different... Hope that is clear (probably as mud)... but it is a concept that I keep coming back to (just can't put it in the right words yet).....

I understand about the IT shop and imagination... that highlights my other comment and mantra.... it ain’t the tool it is you..!!! And your comment I think helps to show that.... it is your with the creativity (even a dollop ... but I figure you got more than that)... that will set you apart!!!!!

Take care (and thanks again for the kind words)....

Bob

Postby webcombo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:16 am

Bob,
I have been reading this post for about 30 minutes now and just love this topic!!!! I got started in the "business" 2 years ago after I did a memorial video for my grandpa in a 2 day turnaround using the free Showbiz that comes with some computers, and seeing that there was not a dry eye in the house, even from uncles that I never knew had tear ducts. Then I did a video for my grandma's 75th birthday party (very large party) and had a few people that said that I should do this on the side. Those statements intrigued me, and I decided to go for it. I did trial versions of about every slideshow software out there, and settled on Ulead Video Studio, because it is quite powerful, and very easy to use (time is money, right?) I then put a 1 line add in the phonebook and that generated a few leads that first year. Nothing big. Then, I got a call from a local Catholic radio station that my mom volunteers at, and they wanted me to do a slideshow for their 1st annual "Spirit Award" highlighting the life of a priest that is the last living priest that worked with Fr. Flannigan (Boystown founder). I went to the banquet and they showed the video, amungst a crowd of 300 people that paid $50 a plate for. Needless to say, I had people lining up afterwards wanting to buy copies that I sold for $10/ea, and I didn't even have enough. I traded the creation of the video for advertisement on the radio station. But from that, I got a video that my priest wanted me to make for him, again, for free, which I gladly did for him. Turns out, the foundation that he had me do this for has so many members that were interested in copies of the video that they would pay for, he ordered 61 copies of the video. So your point about doing things for free, can still come back and help you.

This past year, I got in touch with the Dex Yellow pages rep and he set me up with a deal that I get a box that starts out saying that I specialize in slideshows, but also do VHS to DVD transfers and has my website on there for samples. I am in the video production section, but he threw in as part of the deal, for me to get a line in the wedding services section as well. That generated a lot more business than my previous year. I spend about $50/mo on the ad, but am starting to get repeat customers now.

I did a wedding video for a girl that asked me if I could do one similiar to one she saw on the web. I checked out the sample, and realized that I could not do that with my current software. So I did some searching of what she was using, and it turned out to be PSG (or PSP, don't know). That was about 6 months ago and I cannot believe how much better my videos are now. And with the addition of layers in PSG, I really can't see upgrading to PSP, not only for the cost, but because of the time it would take to do some of the "extras", that might not be noticeable enough to warrant the extra time.

I do have my business out of my home. I have every client come to my house, sit at a table, and we go over their pictures, music etc. and then a big time saver for me, was getting my website. Because with the huge server space that I have, I just upload their video to my server, give them a link, and they can download it at the comfort of their home. This is for the proof, of course, and I utilize the ability to only play the video for a certain timeframe. And for some of the people, I put a watermark on all the slides so they won't be tempted to use it. But not having to meet with them multiple times has been a major time saver. I just have them e-mail me any changes they want, that way I have it in written form, can print it out, and just go down the list.

All in all, I can't see getting big enough to quit my full time job, because it just hasn't produced enough income for that. But for extra income to help pay for our 4 kids (ages 6,5,4 and 3months) is AWESOME!!!! I love doing these, and the reactions from the clients are the best part of it.

I totally agree with getting testimonials. I put some of them on my website and will keep adding them as more people send them in. It is a huge benefit to have them. Some people make their decisions based on that (if they like your samples first, of course).

I just want to thank everyone that is on this board that contibutes so much. I work the graveyard shift at a local copy place, and several nights a week, we are slow enough for me to "surf" this board and other sites to hone my skills. I love watching samples of others, just to get some more ideas. this board rocks!!!!

I hope this topic lives on, because I love getting more ideas from people. Thanks to all that have contributed already!!

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:44 am

Webcombo,

FANTASTIC!!!!!! That is great!!! I think you just help prove that it is desire, creativity and drive that makes this work and not the "gee whiz" of a tool (but we know the tool helps and PSG/P rocks!).... I love the way you started out!!!! That is kind of takes the pressure off from "starting" a business... do something for someone else and let the viewers help you decide if this is something you should do.... (also kinds of touches on my comment about two types of critics)...

Wow, your story gets me even more cranked up.... (just have to find where I left those pom-poms :-) )

Here is something interesting.... I don't like to tell someone "don't do this or do this and you'll be successful" because you never know what will work for that person and business. Let me give an example from your story.... I shy away from "yellow page" ads for various reasons.... I probably would recommend not doing it.... BUT then along comes you... and it really appears to be working for you.... This is what I love about the interchange here.... we can always learn.... Same thing about your website.... As Dick found out my website isn't up yet (long story and fight with the web-developer).... I've been hesitant (even though I in process of putting up website) to have a site... didn't think the payback was going to be there.... (I do demos that I hand deliver or send to folks -- one reason for "demos" is it prevents lookers just looking -- I get to get their information and that increase my customer database -- "I get to get" boy my Mama ain't going to like that English)...THEN comes along you that is using the website successfully....(I LOVE IT)....

I agree this probably won't pan out to be a full-timer for the majority of folks BUT I think it could with the right desire and drive....

You also found a payback that is different than just profit and loss.... the reaction... we never can forget that is part of the pay!!! (I know some days it is worth more than money... right???)...

Great testimony here... great ideas....

It is wonderful how this "snowballed" on you....

Take care and keep posting!!!

Bob

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:49 am

Ok here is some questions I have for you all...

There are folks in all stages of this as a business ... from thinking about it, to starting to plan, to jumping in, to actually running it....

So let me try to ask a couple of questions to spark some conversation (so we all can help each other)....

What worries you most about this business?
What holds you back from the next step?
What to you do to maintain you sense of creativity?
What do you dislike about the work (and why)?
What do you love about the work (and why)?

Ok pick one or more of the questions and lets start talking (well ok typing...)...

This will be especially fun since it is unlikely any of us would be "competing" with each other (and the market is so wide open I don't think that would happen even if we lived next door to each other)....

Ok let's go...

Bob

Postby webcombo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:36 pm

Hey Bob,
Coming from someone that has been doing this for pay for about 1 year and a half now (since my first pay client) I will give my answers, which I'm sure will vary from the different stages of business of the people on here.

What worries you most about this business?
It's funny. The initial thought I had about this was competition. More and more people looking for home based opportunities and with software that is so easy to use, it isn't hard to "impress" Aunt Tilda or mother of the bride (in some cases) because as long as she sees her baby girl, growing up, she gets a tear. But then your last comment kind of made me rethink this. About even if we were neighbors, there is still an open market. I think that is very true. Enough people are still not computer literate (as far as graphics and video go), and plenty more just don't have the time or the creativity to do this. And others just have the money to pay professionals to do all their work. So that is a very big plus for us. My other worry would be 25 years from now, will it still be this way. Probably, cause people will probably have less time than they do now. (Society seems to keep getting faster paced as the years go on.)

What holds you back from the next step?
For me the next step would be to quit my job and do this full time. I would have to say that the amount of clients I have isn't anywhere near where I need to be able to sustain my current income at my full time job. Not to mention the 401k and health insurance is so expensive if not working for a "company".

What to you do to maintain you sense of creativity?
I continue to look at shows created by others, along with keeping an eye on commercials from tv to get ideas for certain things that I may be able to do. Along with trying new things within the program. And with the new addition of layers in PSG, that will help all of our creativity even more!!

What do you dislike about the work (and why)?
The only thing that I dislike is during the busy season, I have to spend a lot of the time I usually spend with my kids, on the computer. I get to have them around me, which is great, but still not the attention I would like to give. But that is only for a month or 2 out of the year. That is really the only thing negative.

What do you love about the work (and why)?
To compliment (or contradict) my previous answer, I love the fact that when I am busy, making extra money for the family, I can do it at home, and not having to get a second job, elsewhere, where I have to take the kids to day care. They still get to be in the presence of dad, while mom is at work, and I can take breaks as needed.
Also, the smiles and compliments I get from almost all the customers I have, after they have seen the video. That is one of the greatest joys. But receiving a check for $300 is for sure a great thing as well, because, with the exception of only a few clients that make massive amounts of change, because they changed their mind, I get to get paid to do something that I love doing. Not very many people can say that.

Great questions, Bob. I hope that we will get more people answering them, so we can all take a little piece from everyone.

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:46 am

Webcombo,

I wouldn't worry about competition just yet... I think the market is fairly open... the area of most challenge for me is more on the consumer level -- showing them that they can't do this themselves (either by time, skill, tools, desire, etc)... I really run across few folks that are doing anything similar. Now on the business side... this doesn't seem to be a problem. Once you show the business folks a demo show they seem to jump on this (I think mainly because it gives them visibility -- in other words makes them look good). Because quiet frankly PowerPoint is boring after you have see a few.

Also don't worry about things changing in 25 years... THEY WILL.... I still firmly believe that it isn't the tools but our creativity that folks buy... the tools change... (and this isn't knocking PSP/G because I love them... makes the job so much easier and release my creativity)..

The things that hold you back were interesting.... and I fully understand... but you may have to consider (after careful planning) with the things that are holding you back are you setting yourself up for a catch-22... You'll never go "full-time" without risk and "pain"...(and only you can decide when it is right or financially reasonable)... In other words (of course otherwise I would have just type the same sentence...)... in other words... would you ever expect to grow your business if you cannot do it full-time -- you might have to go swap places or go cold turkey with the "full-time" job... take you current full-time to part-time .... But hey that is a hard decision to be sure... and you should spend serious and abundant time in determining your market to see if it could sustain you.... but your hold back from the next step is common....

Let me ask this another way... what is holding you back from your next step that is within your realm of possibility now...? (maybe that is a different take on it)....

I love what you said about maintaining creativity... "keeping an eye on commercials"... if you can replicate some of those things people will be very impressed and it almost gives you instant credibility... why? (oh you are good with the questions).... if you can pull them off then obviously you level of talent is among some of the best!! I also keep an eye out (well not literally)... for other visual arts... I try to take pictures of all kinds of stuff (from everyday stuff to others artwork)... just having to compose and shoot helps me see shows... Now I haven't done this but I want to start to tinker with doing a couple of shows (just for me)... on ordinary things... like (ok this is real silly) a glass of milk.... (sounds boring doesn't it...) Well that is kind of the point.... how can I make it "unboring" (hey a new entry into the dictionary "unboring")... I think that would be a challenge and it would push me to think of different angles to show (not that a glass of milk really has angles -- it is kind of round)... but maybe you get my point here.... (then you can explain it to me ;-) )...

I had to laugh at your dislike.... "busy season".... now that is a problem ;-) seriously it can get you down if you get swamped... I find with the more pressure on deadlines the worse my "creativity" is.... I need to build more mini templates that help me crank out work when it just has to be done.... most of the templates I have are "full" shows... (which I tear apart when creating something else -- I have a hard time starting on a "blank" screen)... but what I envision is small templates with very specific "routines / looks" that I just copy in a various points.... (it is a workflow issue for me -- just haven't done anything about it yet)....

It is nice to work at home and generally at your own pace.... I like you love to see folks reaction!!! Sometimes that is worth more than the money!!!! (ok did I just say that?)...

Great answers.... I wonder if anyone else will go for them....

What else should we talk about.... marketing / customer service / more areas where we could offer shows? / packaging / workflows?...

Anyway I'll be on and off the forums this week have several "to do"s that I must do....

Take care,

Bob

(you know one day I might just be able to hold back and write a short posting.... yikes I'm long winded or would that be fingered....ahh another day for that questions)....

april

Postby april » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:02 pm

Hi everyone,

What a great topic this is, so much great advice! I'm also hoping to do slide shows as a possible way to make a little extra cash. I've only discovered PSP in the last few months, so I'm still learning. I've done them for some friends and a couple of family members, and they loved them. However, I'm having trouble getting the word out there. I'd be happy to do free shows to start off with, but where do I start? Right now, I don't know anyone with any special events coming up, so where else could I go? I've tried sending a copy of a show to a baby store so that they might display some business cards, but the owner was just getting started and couldn't really help me out at the time. If I had the money, I'd slap down a little money for some advertising, but alas, my pockets are only lined with lint. :oops:

Maybe some advice about where one could offer free services?

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:59 pm

Hi April,

Welcome to the discussion...

First advice is keep playing and practicing with the shows (but hey you knew that... and we love it so.... but look now you can scratch a todo off your list)...

Free shows... they are all over the place.... How about instead of the Baby store trying to show off your stuff.... why not do a show for the Baby store??? Hummmmm that's an odd concept you say.... yep.... see if you can think of a show that would highlight some part or product line of the store.... a show with mothers and pretty babies (ugly ones don't sell many products so stay away from the ugly babies.... ok so there aren't any....)... serious how about just a baby show with various items they sell... again you are trying to help the store owner first (then yourself)... if they like it that's when you hit them up to carry a brochure (or just collect names in a jar) etc... Could even have the owner (once they like your show) offer a "free" show as a drawing prize (or of like those travel / cruise boxes you see every once in a while...--- mainly in pizza pubs... ok I'm a pizza fan...)...

Ok how about this ... go to a dog kennel/pound/ASPCA and see if you can put a show together for them.... show the wonderful animals and how happy folks are with adoptions ... create a puppy tear jerker (oh boy is that a word or don't I know how to spell)....

Remember if you go to businesses you don't want them to do something for you first... you do something for them with the agreement they will do something for you later (if they like what you do for them).... that is a long way to say scratch their back and then let them scratch yours....

How about a local service club (Lions, Optimist, etc.... hey do the Optimist -- how could they see a negative with a free show).... Civic groups or clubs... libraries.... stamp collectors (or collectors of anything...)...

Basically play around with the "free" shows to gain exposure and credibility....

Do you have any adoption agencies? Lots of them already have pictures available....

Ok... what can you come up with now... you know your community better then me.... what mother's group meets in your area? Daycare? Churches with Mothers of Preschoolers?

Your turn...

Take care,
Bob
Last edited by images-that-move on Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:15 pm

Bob -- the real question underneath here seems to me to be: Why would this <person> <company> <organization> need or want a slide show? Questions are the same whether the offer is "free" or not. What do they get out of it, how does it benefit them? If you can answer that, then you've got a marketing tact that should work -- doesn't matter a lot how much, or little, the client is paying.

So, April (anyone else feel free to chime it, too) in one of Bob's examples: what need can we help satisfy for the baby store? how does a slide show help them make sales? And now the creative thinking must begin :idea:
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:31 pm

Dick!!!!!!!! YOU GOT IT!!!!

Absolutely... and you did it in some many fewer words than I did.... (way to go)...!

One caveat... don't necessarily assume (not that anyone was)... that the "customer" knows either (that is -- why they need the show).... You have to tell them why, show them why, prove to them why.... (at least I find that for new customer's especially -- but everyone wants to know the "why buy this" question...even for "free")...

Any of our brochures, sales pitches, websites, marketing materials all need to answer the question Dick raises....!!

But don't count on the "customer" to know it... if you ever want to really learn how to find that need / want... watch a couple of info-mercials... (but please please don't pick up that phone).... they have it down to an art.... especially watch the ones that you know do not remotely interest or apply to you.... (like if you have a head full of hair watch the commercials for growing hair -- that way you won't be tempted to call -- but also see if you all of a sudden have a desire to call... they created a need / want where at first you thought there was none --- that's how get rich quick programs rake in the money....)

Good comment Dick!!!

Ok April I think your next!

Bob

Postby dtpitts » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:50 am

Wow, you guys are fast... but it was fun catching up on the postings from the weekend!

April, here are my thoughts on the free shows. Maybe you can find an area to do a "freebie" that will create you repeat business year after year, if the client likes what you have provided for them :D My repeat business comes from the schools: End of the year sports are great! Most schools have year end banquets that the DVD can be shown, and parents love to have that memory of their kids. Any other yearly activities that can be highlighted in a "Year in Review"... Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts, Neighborhood Swim Teams, county sports leagues, church events, etc... Guess I am thinking if they like what they see, they will be hooked for years to come.

Also, some of my thoughts on some ways to get the word out... I am in the middle of this myself so here are just some thoughts I am thinking about! Maybe having my brochure/buisness card at local travel agencies, bridal shops, hairdresser, etc. My hairdresser is doing that now for an artist in town, her brochure (the artist) is right there in front of the client so it is seen and then conversation starts up (are'nt we always trying to find something to talk about when we are getting our hair cut) so... thought that was a great idea. My thought was if I did this I would give the business owners X amount of the sale or something so they have a vested interest in "talking" about my product! Just a thought...

In my experience (which is not much) :? with advertising is I have put flyers out in my neighborhood and have gotten two jobs from there, from one of those jobs I was able to get the "Year in Review" for the local Elementary School 5th Grade Day. We shall see if I get that business again this year. :o Hope so... But like others say, I think that word of mouth is the best advertising. I did run an ad in the area High School newsletter for $100, with no response. Bummer... I do have a web-site that I think is great just for the purpose of letting people see that you are "real". Also, they can go there to see some sample work and then get prices , etc. My web-site is very simple, I had somebody do this for me when we just started out. So, now it needs to be up-dated. I plan to add "testimonals" and add new shows using the new PSGv3. Also, trying to find maybe a better way to add the demo videos. Guess that can be a whole new thread. I have been not adding my web-site because this talent here is so amazing... :oops: I feel quite inadequate!!! But, I am learning from every DVD that I crank out!!! And having a great time in the process, so go ahead and check it out... Guess with the pom pom action that Bob gives I am branching out! :wink:

www.MemoryMakersDVD.net

I would love feed-back on any ideas that I can do to make the site better. Dick? Bob? Help.... :lol: To my defense... when you watch the demo shows, I was just starting out so nothing fancy going on there for sure... hee,hee,hee...

Anyway, I agree with the thought that if we all throw out ideas we can all help each other! And I certainly agree, the business will come from your local market, so competing with each other is not a problem.

Bob, great questions you posted, I am still thinking of the answers...

Have a great day!!

Teresa
:D

Cindy

Thanks!

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:56 am

WOW
This thread is exhausting, exciting, infectious - my head is whirling! I get so excited when reading on this subject. My true passion is to make this
a "real job". I truly love it. I will continue to read and post a response to of the issues later. Thanks again to all of you for your insight!

Postby dtpitts » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:55 am

Wow to you Cindy! I love your web-site! Simple and to the point, the shows are great! I'm going back to watch more, but just wanted to say... very impressive! :D And the notecards are wonderful too! My other passion is photography so that was fun to see all the great photos. What camera was used for the photos in the first and second slide show? Great crisp photos... I have just gotten a Nikon D-50 (which I was wanting FOREVER) for Christmas, so I am just starting to play around with it. Fun stuff...

Loved the WARNING: GRANDMA WILL CRY!

Looks like you could give us some good advice on this thread... We are listening!!!

Teresa

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:58 am

Thanks Teresa!

Wish I could say that I have the business to back it up - I don't! Just a few paying shows to date - mostly word of mouth, but I am trying. So... I am very interested in this thread as well. I am confident in my abilities, just not sure how to make it happen. I have an OLD HP camera - 850, I think. I, too am dreaming of a new Nikon! Thanks again for the kind words - if I can fool you into thinking I am a pro at this, maybe paying customers will believe in me too. LOL

Here is my latest show for a business client if you are interested in watching :D

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewsho ... 4094&alb=0

Thanks again. Cindy

Postby dtpitts » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:12 pm

Cindy,

Very nice show! Very professional, and yes I think you have the "fooled" part down! :wink: But after viewing your shows, you can certainly tell you know what you are doing! I think we are in the same boat here, love what we do, have the confidence in what we can do... just have to figure out how to get the customers!
After the holidays my plan was to get Memory Makers going stronger, with the help of this forum, and all the great advice and ideas I feel confident it can be done! Keep us posted on the progress and I will do the same!

Thanks everyone for all the help so far!!

Teresa

PreviousNext

Return to Business Applications