Slides shows & digital photo "stuff" as a busi

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Cindy

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:19 pm

What are you doing with Memory Makers Teresa? I have been thinking of finding a way to work with scrapbookers to supplement what they do - are you talking Memory Makers as in the scrapbook company? I have done a lot with digital scrapbooking and have included my digital scrapbook pages as well as scanned paper pages in some of my shows - I worked as a design team member on a few digital scrapbook websites, but it was way too time consuming. We should talk!

Take care, Cindy

Postby dtpitts » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:41 pm

Cindy,

Sorry, that is my business name... Memory Makers Video Montages. But the scrapbooking idea sounds fun. :) Sorry for the confusion.

Teresa
www.MemoryMakersDVD.net

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:52 pm

OOPS, sorry. There is a scrapbook company called Memory Makers too - so sorry! Cindy

april

Postby april » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:39 pm

This is so great! It's like a think tank in here, lol. What great ideas, I'd never even thought of a lot of them. I made a few attempts before, putting signs up on bulletin boards wherever I could find them, although this didn't necessarily get my target audience (when you go for groceries, you're not thinking about what might be on the bulletin board, you're too busy telling yourself not to forget the eggs). Also made a few business cards with no takers. I think it's a lot to do with the mindset; I'm not a real brave person, not someone who can approach someone very easily, I guess I just need a confidence boost. I did think about the SPCA, as they sometimes bring the animals to our mall, but I went in there to pick out a dog for my parents, and being a total dog lover, I came back out in tears, lol.

I love the websites, they're great! I've added all your great ideas to my "ideas for a slideshow business" notebook. I think I was looking at it the wrong way. I see now how the better concept is to do a favor first, then maybe get one in return.

Any stories on how you all got your first official customer?

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:38 pm

dtpitts wrote:I would love feed-back on any ideas that I can do to make the site better. Dick? Bob? Help.... :lol: To my defense... when you watch the demo shows, I was just starting out so nothing fancy going on there for sure... hee,hee,hee...

Teresa,

I like your website... it's clean the links work and the information is clear... Since there are a 1002 ways (or more) to generate a website and tons and tons (ie. a whole lot)... I'm sure there are a lot of opinions on restructuring, adding fancier stuff, etc... I tend to be fairly simplistic... You have already identified the major area (in my mind) and that is fresh updated shows that demonstrate your current level of work.... (so get busy...)...

One marketing item (website, brochures, business cards, yellow page ads etc...)... find a way to keep track of where you get your leads from... depending on who you are going for as a customer will depend on how you market... consumer vs. business (and each of those could be broken down in to sub-groups)....

This next comment alludes to what has already been discuss in part about needs/benefits kind of stuff.... Do the newspaper writer questions... who, what, when, where, how, why...... each of your marketing materials has to address these questions (all in varying details) ... and they not only have to address you potential customer needs but you too.... BUT (and this is a big one... and that is why I have a New Years resolution to loose weight ---- ok bad humor --- because good humor would be against my diet).... BUT... you must answer the who and the why before getting to the other questions..... basically the who and the why will drive the what, when, where, and how questions..... the last for questions are "form" questions that can truly only be decided one you know who it is that you are marketing too and why are you marketing to them (another words their needs and wants)....

Does this make sense to you? (sometimes I wonder if I make sense to me).... seriously this is the basis of all marketing training (folks will use different terminology but it really boils down to those questions with who and why being the foundation)....

Ok another round?

Bob

images-that-move

Re: Thanks!

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:41 pm

Cindy wrote:This thread is exhausting, exciting, infectious - my head is whirling!

Sounds like we are making Cindy sick :shock:

I'm exhausted too... hard to keep up with all my ramblings....

But before continuing just take two asprins and step away from the keyboard...

Cindy, This is a very fun topic for me.... and enjoy all the potential possibilities that we could have in front of us....

Take care (and thanks for letting me kid you..... ha ha ... like you had some choice....)

:wink: Bob

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:49 pm

Cindy wrote:- if I can fool you into thinking I am a pro at this, maybe paying customers will believe in me too. LOL

CINDY!!!!! if you have gotten paid you are a pro!!!!!!! And your comment is loaded with truth!!!! Marketing this service is all about preceptions.... it is not only visual but deeply emotional.... so if their eyes see "pro" work... YOU ARE A PRO!!!!! And as I've said in other postings be careful when you compare what folks here say (because we have a extra critical -- in a good way -- eye) The folks here are knowledgeable and capable with creating shows so they are more aware of "faults" and "challenges".... but the average person (as if there is someone average) doesn't ... they only go by what their eyes see....

So folks here are almost like a "peer" review or "pro" review... as opposed to your typically customer... Reviews from folks here improve your skills == customer reviews improve your marketing (kind of a generalization I know but basically true)...

So from now on you are a "pro".... let's say it together.... "I am a pro".... one more time..... ahhhh there you go.... now walk around the house saying that a few times a day.... (you'll either start believing it or have visitation hours....)

Bob

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:01 pm

Hey everyone...

I post questions previously... but let's help get things going here....

How about naming the first three priorities (actions) that you need to make the "next step" to start, continue or change your business... (no matter where you are along the process of your business)....

I'll go first....

1- develop a consistent "branding" of my items... I've chosen a name but haven't intergrated my marketing materials to make a unified message

2- narrow down my market to only two specialty areas to focus my marketing efforts (and track results)

3- make at least 1 contact and pitch for my services each week for 6 weeks (at least one is for a "free" show based on number 2)

(yep none of my priorities are based around the tool but around the business. === why is that... I can easily find time for playing with the tool and shows but have to push myself in putting the business side into action)...

Ok how about any of y'all....

(and if you can't come up with any how can we help prompt you....)

By the way anyone write a business plan (even a rough one)? Just wonder how many folks are putting their thoughts of a business in an organized structure (I do this a lot ... drives my poor wife crazy... we have to plan the plan to plan on planning.....at least that's the plan we have)....

Bob

Postby webcombo » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:56 am

Hello Bob, and the rest of you all,
Just was at work and wanted to write in to my favorite topic on this board. First off, I want to reiterate Bob's point about us being "pro's". You hit the nail on the head. There have been proofs that I have sent out to clients that didn't include any photo editing (I use the color correction and remove dust tool and resize every picture in Photoshop after I scan them in) Some I didn't even use the pan and zoom. It was just title pages, and the pictures, and that alone, to most clients, is emotional. They are seeing these pictures, some of which are so small that it is hard to see detail on, blown up and right in front of them. And it touches their emotions just seeing their mom and dad, or daughter or son in the different stages of life. Now, because we are pro's, we don't stop there. We add a personal and professional touch by panning and zooming and fading out, and using as little "crazy" transitions as possible (cross fade is our friend) and that just makes them go to pieces.
I have done about 20 shows for pay in the last year and a half, and can honestly say that I have never had a client that didn't say amazing, kind words when picking up their final DVD. Cause most of them have at least seen a final proof on the computer and know what it will look like. I take my final video into Ulead VideoStudio 10 and make customized menus for the DVD as well (although I just recently saw that PSG has some pretty cool ones, that more fit with some of our themes of graduation, sports, baby etc. Might have to check into that more) So what we have on this forum, is exactly what Bob said. We are peers, looking for flaws, and have no emotion or memories attached to the photos we are viewing. So we look at it in a different way than the customer does.
As far as making the next step, I got a hold of my daughter's school today and got the name and phone number of the room mom in charge of the 8th grade class, and since I went to grade school there, I know they do end of the year slideshows for the 8th graders. So now, I just need advice on how to go about getting the business. I made a seperate post here http://www.itsmygallery.com/ProShow/vie ... php?t=2444 with questions on how to go about doing that. If any of you reading this have any advice or experience, that would be great. My goal is this. Make money from the parents ordering a copy of the DVD, but not charge an upfront charge. Here is my reasoning. I had a client that told me that in 6th grade, when her daughter left that school to go to junior high, they did a slideshow. She was in charge of ordering it and went through a local place that has a good name for themselves. She said it cost $20 per video, and that was on VHS. She said at least 50 parents ordered one. Imagine that. Doing 1 slideshow and making $1000. Now, I think I would have to compete with the charges, and maybe go down to $15/per, but that would still be $750. I have access to a DVD duplicator that I can use for free, and work at a printing place that I can make the DVD covers for pretty cheap. So that is the market I am going for and if any of you are doing the same, please post and let us know what is working, and what isn't.

Another idea is this. If you haven't made a logo for yourself, here is what I did. There was a lady I worked with who's daughter was in graphic design school. She was quite good, and I told her the name of my business, what colors I wanted to work with (1 color and 1 black, cause it is cheaper to print business cards that way) and she came up with about 8 different logos for me to choose from. Now, it took her several months, cause she was working on it on the side, but I wasn't complaining. When I got the ones narrowed down to about 4, I sent them off to friends and family, and they voted, and came up with my logo. It is a vector graphic, which she gave me the native file, and I can now use that for any print I want. Cost? $35. That is all she wanted cause she felt bad that she really was just a student, and not in the professional market yet. So I would start asking around and seeing if someone knows someone, who knows someone that is in school, and I bet they would love the challenge. And even $50 for a college student to do what they love is pretty awesome.

I hope we can continue this post for quite some time. But don't forget to check out the other posts in this section. Some of us may be asking questions, that you may be able to help answer. hint hint :-)

Take care all,

Rob

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:54 am

Rob,

Well said very well said regarding the "pro" status.... (and really I mean it ... not just because you agreed with me....ha ha)

You touched on a very very important point... EMOTIONS!!! I find both on the commercial customers and consumers it is about EMOTIONS (of course we don't want blubbering business folks at a meeting but... we do want to get folks excited and pumped up)...

This is one reason I lean toward semi-custom demos (not from scratch everytime but have several shows that target your audience)... For example (and this will be obvious I know...)... have a demo for weddings, one for a memorial, another for business presentation (be careful if you use work from another contract or event -- don't show stuff the original customer wouldn't want public).... but I think you get my drift (... first I'm leaning now I'm drifting.... I'm going to get sea-sick)....

Rob is so right.... about when it is the customers pictures (that even includes business customers)... when it is the customer's stuff even our worst show is awesome.... My first paid show, when I look at it now, is awful.... (well not really because I got paid :D ).... but it surely wasn't as polished as it could have been.... the show was for a non-profit for at risk children and disabled adults... (talk about emotions).... but it wasn't about the work it was about how they were going to run the "business" side of the organization (sound boring -- well sort of) .... to my delight... they are still talking about the show.... and wanted me to put parts of it together to show to potential donors... ... so what is all this apparent bragging about..... it is about EMOTIONS.... if it didn't have an EMOTIONAL impact it would have been long forgottened (after all it was a business presentation -- hohumm)... BUT THAT is exactly what we are selling.... that is exactly what we are creating ... and that is exactly what our tools are to be used for....EMOTIONS (and you help to bring out the emotion that you believe the customer feels ALREADY.... so you are just re-enforcing what they already "feel".... they can't help but love it.... )

Want to bag a few more customers I think I have an idea that might work.... (just call 1-800-my-idea for details and have your credit card or check ready... operators are standing by.....)..... Ok fooling around..... (hey just one side note.... do you think the operators ever get tired? --- ok think about that one and groan later)... Now back to our regular programming....

The idea is to truly do a quick custom demo using the customer's sample pictures..... here is what I envision this would look like... (somebody try this -- I'm going to also and let us know if you do and how it works...).... Find the potential customer (in other words step out your front door and look)... then offer your services BUT tell them you would like to "prove" "show" "demonstration" (ok I'll put the thesaurus down).... by getting a 1/2 dozen or more pictures so you can show them with their pictures what you want them to buy... Now of course (if this works) we would have templates for the type of show already made up (and until we prove this approach works for ourselves we just do a one-off demo show -- if it works a couple times maybe we start setting up demo templates to make it quick and less labor intensive -- but for now we are just testing a marketing approach -- also just generic music that fits the "emotion" would work)....

Ok now you have a custom demo (not a long show -- a minute to minute and a half) You can show your other demo material at the same time... actually I would show some of my off-the-shelf demo stuff -- have their customer piece in the middle -- followed by some more of my stuff.... I think this might work because it will help push the person into saying ... "Hey Bob, that is great... I don't want you to get rid of my pictures ... please please finish my show and here are the rest of my 1,314 pictures....oh and here ... just fill-in the check for what you'd charge because you are so wonderful Bob"..... (gosh I just love it when customers talk to me like that....)

Now caution ... I haven't tried this but it was swishing around in my head and I think it has some potential (not my head the idea -- gosh some of you are really silly).... This might be a bit more up front time for some.... but if you are just starting out this might be a good "proving" ground for folks to trust you and get your word of mouth going.... I guess this is kind of an off take on doing "free" shows.....

Rob... awesome idea about doing upfront work to sell a per unit item (but dont' sell you item short.....) Also, please don't forget to play the mental pricing game... if you want a couple extra bucks use the 99cent trick.... (not really a trick like you would do with cards)... what seems cheaper.... $14.99 or $15? (of of a sudden you are feeling $14.99 is really a bit lower don't you)... now how about $15 or $17.99 .... (gosh did you think it was only a couple of bucks higher? ) but $17.99 seems a whole lot lower than $20.... Studies have show that 4 out of 5 dentist fall for this.....

Great thread comments Rob....

Hey you need to talk to Teresa about schools ... I think she has a corner on that market ... from what I've heard... she is a "pro" and "expert" in the area .... RIGHT Teresa!!!! (because you are out there doing it!!!!!)

OK foks --- don't sell you self short (unless you are under 4 feet).....

Bob

Postby dtpitts » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:44 am

Bob, I swear you totally crack me up! :lol: Me expert? Now that is truly something to laugh at.. but I am always willing to share anything that I have information on. I think this thread has got us all pumped up to go forward in our "business plan" and the fact that we have each other to bounce ideas off of will benefit us for sure! I feel like I need to get going with my thoughts and let all of you know how it is going... Kinda like be on a diet with a group of friends... we are all trying together and waiting for results from each other. Fun stuff...

Anyway, I have posted some of my thoughts on the thread that Rob has created about schools. Hope this helps, it is just what is working for me at this time. I do think the schools are a good choice to focus your attention on to maybe get started and get the word out about what you do. Lots more than I thought did these types of "Year in Review" shows.

Now I think I need to go make a "business plan"...

Teresa
:)

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:07 am

Hey I was serious about you being an expert.... since you have done it you have experience... expert is a person willing to share their experience.... therefore... you are an expert...!!!

I'm a big fan of plans (but big fans do blow lots of air... :roll: humm I think I just insulted myself...)

Really a plan doesn't have to be elaborate or perfectly typed (or typed at all) but something written down to help keep your thoughts organized.... (as you can tell I tend to be all over the map so I need to write things down so I don't get more lost then I already am -- now if I can only find my pen)....

You know the saying...."If you fail to plan you plan to fail"...... great saying that doesn't make a bit of sense to me.... if I fail to plan then I wouldn't have a plan... got that...ok.... but then I'd have a plan to fail... which means I have a plan.... which means.. oh never mind... I'll keep looking for the pen...

Teresa, you have a great entry into the market place!!! You have found a source of shows and people willing to buy them....!!! You are on your way... This is so cool!!!!

Take care,

Bob

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:08 am

Bob, you should be an inspirational speaker! Thanks for the boost everyone!

:idea: I have been compiling a list of ways to market, different possible venues, customer bases, etc. for several months now. Some are new, some are not. I would be happy to share because I think we can all feed off each other. I originally was a little hesitant to do so - feeling a little competitive, ya know? :oops: But now I realize that my best possibilities are local, so.....

Question: should we all post these ideas here or in a new thread?
Question: would everyone be willing to share their ideas?
Question: do I now look like a jerk because I didn't share everything initially? :oops:

What do ya think?
Have a great day. Cindy

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:37 am

First NO you now do not look like a jerk because you didn't share..... no no no.... never... you were smart until not sharing until you thought about it....

My thought about posting ideas is to just list out the ideas here then lets agree to take one (into its own thead) and explore its possibilities (but I'm open)....

I certainly don't mind sharing my ideas :shock: -- like you all are surprised.... (this is just too fun)....

and you last question of "what do ya think".... well right now I'm thinking about breakfast and another cup of coffee (but I'm fairly sure you weren't meaning this literally)

Keep this all going...!!!

Bob

Postby dtpitts » Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:22 am

:lol:
I know.... Bob should be a motivational speaker!! Not that we want you to go away Bob, you are keeping us motivated and ready to take those next steps! Thanks!!!!

Cindy, I too was wondering if sharing was the best idea, but after reading for awhile, it is certainly a "local business", so we can all help each other. And I have never been good at keeping secrets ... I am wide open. :? Not always good, but whatever...

I am still trying to get that "plan" put together. Also, trying to get a brochure put together. I have a neighbor that is a graphic designer, so we trade "job favors". No cost, good stuff! She does my graphic work for flyers and now this new brochure and I take family photos for her or put together a photo montage.

Okay, now that our twins are back at college from the holidays, I can really get going on this... More later, I can't wait to see these list of ideas.

Teresa
:)

PreviousNext

Return to Business Applications