Slides shows & digital photo "stuff" as a busi

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
cfeather

I'd like to jump in

Postby cfeather » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 am

I love this discussion and forum. The people here are so friendly and helpful, unlike some other forums. Thank you moderator for providing this.

I am sitting at a job I hate. Boring. Unchallenging. But I'm the sole bread winner/insurance provider, so I'm stuck here. But all day, I dream about stuff I could be doing to make money with PSP.
My day job is a newspaper writer/photographer/editor. Two years ago, I did a year-long series documenting the life in our community on its 200th anniversary. I put out a 3-DVD set, 150 minutes, based upon this work. I sold about 150 sets; I could have sold more if the newspaper would have gotten behind the project and marketed it, but they didn't see any value in it.

I'm thinking of taking the business into some new directions this year with the hopes that, combined with wedding photography and freelance writing, I can bail out before my employer folds up:
1. Living Obituaries. That is, combining the words that appear in the newspaper obit with illustrative photos of the person's life. Please don't steal this idea! I am working on a prototype to shop to area funeral directors.
2. We live in a tourist area, and I am developing a DVD that extols the area's scenic and recreational attractions. I plan to offer it to the local tourism bureau for purchase and distribution to prospective tourists.
3. We have 16 covered bridge in this county and the longest in the U.S. is being built here. I'm putting out a show about the existing bridges and will do one of the new one as it is built.
4. Screen savers of the area are being developed, as well.
5. Local historical societies usually have sizeable collections of photographs. They also have funding problems. Why not get those collections onto DVDs that tell the story of the area; you produce the show, they sell the DVDs for you with a mark up. How sweet is that?
6. New home builders. Document construction of a client's house, then the builder can give a DVD of it as a housewarming gift to the owner.

As you can see, I have some ideas for these things, but not the time or energy when I get done at this brain-numbing job. More ideas than money.

Photodex member feathermm
Two demo shows here: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/memberbrowsego.html

cfeather

I'd like to jump in

Postby cfeather » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:10 am

I love this discussion and forum. The people here are so friendly and helpful, unlike some other forums. Thank you moderator for providing this.

I am sitting at a job I hate. Boring. Unchallenging. But I'm the sole bread winner/insurance provider, so I'm stuck here. But all day, I dream about stuff I could be doing to make money with PSP.
My day job is a newspaper writer/photographer/editor. Two years ago, I did a year-long series documenting the life in our community on its 200th anniversary. I put out a 3-DVD set, 150 minutes, based upon this work. I sold about 150 sets; I could have sold more if the newspaper would have gotten behind the project and marketed it, but they didn't see any value in it.

I'm thinking of taking the business into some new directions this year with the hopes that, combined with wedding photography and freelance writing, I can bail out before my employer folds up:
1. Living Obituaries. That is, combining the words that appear in the newspaper obit with illustrative photos of the person's life. Please don't steal this idea! I am working on a prototype to shop to area funeral directors.
2. We live in a tourist area, and I am developing a DVD that extols the area's scenic and recreational attractions. I plan to offer it to the local tourism bureau for purchase and distribution to prospective tourists.
3. We have 16 covered bridge in this county and the longest in the U.S. is being built here. I'm putting out a show about the existing bridges and will do one of the new one as it is built.
4. Screen savers of the area are being developed, as well.
5. Local historical societies usually have sizeable collections of photographs. They also have funding problems. Why not get those collections onto DVDs that tell the story of the area; you produce the show, they sell the DVDs for you with a mark up. How sweet is that?
6. New home builders. Document construction of a client's house, then the builder can give a DVD of it as a housewarming gift to the owner.

As you can see, I have some ideas for these things, but not the time or energy when I get done at this brain-numbing job. More ideas than money.

Photodex member feathermm
Two demo shows here: http://www.photodex.com/sharing/memberbrowsego.html

Valued Member

List of ways to market

Postby photoshowstudio » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:21 pm

Cindy wrote:Bob, you should be an inspirational speaker! Thanks for the boost everyone!

:idea: I have been compiling a list of ways to market, different possible venues, customer bases, etc. for several months now. Some are new, some are not. I would be happy to share because I think we can all feed off each other. I originally was a little hesitant to do so - feeling a little competitive, ya know? :oops: But now I realize that my best possibilities are local, so.....

Question: should we all post these ideas here or in a new thread?
Question: would everyone be willing to share their ideas?
Question: do I now look like a jerk because I didn't share everything initially? :oops:

What do ya think?
Have a great day. Cindy

Did anyone start a new thread of people's ideas to market. I saw a few responses here, but not many. I too am a very new member to this group and have used PSP for about a year now. I have done some projects "just for me" and a memorial for my aunt who passed away. I saw those eyes of the people at her home, how loved her, and although I was the creator of the show and had seen it over and over again, I started to cry myself seeing their response to it. It was sad, but one of the most beatiful moments I have ever experienced. I work, as most of us do, and have this as a business on the side. I've become a little discouraged with the lack of customers, only one so far that was a viewer of that show for my aunt. I have done a few "free" shows for people and am actually forking on one now of a church kindergarten group that sang at a radio station and we all took pictures so I am building a show around that. Some of the words are hard to hear due to some of the kids mumbling, but that's why we have captions, huh?? I am using the captions as a form of "sing-along".

Anyway, I have an extremely limited amount of money, so marketing needs to be very strategic as to not waste money, so I am looking for whatever help I can get. I created my own free logo form cooltext.com, and gather as much info as I can from other sources. Because i am not tech savvy, I have "hired" my brother to my my tech dept and give him 10% of any money I make. So far...he's workin for peanuts!! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Previous

Return to Business Applications