stop clients from copying dvds

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Esteemed Member

stop clients from copying dvds

Postby shazmark » Sun Dec 31, 2006 1:33 am

Hi everyone I am very new to this and I hope you can help me.
I am wondering how I can somehow stop people from copying my dvds by some sort of branding, I hope that is the appropriate word for it........... I have a client at the moment whom I create dvds for she is thinking of paying me for extra copies, but she says she will maybe copy them herself, I would rather charge for extra copies myself does anyone know if this is possible
tnx
shazmark

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:15 am

There's really no way to stop people from copying our DVDs. There are free programs on the internet that can copy commercial DVD movies that are using the expensive state of the art copy protection, so those programs could copy our DVDs with no problem no matter what we do.

I just let my clients make as many copies as they want and don't worry about it. Some clients don't want to deal with copying so they order additional copies from me.

Mike S.

Valued Member

copy right cd's

Postby mklaugh » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:31 am

Question for you. Are you using Gold or Producer? If you are using Producer then there is a copy right protection that you can put on the cd's so no one can copy.

Maureen

Postby nannybear » Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:00 pm

I use "Lightscribe" DVD's with regulation DVD Covers. I have clients that think they will just burn their own but when they see how awesome it looks they buy the copies from me instead. Cheers Jan
http://www.janstephens.com or http://www.oilswithjananddonna.com/
Graphic Design, Essential Oils, Click and Grow gardening, Cooking and Merge Dragons - PSP latest - Adobe Creative Cloud Suite
You can find me on Facebook, come visit!!

Esteemed Member

Postby shazmark » Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:06 pm

hi everyone, happy new year to you all :D tnx so much for your replies it is greatly appreciated.
In answer to your question maureen
yes I have psp and how do I go about it please? Because my client hasnt got the software or the time to copy them so I would like to just put one stumbling block there antyway
tnx again
shaz
the beter half of mark

Valued Member

Postby mklaugh » Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:10 pm

I just was looking at the manual. Look on page 183 that is the best I can do for you. I have not done it myself but I had read on the photodex that you could that is why I had answered you.

Maureen

Ladybug

Re: stop clients from copying dvds

Postby Ladybug » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:01 pm

shazmark wrote:Hi everyone I am very new to this and I hope you can help me.
I am wondering how I can somehow stop people from copying my dvds by some sort of branding, I hope that is the appropriate word for it........... I have a client at the moment whom I create dvds for she is thinking of paying me for extra copies, but she says she will maybe copy them herself, I would rather charge for extra copies myself does anyone know if this is possible
tnx
shazmark

Hi again!

I put a tiny .png watermark logo down in the corner of every slide plus an animated logo beginning and ending. In my disclaimer I also say the making copies is illegal. I let clients know that copying is illegal but that I will burn copies and label and put in a hard cover for a reasonable fee, like $10. It looks nicer and is less of a hassle for them! Just make sure they are on the right format DVD. If you have branded your production, the more people that see it, the better! Lightscribe is great too....really looks professional.

Good Luck!
Lady :D

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:36 pm

Folks, it's your business, so you do what you think right and best for your business.

But here's a reaction from someone who might have been a potential customer. First, I gotta tell you that if I were a prospective client, I'd be very turned off by having your logo on all the slides and logo start/finish on top of that. Especially if they were my pictures, if they are yours, I'd have to tolerate it but I wouldn't like it! A credits slide somewhere is appropriate but otherwise I'd object to such things--doesn't mean you can't do it, just means I might decide not to be a customer.

Oh, and telling me that its illegal to copy the DVD I paid for would not go down well at all. That's a mighty strong statement. Without having a lawyer review the language in your contract, I can't comment specifically but you'll need very careful, very specific contractual language to make that stand up. Even then "fair use doctrine" vs. your contract would be an interesting case. Not that it would be likely matter because as a practical matter, it's unenforceable--you can't stop the client, you can't afford to do anything about it if they do, and if you pursue it, you're going to have a very hard time showing how the client has damaged your business.

So, yes, you can do these things, but why?? FWIW, the situation seems to me that you are running the risk annoying a potential customer to the point that they don't buy at all--for too little return even in the best case. In my opinion, Nannybear's got the right attitude--give the customer a positive, value-added reason to get the copies they want from you. Negatives and threats don't seem to have a good cost/benefit ratio to me.

Like I said it's your business, do what you think right and best for your business.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Ladybug

Postby Ladybug » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:37 am

DickK wrote:Folks, it's your business, so you do what you think right and best for your business.

But here's a reaction from someone who might have been a potential customer. First, I gotta tell you that if I were a prospective client, I'd be very turned off by having your logo on all the slides and logo start/finish on top of that. Especially if they were my pictures, if they are yours, I'd have to tolerate it but I wouldn't like it! A credits slide somewhere is appropriate but otherwise I'd object to such things--doesn't mean you can't do it, just means I might decide not to be a customer.

Oh, and telling me that its illegal to copy the DVD I paid for would not go down well at all. That's a mighty strong statement. Without having a lawyer review the language in your contract, I can't comment specifically but you'll need very careful, very specific contractual language to make that stand up. Even then "fair use doctrine" vs. your contract would be an interesting case. Not that it would be likely matter because as a practical matter, it's unenforceable--you can't stop the client, you can't afford to do anything about it if they do, and if you pursue it, you're going to have a very hard time showing how the client has damaged your business.

So, yes, you can do these things, but why?? FWIW, the situation seems to me that you are running the risk annoying a potential customer to the point that they don't buy at all--for too little return even in the best case. In my opinion, Nannybear's got the right attitude--give the customer a positive, value-added reason to get the copies they want from you. Negatives and threats don't seem to have a good cost/benefit ratio to me.

Like I said it's your business, do what you think right and best for your business.

Dick,
Thank you very much for your unsolicited critique. :shock: First of all, I didn't think I was being negative. I too, think lightscribe and added value is great. I think you misinterpreted how I said it and it's too bad. Frankly, I think YOU were rather rude and insulting and the person being negative. :( I've never seen an attitude like that on these forums before. You are right, you don't run my business and apparently out here where I do business, people are different.

However, it's been working great for me. All the Motion Picture companies have their intros. You know 20th Century, etc. etc. All movies have credits and disclaimers at the end. My watermark logo is so small that you don't even see it unless you are looking for it. Hopefully the audience is caught up in the production, not my watermark. Professional photographers have their 'branding' tools as well. In fact, most all professionals do. PSP 2.6 and 3 both have the capabilities to add watermarks. I wonder why they would do that if no one needed it or used it? Marketing a product is all bout 'branding'. All of my marketing tools and products were previewed by my attorney, my business mentor, and many successful business people, all with praise and approval. My business is very successful. My customers don't complain. In fact, they comment on how professional it looks. I get tons of referral business. The customer has paid for my professional time and talent and one DVD. I OWN the copyright to the production, itself, not the customer, unless I release it to them. I'm not going to chase people down, it's on the contract and check list if they want to purchase copies. Good grief! Do you think I would bother to sue someone over copies? That's ridiculous! If the customer DOES make his own copies, then people will still know who made it because it will be branded and the more people that see it the better. BTW, the statement about copies is casually mentioned in the Fair Use Act music disclaimer in the ending credits. (you will probably want to argue about that now, too.) It makes an inference that reminds people. Just like at the beginning of every DVD you buy.

Photographers own the pictures they take of me & my event and don't give me gratis to copy whatever I want. I pay for extra copies. Rightfully so. The photographer has spent time and expertise and it's their business.

BTW, did I say I had an attorney!? Sounds like you think you are one.

So, obviously you wouldn't be one of my customers. That's ok. There are tons who are.

Isn't there something you'd rather be doing on New Year's than ranting and insulting me about MY business?
Happy New Year, anyway.

LadyBug

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:35 am

Sorry you find my comments rude, they weren't intended that way nor do I think they are. There is nothing insulting at all in my comments. Your comment on what I choose to do and when is another matter. My comments are clearly stated as my opinion, my personal reaction to statements made in part by you, apparently as advice to the original poster. I see no reason that person shouldn't hear another opinion.

No, I'm no lawyer, but I've had more exposure to contracts law and copyright issues than I'd like. And because I'm not a lawyer, I've learned to be careful about using words like "illegal." My comments are not intended as a legal advice or opinion--just experience-based advice from one business person to another. If I have made a factual error in my statements, I'd be happy to hear it and correct it.

In my own business I've learned the hard way that my customer's reaction to what I do (or don't do) is dangerous to ignore--choose to do nothing about maybe--but not ignore, especially when their reaction isn't what I want or expect. Maybe my reaction to what you're doing isn't typical but it was my reaction.

Like I said twice, it is your business, not mine, so do what you think is right. No offense meant. You may be within your rights to do everything you said. And I'm within mine to tell you what I think of it.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Esteemed Member

Postby G » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:21 am

A couple of things from "my opinion".

1. You can't physically stop anyone from copying a dvd. Copy protection used by the MPI can be bypassed.

2. I didn't see anything ranting or insulting in dickk's post. Just his opinions on the subject. We need to have thicker skins when we're posting "our opinions"!

3. If we're going to resort to personal attacks, I wish we could take it to the yahoo proshow group where it abounds! Or send a personal message directly to that person. This community has been refreshing for the respect all members show each other.

G
"Life is like a shower, one wrong turn and you're in hot water"

Mike S.

Postby Mike S. » Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:17 pm

Mike S. wrote:There's really no way to stop people from copying our DVDs. There are free programs on the internet that can copy commercial DVD movies that are using the expensive state of the art copy protection, so those programs could copy our DVDs with no problem no matter what we do.

I just let my clients make as many copies as they want and don't worry about it. Some clients don't want to deal with copying so they order additional copies from me.

Shazmark,

To add to my first post, my suggestion is to charge enough for your slideshow services so you will be happy with your profit with no additional copies ordered by the client. My estimate is that 90% of my clients don't order additional copies and everyone who wanted additional copies within that 90% are making copies themselves. I've even had clients ask me if they can make copes or just mention that they could make copies themselves when I ask them if they want to order additional copies when they deliver their photos. My response is it's fine for them to make as many copies as they want so long as they don't sell them and it's for the receipient's personal use only.

In the days of VHS copies, I did not want clients to make copies of their VHS copy because of the bad picture degradation for each generation copied. It made my output look bad. But with DVDs, there is no picture degradation so clients copying their slideshows are fine with me. I'm happy to get their repeat business and their referrals and many new clients can be generated from recipients of the copies they make. Maybe look at it as the "ebay effect". They are doing the work making the copies to advertise your business for you and make you money... :wink:

Mike S.

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Here is another possible way (I have been doing this recently for my consumer customer ... haven't determined yet if this is fully working the way I intend).... When I price my work I just make sure I have enough cost to cover 10 copies of the DVD above the order price (cost being about $3 per DVD copy -- may be low but that is a different discussion -- so it gives me a added $30 cost to my overhead or budget to work with if copies are requested).... When I deliver the DVD(s) to the client I let them know I am willing to provide free copies over the next year, all they have to do is call and ask (and provide me with the name and address of the person they want to recieve the copy).... Ok now I have a name and address for my customer mailings (and no I don't bug the daylights out of folks with unsolicited mail).... Why do I do this... one for me it gives me a potential contact and future client that already appreciates (most likely) the product.... second it ensures quality (that represents my business)... third the clients seem to really be surprised at this offer and feels it is a real value add (from the feedback I've gain) (oh and so far in a little under six months I've only made two copies -- one each for different clients).... and I'm sure I could think of more reasons this is a reasonable offer...

Another thing to keep in mind, most of the shows that consumers want will have a "short" shelf life (or excitement life).... how many of us have really pulled out our wedding albums or videos etc... to watch again....? AND decided that they wanted a copy to give someone after only a few months let alone a whole year?.... so it appears to the client to be a generous offer without a lot of expense.

By the way if you do something like this you MUST ensure you keep good records and copies of your work either as a master DVD (which I do along with backup of material that created show) or the data that creates the show.... I have done this because early on I have offered a lifetime replacement policy that if the original DVD ever becomes damaged they just return it and I will provide them with a new one (again this is really a low cost guarentee that goes a long way with many of my clients)...

Ok more than was asked.... but the price wasn't all that bad .... ;-)

Have fun....

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:21 pm

images-that-move wrote: I have done this because early on I have offered a lifetime replacement policy that if the original DVD ever becomes damaged they just return it and I will provide them with a new one (again this is really a low cost guarentee that goes a long way with many of my clients)...
Ok more than was asked.... but the price wasn't all that bad .... ;-)
Have fun....
Bob

Both are great ideas, Bob. :) I've added them to my file of "do-this-if-you-ever-start-this-kind-of-business" file. Do you have any idea how often you've actually
-- made copies or
-- had to make good on the replacement policy?
Dick

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:52 pm

Hey Dick,

I've only made 2 copies (on the 1 year copy policy) for two different customers (one each)... been a little less than 6 months since I've start offering that... so I'm way ahead on this.... I believe it has bought a lot of good will from the comments I've heard when I "reveal" the offer to provide extra copies for 1 year.... Since this is working out, so far, to my advantage (cost wise but not adding to my client contacts) I may send a reminder out that they can get some additional "free" copies or...(and I haven't thought this through yet.... offer a "discount" on the next show since they haven't taken advantage of the copy offer) Bottom line I wasn't as interested in preventing copies as I was in generating more business...... (because I'm fairly sure someone somewhere has made a copy)

As for the lifetime replacement. In about 2 years of offering it.... -- none.....

Now, I have had to fight a couple of compatibility problems where a client's set-top player would not run the DVD but that really is part of the lifetime replacement guarentee.... those problems are early on and were usually solved by re-burning onto different media with different settings or burner (software or hardware)... in one extreme case I went and bought a WalMart discount special DVD player and gave it to the client (I think it was $39 or $49 -- kind of funny that the cheap ones always seem like they will play just about anything...) -- The client had contracted with me to a "life in review" show but also wanted me to develop a business presentation for his company (so in other words it was worth spending a bit to save the relationship and gain a very good reference and further business)....

Probably more than you wanted....

Take care,

Bob

Next

Return to Business Applications