stop clients from copying dvds

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Esteemed Member

Postby shazmark » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:16 am

tnx for all your feedback,
I hope I havent caused any trouble but I think it is good for us all to express how we feel,
the client I have owns a nightclub and the copies she wants are for three screens she has throughout the levels of the club, she wants me to make two extra copies as well as the original when I complete the show. my shows dont include music as they suply the music themselves being a club, the slides contain pics of the patrons. do you think it is fair of me to charge a fee for the two extra copies or not
tnx again shazmark

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:04 am

Shazmark,

I stand strongly on this opinion........ it depends.......

Seriously, it really depends on a number of issues (at least for me).... First ask yourself, is making copies going to cut into your profit margin to where you can't tolerate it? Will you buy more "good will" (and that means more business) for providing the request that out weights most all other considerations? (I could see a "nightclub" as giving you more exposure -- well depending on what kind of club --- ok that was an attempt at humor)... Really, are you going to have any advertising ability at the club? and if not how about swapping some for the copies for leaving flyers or even having a very tastefully done slide at some point in your show (client approving of course)..

To me copies are a good will jesture (as long as it isn't ridiculus -- and only you can decide that).... but you have the right to charge and it would be reasonable to charge $5-15.... or more since it is a commercial venue.

I'm curious as to whether or not the patrons know they will be put on screens around the establishment? (did you take the pictures or were they provided?) -- I see you know about public performance of music and have that covered but.... the reason I ask is there is a certain expectation regarding commercial use of people's images that you might consider... since this is a business the commercial use of the photos is to attract loyalty and business... therefore technically you should have model releases for the individuals being displayed (if they are reconginzable).... I do some "event" photography and if the image is going to be used for "news type publications" I typically don't need a model release... however, if I use the same image for commercial purposes then model releases are a must... I am POSITIVE this may generate a potentially heated discussion but I just thought I'd mention it to you (no one may mind.... but it does only take that one person who wasn't supposed to be at the club that night with that other certain person who now is their with the "correct" person when thier mug shows up on the big screen - to cause trouble for you)....

Take care,

Bob

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:41 pm

Bob -- thanks. Absolutely not more than I wanted. Thanks for sharing.

I suspected that both of these offers would actually be used by clients pretty rarely--your experience, so far, bears that out. The "lifetime" (whose lifetime? BTW :wink: ) seems really powerful as a clincher to close a contact and it's something that would be unique to you or close to it (well, until now that is!)

So we don't completely drift this away from the original topic, I'm going to post my thoughts and a question to you (and everyone running this kind of business) in a new thread.

Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

images-that-move

Postby images-that-move » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:13 pm

Dick,

I'll keep a look out for the new thread... but to tie this back to the original question... I think these offers go a long way in providing an easy avenue for "copying" thus helps to eliminate some of the "illegal" copying that can and does take place... It is a choice between "enforcing" our rights or finding ways to cooperate with our client / customer's intent for making copies...

Anyway, I'll look for the new thread...

Bob

shoebox

Postby shoebox » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:22 am

Okay.... My 2Cents...

I agree with NannyBear. That is the same way I conduct my business. I have a splash with LOGO Presents at the beginning of the show and Copyright at the end. So if someone copies the show, whoever watches it will know where it came from. And if they want to copy it and send it to 500 people, let them. Just more exposure for me.

I also lightscribe, and wrap it all up in a High Quality Case. The presentation is well and received well. If they want to copy, they are more then welcome to. They won't have the original artwork to do the cases or label. I've not had anyone do this yet. I've made over 70 copies from different shows, one here and one there. The 10dollars that I charge for the extra copy is more than worth their hassle.

If WB/Sony/Disney/Paramount .... etc. Can't stop people from making DVD copies neither can we.

Previous

Return to Business Applications