Just wanting to know....

Run your own business? Want to start one? Discuss business applications of ProShow Gold and Producer here.
Ross Alexander

Just wanting to know....

Postby Ross Alexander » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:38 pm

Hi, Ross again :D
And I have been studying like mad with the time that I have available, and I have a question… again.

What makes a good show? To be more specific what are the mechanics of a good show? Is there a rule on time, how much is too much, you know, where you lose your audience, and speaking of audience, do you have different guidelines that you use for different audiences? Do you have a maximum number of pictures and transitions that you should use per minute of time? Photography has rules, or guidelines, the rule of thirds, fashion lighting verses portrait lighting, cropping rules. Are there rules when it comes to making up slide shows? Do the rules change when you add video? What about music rules, do you follow the beat, timing out slides, or do you let it wander? And concerning music, when do you follow the copyright laws? If it is for personal use is it ok to use copyrighted music? Copyrighting is a big deal in photography!

Ok how about a totally different topic? Pricing. I know I am just getting into this gig, and am far from ready to sell anything, but what are the industry standards? Photography has people who always undercut, who don’t have a business license, don’t charge sales tax or pay taxes and in the age of digital everything, anyone can put out an ok product. And of course it hurts the pro’s who do play by the rules. Which brings up another question…. How do you know when you are a pro? Is there a test, or a peer group that judges your work?

Ok how about this question…. Am I just over thinking everything? So much for one question?

Thanks, Ross

dnmilikan

Re: Just wanting to know....

Postby dnmilikan » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:57 pm

Hello,

You will probably get a lot of different answers to your question. I think that rather than going with some of the canned approaches and answers I have heard I will tell you that the length of the show will depend on your intended audience, the means of viewing, and how interesting you can make your show. I don't agree that a three minute show is any more optimal than a 30 minute movie would be.

A show can be something far more than the typical wedding, family reunion, first communion affair that you will observe a lot of. A show can be used as graphic reinforcement of a sales presentation or an artistic production in which you express the depths of your soul. These later considerations can produce more monetary return and personal satisfaction than all of the "mom and the kids" productions.

The addition of video can serve to generate interest because it is a break from still images. Video will cause a drastic increase in the data size of your show. Video while not unduly difficult is different from still photography. This different process will entail a learning curve. The cost of video recording equipment can make expenditures made on still image devices seem like childs play.

Most people use a single or multiple music tracks but that can be enhanced a great deal by using sound effects to break the audio stream and the tedium of listening to a track that someone else produced. I have observed very few here that go to the trouble of using specific and appropriate sound effects...probably because they do not want to go to the effort that this would require.

Since you mentioned rules in photography, I think that since we are dealing with still images converted to a video stream that a review of compositional considerations in art will stand anyone getting involved with this in a better position. This would be a study of the use of vanishing points, aerial perspective, object placement, diminishment of scale, radial balance, symetrical balance, asymetricial balance, and aspects of form etc.

In the final analysis it is you who will determine when you are proficient at this business.

Donald Miller
Last edited by dnmilikan on Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ProShow Hall of Fame

Postby DickK » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:11 pm

Ross,

Yeah, I think you're over-thinking it a bit. Uhh... don't ask how I recognize the symptoms. ;)

If you're doing this as a business then there's one fundamental rule and that's "make the customer happy". If you're doing that then you have clients. Not much else matters.

Everything after that is going to be a matter of opinion and that person's experience--it may apply and it may not. I'm not doing this as a business for several reasons but the reasons aren't too important except that my look at the economics said this wouldn't be a bad supplement to another job or a retirement job but the return on hours invested didn't look attractive for me.

Regardless of what it is that we're thinking of doing, the best advice I've gotten/read on this sort of thing is simply this:
1. Do it for the passion, never mind the money.
2. If not that's possible then don't quit the other job, let the new "thing" grow until you can't do both, then choose.

What's a good show? One the client likes and pays for. What I think or you think is a good one may be different from what they want but they have to "win" that discussion. Very broad, general guidelines I think will apply most of the time would be:
* Do what you can to make their pictures look good.
* Find a story in the pictures and tell it.
* Keep it reasonably simple, they want it to be "cool" but they're not paying to see how fancy you can be.

There are a few threads here on the "good show" topic (a couple below that might be relevant) but one thing you can do is to simply watch a whole bunch of them and literally take notes.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=14747
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2702

Keep in mind that unless you're doing this entirely with your own photos--possible if you're doing this as a supplement to a photoshoot--then you're building something with their pictures so you'll generally be dealing with snapshots of highly variable quality to be kind.

I don't think there's really an "industry" here separate from the photo business itself. Like that, I'd guess the majority of people using ProShow for slide shows are doing it quite locally so you may have little or no competition in a single city. On the other hand the barrier to entry is extremely low so anyone can basically decide to jump into this business at the proverbial drop-of-a-hat.

Good luck,
Dick
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." Aristotle ((PSG, PSE & Fuji HS20 user)) Presentation Impact Blog

Ross Alexander

Postby Ross Alexander » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Wow thanks guys; I think you both gave me enough to chew on that it will shut me up for a while! Donald, you opened up this endeavor I am starting to peruse into possibilities that I haven’t thought of. My main focus has been how I could use this to help my wife’s photography business, and until I get good at that, I won’t be pursuing other avenues. You said so much about learning the craft, and what direction I could go in to study up on it. Thank you! Dick.... to find the story.... that is pretty good! How do you find a story in a senior shoot, or maternity and newborn for that matter? These are what my wife shoots. We don’t follow a senior’s life. We have got maybe one to three hours to capture a moment in time for them. There might be clothing changes or the use of props, but to develop a story out of that? Educate me! I spent a few minutes on your blog.... it is now book marked.... thank you! And the threads you suggested... good stuff!

Postby HunnyB » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:39 am

Your show theme will decide your song choice. Your song(s) choice will decide the pace, and as far as I have learned ---- over 20 minutes and you have lost your audience.
Your slide timing will be set to the feel of the music. At least this is how I do a show. :D
HunnyB
PSP4, Canon EOS Rebel T1i, Canon EF70-300mm lens, Dell Studio XPS 9100 desktop w/ blu-ray burner & Windows 7; hpMedia center pc370n desktop; Gateway Laptop; Epson 4990 scanner; hpC5280 Printer; Adobe CS5; QuarkXpress 8

Postby rcsteimer » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:52 pm

Check out section one of the forum book.

http://www.proshowenthusiasts.com/files/TheForumBook_Menu.pdf

Bob
Bob S
Rochester, NY

Nikon D70 & D90
Windows 7 & Adobe Elements 9 & Producer 4.5

Ross Alexander

Postby Ross Alexander » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:37 pm

You all are really funny! :wink: you have given me enough material for at least a month.... see you in May!

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:10 am

Hi Ross,

Your wife has a photography business and you want to do slideshows. That is what I consider "perfect".

You don't have to tell a story in all slideshows. Like you mentioned in a Senior slideshow. You can offer to do her life up to now (extra charge) And then top it off with her Senior Pictures montage.

Watch my Senior show here, I did this girls entire life up to this point, and that was story enough. But when I came to her Senior pics, I just wanted make it fun. Even if I hadn't done her early years and just did her senior pics, I would have choosen to do it the same.

http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/samples/

scroll to Senior Pics.

Regards,
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Ross Alexander

Postby Ross Alexander » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:50 pm

Thanks Patricia, I loved the show and picked out a few more slide styles that i will need to get someday. do you make your own or purchase them?
Ross

Esteemed Member

Postby Patricia_C » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:30 pm

I buy them from whomever I can get them from. I don't think I'll ever have the know how to do what they do :D
Patty Cantu
Digital Heirloom Studios
http://digitalheirloomstudios.com/

Return to Business Applications